Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2016, 13:21   #181

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: Dont tell anyone, but I think the earth is flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topmast View Post
Light can be bent/refacted/ reflected by boundary layers of moist air or temperature differences over not too great distances.Reflection of sky on ice can fool you too. just seeing what you think you see doesn't mean you saw what you thought .

like you'd not believe.

I would not have believed this with my own eyes.

One fine summer day I stopped along the shoreline. The Wednesday evening race was on- but I was shocked that they were so close! They were only a mile away, whereas the place they normally race is about five miles.

Then I noticed another group of sailboats out where the race should be. And then I was shocked to see that the pattern, the colors, everything, of the two groups was identical.

The sailboat fleet I initially saw so close was a perfect reflection (non inverted) or mirage or whatever, replicated some five miles away.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 13:34   #182

Boat: Mirage 35

Careful, folks - this discussion can get dangerous:
Police, firefighters called in after flat Earth debate turns heated - Ottawa - CBC News

Old 17-08-2016, 13:35   #183

Boat: Mirage 35

Was going to mention - the story doesn't say anything, but I've heard alcohol was involved.
Old 20-08-2016, 13:35   #184

I sailed my boat off the flat earth and lost it I'm space. The insurance company refused to pay

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 21-08-2016, 08:37   #185

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

Some time back I was sailing way out in the Pacific. I was running with the wind, doing 18 knots, with the ocean current in my favor. I had the symmetrical out. I felt the boat accelerate. When I looked out, there was the end! I quickly made a 180 degree turn. Went into the wind, against the current with the symmetrical out. That was a close one! Honest! If too many of you out there, do not believe me, I will not run for public office.
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 08:51   #186

Quote:
Light can be bent/refacted/ reflected by boundary layers of moist air or temperature differences over not too great distances.Reflection of sky on ice can fool you too. just seeing what you think you see doesn't mean you saw what you thought .
Yup off of Greenland(should be called whiteland) we had the illusion of being at the bottom of a huge bowl with the surrounding ocean thousands of feet above us. Looked like we were sailing up a steep hill. Another time saw Iceland floating in the sky upside down. Those layers can really produce some remarkable phantoms.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 09:37   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuentes View Post
Some time back I was sailing way out in the Pacific. I was running with the wind, doing 18 knots, with the ocean current in my favor. I had the symmetrical out. I felt the boat accelerate. When I looked out, there was the end! I quickly made a 180 degree turn. Went into the wind, against the current with the symmetrical out. That was a close one! Honest! If too many of you out there, do not believe me, I will not run for public office.
the mere fact that you told your story here, in public, with such conviction would indicate you should not only run for public office but perhaps even President of U.S.? you have my vote!
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 09:40   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Which is round? One is about 2 percent larger in one direction.
difficult to tell really.......but both definitely appear flat though.
Old 21-08-2016, 17:11   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
the mere fact that you told your story here, in public, with such conviction would indicate you should not only run for public office but perhaps even President of U.S.? you have my vote!
I second this motion!

And very interesting comment on Whiteland reflecting light like that.
Deep Blue Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 17:14   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
like you'd not believe.

I would not have believed this with my own eyes.

One fine summer day I stopped along the shoreline. The Wednesday evening race was on- but I was shocked that they were so close! They were only a mile away, whereas the place they normally race is about five miles.

Then I noticed another group of sailboats out where the race should be. And then I was shocked to see that the pattern, the colors, everything, of the two groups was identical.

The sailboat fleet I initially saw so close was a perfect reflection (non inverted) or mirage or whatever, replicated some five miles away.
Wow like a weird time loop or something! Wonder if that's what happened to the Titanic.
Old 21-08-2016, 17:21   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeLevel View Post
All joking aside I am convinced the earth is in fact not round. Certainly not like images (supposedly) taken in space always depict.

I have lived in the high arctic close to the pole and can tell you the earth is most definitely not round. I've heard it described as more an oval shape, but even that does not explain the anomaly I witnessed.

Case in point. On a clear day my co-worker walked directly away from me and within about a mile of linear distance he disappeared over the horizon. This was always a safety issue when mobile because you literally couldn't see anyone or anything further away than that. If my tracks were erased by blowing snow, without definable landmarks there was no certain way to find my way back to base.

Compare this to the ability to see landmarks for many miles distant at lower latitudes. Photoshop or its equivalent has been space travels closest friend from the very beginning.
Fascinating.
Old 21-08-2016, 21:08   #192

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

Mid to late summer off Victoria almost guarantees a mirage as cold air come in off the larger Juan de Fuca Some times it goes over the local warm air and sometimes it forces under the warm if it's a N land breeze. Either way The coast, ,Dallas Rd and Trial Island all get the weird treatment. And the Coho can be upside down or mirrored with masts touching or just be way up there. What looks like cliffs aren't .Tall lighthouse from a low shack ,Maybe looks like fog or just sky Or it just disappears and all is sky. You get used to it. Then there are my Arctic stories.
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 08:33   #193

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Something about the marge of Lake Labarge ?
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 08:57   #194

Quote:
Mid to late summer off Victoria almost guarantees a mirage as cold air come in off the larger Juan de Fuca Some times it goes over the local warm air and sometimes it forces under the warm if it's a N land breeze. Either way The coast, ,Dallas Rd and Trial Island all get the weird treatment. And the Coho can be upside down or mirrored with masts touching or just be way up there. What looks like cliffs aren't .Tall lighthouse from a low shack ,Maybe looks like fog or just sky Or it just disappears and all is sky. You get used to it. Then there are my Arctic stories.
Yes, same from our side looking North, from Victoria to Cattle Pass, the land mass at times looks stretched out vertically x10 and other times it doubles with one imagine floating over the other, what looks to be thousands of feet higher. Very cool.
Old 22-08-2016, 09:22   #195

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

I love to see some pictures of these mirage or inverted landscape images.

Going to Google search now.

Any suggestions for search phrases?

BTW, there are some entertaining YouTube videos on the "flat earth" topic. People amaze me.