Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2016, 17:21   #16

Re: Dont tell anyone, but I think the earth is flat.

Damn you can't believe a Dang thing on the internet. They let you research what they want you to research.

So your lab was located at the 77th parallel? Maybe it was the 80th parallel... did you get to visit the south pole Yeti?
Deep Blue Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 17:27   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards26 View Post
If the world were flat, a person could sit in California with a telescope and see Hawaii....but you can't do that.
It is flat! Just ask Sarah Palin, she can see Russia from her porch!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 17:34   #18

Boat: Cascade 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue Blues View Post
Damn you can't believe a Dang thing on the internet. They let you research what they want you to research.

So your lab was located at the 77th parallel? Maybe it was the 80th parallel... did you get to visit the south pole Yeti?
I unfortunately was not able to visit the South Pole Station.

I was however able to conform the basic position of McMurdo while learning how to use a sextant. The Air National Guard Squadron that flies between McMurdo and SPS use celestial navigation as there primary. There lead navigation officer offered classes to the RIYCA (Ross Island Yacht of Antarctica) members.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 18:03   #19

No one gets to see the south pole...

Did you happen to record flight times to different destinations? Did any seem longer or shorter than what you'd expect?

I've never met someone that's been there. Forgive me.
Old 22-04-2016, 18:07   #20

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

When I sailed south to Antarctica I went over the south magnetic pole. My compass stopped pointing south and instead pointed straight down.

Thus was deeply concerning as I was rather afraid that this indicated that I was about to sail over the edge of the world.

Fortunately in that part of the world the ice cliffs stop the water escaping, and these acted like a fence to stop our good ship (and its fine crew)plunging off the edge of the known world.

A disaster was averted and we quickly hightailed it back north.

However I am now very worried that global warming will melt these ice cliffs and all the water will drain away...
Old 22-04-2016, 18:16   #21

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
It is flat! Just ask Sarah Palin, she can see Russia from her porch!
That was Tina Fey, Sarah had to go all the way to Little Diomide.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 18:16   #22
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Also, a big reason, Flights from Argentina to Australia have made emergency stops in Alaska/Seattle/San fransico. Why so far north when they should fly over Antarctica to save fuel and time.

I shouldn't tell you this but I was a plane from Sydney, Australia to Tasmania which is due SOUTH of Sydney, when the plane starts to fill with smoke, not a huge amount but sure as hell something forward was burning and we did an emergency landing. As soon as we touched down we were surrounded by RUSSIAN soldiers! I could tell from their insignia and what they were saying (nostrovia). And it was icy! Snow everywhere, which we don't have in Australia. So how could we have flown to Russia? Its just not possible! Unless...! So they got the fire cleared and we took off again and that's when I KNEW it was Russia: 2 soldiers playing sheep games with a Polar Bear!!

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 18:38   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
When I sailed south to Antarctica I went over the south magnetic pole. My compass stopped pointing south and instead pointed straight down.

Thus was deeply concerning as I was rather afraid that this indicated that I was about to sail over the edge of the world.

Fortunately in that part of the world the ice cliffs stop the water escaping, and these acted like a fence to stop our good ship (and its fine crew)plunging off the edge of the known world.

A disaster was averted and we quickly hightailed it back north.

However I am now very worried that global warming will melt these ice cliffs and all the water will drain away...
See on a globe or map, that's impossible. The True south pole is over land and 2 miles of ice.

But if the world's surface was flat and disk shaped, then true south is the exact same distance from the true north center point in every direction. The edge of the disc would read nothing on the compass.

If that were so, then what you said can be true. You could be in the ocean instead of standing on two miles of ice and land and be at true south.

If you're joking, it was a good one.
Old 22-04-2016, 18:41   #24

[QUOTE=MarkJ;2104132]I shouldn't tell you this but I was a plane from Sydney, Australia to Tasmania which is due SOUTH of Sydney, when the plane starts to fill with smoke, not a huge amount but sure as hell something forward was burning and we did an emergency landing. As soon as we touched down we were surrounded by RUSSIAN soldiers! I could tell from their insignia and what they were saying (nostrovia). And it was icy! Snow everywhere, which we don't have in Australia. So how could we have flown to Russia? Its just not possible! Unless...! So they got the fire cleared and we took off again and that's when I KNEW it was Russia: 2 soldiers playing sheep games with a Polar Bear!!

And there are NO polar bears in ANTARCTICA so you KNEW it was RUSSIA amidst the 23 hour flight that covered only a thousand miles.

Haha
Old 22-04-2016, 18:55   #25

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

So if the earth has gone flat ... and if we have to re-inflate ... it how many strokes of a bicycle pump would it take if each stroke delivered 1 liter of air and we wanted 20 psi inflation pressure?

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 18:55   #26

Funny how Snowpetrel found magnetic south but Yeti didn't. Wonder what that location was on Yeti's Sexton positioning.
Old 22-04-2016, 18:56   #27

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
See on a globe or map, that's impossible. The True south pole is over land and 2 miles of ice.

But if the world's surface was flat and disk shaped, then true south is the exact same distance from the true north center point in every direction. The edge of the disc would read nothing on the compass.

If that were so, then what you said can be true. You could be in the ocean instead of standing on two miles of ice and land and be at true south.

If you're joking, it was a good one.
I joke not! Indeed as we aproached the very bottom of our charts (note that the chart was a flat paper) the compass started to loose its way, as if it couldn't decide which way was south. It swung wildly every which way until in a moment of sheer genius I decided to rotate the compass so it pointed up/down.

Alarmingly the compass settled immediately on down. Fortunately by this time we were already on our way home after being thwarted on our voyage to the south by the large ice cliffs.

Little did we know just how close we had come to disaster!
Old 22-04-2016, 18:58   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
So if the earth has gone flat ... and if we have to re-inflate ... it how many strokes of a bicycle pump would it take if each stroke delivered 1 liter of air and we wanted 20 psi inflation pressure?

S/V B'Shert
Deflated earth? And I thought I ws the weird one haha!
Old 22-04-2016, 19:25   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
I joke not! Indeed as we aproached the very bottom of our charts (note that the chart was a flat paper) the compass started to loose its way, as if it couldn't decide which way was south. It swung wildly every which way until in a moment of sheer genius I decided to rotate the compass so it pointed up/down.

Alarmingly the compass settled immediately on down. Fortunately by this time we were already on our way home after being thwarted on our voyage to the south by the large ice cliffs.

Little did we know just how close we had come to disaster!

I hear there is 10k miles of ice between that wall and the actual edge. That's why people can't find it. Nothing sold to the public can travel 10k miles over or under the ice. Especially without navigational aids.

It's all so obvious to my vivid imagination.

I think I might have sailed along its edge for as long as they'd let me.

Snowpetrel, did you ever get approached by a governing body down there?
Old 22-04-2016, 20:22   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post

S/V B'Shert
The earth's volume is approximately 1.083e24 liters.

Assume that you pump 1 liter each second.
Before you start to pressurize it, just inflating it will take 34,000 trillion years.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote