Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 19:22   #91

Re: Don't quit yet, but here some advice...

I think the OP hit on the fact that sometimes dreams and reality do not always play well together. I've certainly had a few "this kind of sucks" sail days over the years but, then they are out weighed by getting to those spots where I'm the only boat around and just enjoying each and every moment spent there:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: WHY I GO CRUISING.
I've mentioned here before about the charter my gal and I had in the Maldives. A cruiser I met before the trip thought the area was one of the most boring places he had ever been to and could not wait to leave the area but, it was one of our most memorable trips. Also know that sometimes those little islands with the single palm tree called "Paradise Island" on the postcards is also known as No See Um or Mosquito Island by the locals.
I've also gotten some great tips and knowledge from fellow sailors here on CF and in my travels. In the Exumas last May some folks tipped me off to a geological museum in my local area that I never knew was there. I finally checked it out on a recent cruise and very much enjoyed visiting it. You can learn a lot from the experiences of others that may help decide where and what you want to do. For example I think I'll leave the boat delivery business to people like boatman61 and atoll after hearing about some of their experiences. I get to deal with enough issues on my boat and don't really think I'd ever want the hassle of dealing with them on someone else's boat. I agree with Zeehag keep your expectations low and you will constantly be surprised. A good mixture of "following the dream" along with the reality that some days will be better than others is IMO the best way to set out on the journey.
Old 08-11-2012, 19:42   #92
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
Here is how I've expressed it: "The cause of disappointments is expectations. If you don't have expectations, you won't be disappointed."

TO THE OP:
The forum has traditionally been tough on newbies, even to the point of plain rudeness. You don't have to defend yourself or your experience.

If you had done anything differently, these same people would be beating on you that you should "just get out and do it", and that "even a 27 foot boat can be a good place to start."

Now they are trashing you for doing that very thing! I for one commend your get-out-and-do-it attitude and approach. It is exactly what I would have done, had I been in your circumstances. You took naturally to the mechanics of sailing, as I did. I think we're a lot alike.

I look forward to hearing from you again as to whether you will keep your boat, whether you'll move back on land, or if you are thinking of retooling for a 2nd shot at it!

WBS!

Have expectations. Have HIGH expectations -- but be ready to adjust. I don't think it's a crisis to be disappointed. It can lead to creativity and problem-solving.

Just don't let your expectations keep you in such rigid lockstep that you're not available for delightful surprises.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 19:47   #93
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
I don't get this, at least for me. I bought a little boat and taught myself to sail. I bought Sail Trim by Don Guilette and got much better. My first voyage on my own big boat ended up blowing 68 and gusting to 80. We did just fine. I suppose that some folks are naturals and some aren't. Is that a slight? No, just a statement. I never really had to think about sailing, no matter the conditions. I just sailed the boat....

Actually I do think I'm a "natural." I get it, but that doesn't mean there's not a lot to learn. Maybe I had *too much* instruction (grin) ... but where I've learned the most is when I've taken the boat out by myself. Far too many people are amazed when I say I do that. Do they think a giant squid is going to come up and grab me or something?

My first boat was my best teacher, because it would do whatever I toldit to do -- no matter how unfortunate an idea it was.

The book I learned a great deal just from reading was (don't giggle now!) -- Sailing for Dummies. When I found myself in a rough following sea and then all sorts of things started to go wrong, things I had read in that book helped tremendously.

I recommend that book to every beginner I meet.
Old 08-11-2012, 20:13   #94
KJB

Boat: Mason 38 CC Ketch

I still do not understand what all the hoopla is about. The man truthfully related an experience (which takes courage) and many seem offended at it. At the days end - I think it was a real good post.

From my viewpoint, he in no way maligned sailing - he only offered a perspective about it which is often overlooked. Kudos to the OP!
KJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 20:59   #95

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJB View Post
I still do not understand what all the hoopla is about. The man truthfully related an experience (which takes courage) and many seem offended at it. At the days end - I think it was a real good post.

From my viewpoint, he in no way maligned sailing - he only offered a perspective about it which is often overlooked. Kudos to the OP!
Hey...no offense...but stick around and you'll get more of a drift how we relate to one another. It's easy when you're new to get the wrong idea. By not understanding what hoopla is all about just creates more hoopla.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:31   #96

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
if one carries expectations in life, one will be most disappointed much of the time (...)
Yes! +1!

When one carries expectations, probably half of the time they will be disappointed, the other half they will be probably happy! Think chasing the rabbit.

When one carries no expectations, they are either dead or not human!

To expect to carry no expectations is an expectation in itself and thus nulls all and any virtue ;-)

Love,
barna
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:12   #97

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Yes! +1!

When one carries expectations, probably half of the time they will be disappointed, the other half they will be probably happy! Think chasing the rabbit.

When one carries no expectations, they are either dead or not human!

To expect to carry no expectations is an expectation in itself and thus nulls all and any virtue ;-)

Love,
barna
Wow Barny! That deep!
My motto is simply "Don't worry, be happy"

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:15   #98

Quote:

How dare you agree with someone offering an honest assesment of his experiences. You'll soon be told your wrong for appreciating this........oooops already happened, just see the post below yours
xdeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:22   #99

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdeeman View Post
How dare you agree with someone offering an honest assesment of his experiences. You'll soon be told your wrong for appreciating this........oooops already happened, just see the post below yours
The theme of the post wasn't actually just an "honest assesment of his experiences". The title was "Don't quit yet, but here some advice..." and the conclusion was "buy a power boat".
But, hey, each to his own.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:09   #100

Boat: O'Day 28

One thing's sure: SaucySailoress has taken the day off. She'd have NEVER allowed that vague title to go uncapitalized nor let the grammatical error stand. Saucy come back!
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:24   #101

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Wow Barny! That deep!
My motto is simply "Don't worry, be happy"
That's it!

I am just such a chatter box ;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:59   #102
KJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Hey...no offense...but stick around and you'll get more of a drift how we relate to one another. It's easy when you're new to get the wrong idea. By not understanding what hoopla is all about just creates more hoopla.
Hey CS. I fully get where you're coming from. And I respect it. I also know that I have a lot to learn about a lot of things (as most do). That however does not detract from the fact that this forum (as I understand it) is about the free expression (unless its guns, religion or politics) of ideas. I still do not view the OP's post as derogative towards sailing or sailors - just his personal expression and ideas about his experience(s).

Respectfully: If I have to agree with everyone about everything - that is not freedom or liberty - I do not agree about buying powerboat instead (but who cares), I can still appreciate the post for what it was intended to be.

And if, as another poster put it - this forum is about encouraging one another - then why not do that! if one reads in the OP's post any hint(s) of discouragement, then encourage him! If he accepts it, great - if not, at least we did what was right and ethical.

Only my 2 cents.
Old 09-11-2012, 13:33   #103
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
The theme of the post wasn't actually just an "honest assesment of his experiences". The title was "Don't quit yet, but here some advice..." and the conclusion was "buy a power boat".
But, hey, each to his own.

You ask a question on the 'net, you'll get all kinds of answers.

Take the best and skip the rest.
Old 09-11-2012, 14:03   #104

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Hey CS. I fully get where you're coming from. And I respect it. I also know that I have a lot to learn about a lot of things (as most do). That however does not detract from the fact that this forum (as I understand it) is about the free expression (unless its guns, religion or politics) of ideas. I still do not view the OP's post as derogative towards sailing or sailors - just his personal expression and ideas about his experience(s).

Respectfully: If I have to agree with everyone about everything - that is not freedom or liberty - I do not agree about buying powerboat instead (but who cares), I can still appreciate the post for what it was intended to be.

And if, as another poster put it - this forum is about encouraging one another - then why not do that! if one reads in the OP's post any hint(s) of discouragement, then encourage him! If he accepts it, great - if not, at least we did what was right and ethical.

Only my 2 cents.
It can be endless...he said...she said...My feeling is on a forum people would say things that they would not necessarily say face to face. Usually when people are new on a forum like this, they are trying to make a name for themselves. Most of the members were just commenting on the negative tone of the OP. When asked if he chartered, what kind of boat and what not...no answer came forth. Some of us that have been here for awhile see this from time to time and it can be an indicator of B.S. or a person lacking all skills to sail a boat and members get a little suspicious.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 14:20   #105
KJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
It can be endless...he said...she said...My feeling is on a forum people would say things that they would not necessarily say face to face.

Yea, I know. So the question that is begging to be asked is..."Why are you doing it"?

Usually when people are new on a forum like this, they are trying to make a name for themselves.

I actually thought I was being fairly moderate.

Most of the members were just commenting on the negative tone of the OP. When asked if he chartered, what kind of boat and what not...no answer came forth. Some of us that have been here for awhile see this from time to time and it can be an indicator of B.S. or a person lacking all skills to sail a boat and members get a little suspicious.
[B]Perhaps we should all bow to the illuminati. After all, what could any one know about anything unless you great ones tell us?

Seriously, It's only a post.