Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2016, 08:01   #106

Re: Dont tell anyone, but I think the earth is flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
Why is that people who have no clue, expound on technical subjects as though they were experts. Please comment on things within your area of expertice. Some of these hurt my eyes!
Look away if it hurts sensitive one. Don't click the pain. Laugh or ignore.
Deep Blue Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 08:05   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue Blues View Post
Look away if it hurts sensitive one. Don't click the pain. Laugh or ignore.
Now wait a minute there Deep, are you an expert on eye pain?
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 08:06   #108

Re: Dont tell anyone,pbut I think the earth is flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Air currents are stronger then gravity by more then a bit. Place the brick and needle in way outer space Like 1/2 way between star systems (not orbit) and in time they would be drawn together. Might be 1000 to 10,000 years. Gravity is the weak force. But on planetary scales measurable.
Don't ya just love solutions like this.

If we go to space we can prove gravity on earth.

I think things just follow the path of least resistance. Settle = gravity
Old 24-04-2016, 08:09   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
Now wait a minute there Deep, are you an expert on eye pain?
Touchè! I only speak from personal eye pain experience! Speaking of eye pain, no matter how hard you strain your eyes you will never see the curvature of the earth at 60 miles of altitude. They haven't sent home made rockets higher than that yet so we wait and see.
Old 24-04-2016, 08:23   #110

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Dont tell anyone, but I think the earth is flat.

[QUOTE=sailorchic34... Gravity is the weak force. But on planetary scales measurable.[/QUOTE]

Not such a week force as it acts exponentially. That's why if I eat 1/2 pound of cake I gain 2 pounds.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 08:29   #111

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
If gravity were real, you could drop a needle next to a brick from the top of a building and as they fell, the bricks gravity would draw the needle in. But it never does.
Again, I don't think you're serious, but will proceed as if you are (isn't that what trolling's all about, after all?)

The bricks do attract the needle, as does the rest of the matter that make up the building, and the attraction is probably measureable using modern technology. If the building were made of solid brick it would attract the needle more, and if it were solid steel it would attract it even more. But the combined force of the Earths' mass is much more than the force of even a solid steel building-sized block, so the path of the needle will only be deflected in its' path to the ground.

Of course that doesn't mean that large masses don't attract and have large effects horizontally (or would that be tangentially?) Here's an example (that I'm sure your global warming denier type compatriots {just couldn't resist} will take issue with) .

"The huge mass of water frozen in ice sheets exerts a powerful gravitational force that pulls on nearby seawater. This gravitational attraction must be taken into account when considering changes in sea level as ice sheets advance or retreat. Jerry Mitrovica likes to illustrate the importance of the gravitational attraction of ice sheets with a thought experiment: what would happen if Greenland suddenly melted? Averaged around the world, sea level would go up by about 23 feet, as water poured into the ocean around Greenland and spread throughout the oceans. The local story, however, would be quite different. Ocean water near the melting ice sheet would experience two opposing effects. On the one hand, the addition of melt water would raise the ocean higher. On the other hand, the loss of the ice sheet’s mass, and thus its powerful gravitational attraction, would cause the ocean’s surface to relax away from the former position of the ice sheet, lowering local sea level. Mitrovica discovered that within about 1,000 miles of Greenland, the balance of forces would favor lower sea level, leading to the counter-intuitive conclusion that sea level falls even though water is being added to the ocean. At the distance of Scotland, the opposing effects would counter each other and no net change in sea level would be observed. Even very far away from Greenland we would observe this gravitational effect -- since sea level would go down near the melting ice sheet, to make up the difference it would have to go up even higher, than the 23-foot average, on distant shores."
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 08:43   #112

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:
If gravity were real, you could drop a needle next to a brick from the top of a building and as they fell, the bricks gravity would draw the needle in. But it never does.
It always does. The needle as well as the brick make a (very, very, very, small) dent in spacetime. If they would not, the GPS on your boat would not work correctly.
adoxograph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 08:53   #113

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:
Air currents are stronger then gravity by more then a bit. Place the brick and needle in way outer space Like 1/2 way between star systems (not orbit) and in time they would be drawn together. Might be 1000 to 10,000 years. Gravity is the weak force. But on planetary scales measurable.
Gravity - strictly speaking - is not a force. It is the consequence of the curvature of spacetime, which is not flat because of an uneven distribution of mass and energy.

I guess I'm boring you to death right now ...
adoxograph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 09:30   #114

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Since the earth's crust, continents and seafloor, are actually floating on the mantle, who the hell can predict sea level.
Since the tides are causing the moon to slow down and the earth to speed up, is the moon eventually going to fly away, or crash into the Earth.
How many fairies can dance on the head of a pin?
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 10:09   #115

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
I'm calling this a win.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 10:09   #116

6. But only if they're on point.
Old 24-04-2016, 10:15   #117
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
Gravity - strictly speaking - is not a force. It is the consequence of the curvature of spacetime, which is not flat because of an uneven distribution of mass and energy.

I guess I'm boring you to death right now ...
Myself I think it could still be a force, though I do understand about Al's spacetime curvy thingy. It could be that way from a thought experiment. But it does not have to be that way. Sort of still open to speculation now isn't it.

Think quantum gravity. Do you really think a quark deflects spacetime. If gravity did not exist at the quantum level, how did the universe as we know it today form. Quantum Gravity and Unified Theories | Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics (Albert Einstein Institute)
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 10:20   #118

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
Since the earth's crust, continents and seafloor, are actually floating on the mantle, who the hell can predict sea level.
Since the tides are causing the moon to slow down and the earth to speed up, is the moon eventually going to fly away, or crash into the Earth.
How many fairies can dance on the head of a pin?
In Podunksville or San Fran?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 12:55   #119

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Elephants and a turtle.
As someone said, "That's silly. It's
turtles all the way down."
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 13:15   #120
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I'd like to know who got the "HERE BE DRAGONS" removed from all the nautical charts. When, as you can clearly see on Game of Thrones tonight, there still BE dragons and they're still very much a danger to anyone around them.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote