Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2016, 19:21   #316

Boat: Oyster 66
Re: Ever give up Booze?

Sat here after enjoyng the sunset to a rum punch. An apperitif with tidbits then a delicious home made dinner improved by some perfect red wine, followed by a little more wine and my favorite music. What could be better? It would certainly be worse without the booze, so the answer to your question is no, no way.

I know what i am doing though. I've seen a few very close to me destroy their lives and the lives of those around them with this stuff.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 20:13   #317

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

It's interesting...the people with the most to say are the ones with the most to loose. Reminds me of the Global warming/Climate change thread.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 20:16   #318
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

What? Didn't hear you. I was watching this fantastic:

World's Best Dad Gives Daughter Immersive Virtual Mountain Bike Tour On A Pink Trike - Digg
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 20:23   #319

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Wow, this thread has strayed quite a ways. the question was "ever give up booze?" About 1% stayed on tract others sound like people that stopped but haven't given up and still others that probably should stop and know it, but must justify that they don't need to and some of those try to change the subject to smoking. then there those that just don't have a clue.

no need to name anyone, as they would only hear it if they said it to themselves.

I'm an alcoholic named Lance. haven't had a drink in 25 years. I was sobs for most of the day, till I read this thread. After some self examination I cooled down and wrote this post. Maybe it will help someone.

BTW for those that are a little confused by the last. Sober is a way of thinking living and acting. No booze or drugs does not constitute sobriety. it's just not chemically intoxicated.

PEACE LUV & HAPPINESS
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 20:28   #320

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Hello, Lance. Thank you for sharing.
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 22:24   #321

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkrman69 View Post
Wow, this thread has strayed quite a ways. the question was "ever give up booze?" About 1% stayed on tract others sound like people that stopped but haven't given up and still others that probably should stop and know it, but must justify that they don't need to and some of those try to change the subject to smoking. then there those that just don't have a clue.

no need to name anyone, as they would only hear it if they said it to themselves.

I'm an alcoholic named Lance. haven't had a drink in 25 years. I was sobs for most of the day, till I read this thread. After some self examination I cooled down and wrote this post. Maybe it will help someone.

BTW for those that are a little confused by the last. Sober is a way of thinking living and acting. No booze or drugs does not constitute sobriety. it's just not chemically intoxicated.

PEACE LUV & HAPPINESS
25 years, well done.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 06:21   #322
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Ever give up Booze?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Ahh, but you are built tough. Tough tough tough. No nails. All screws. Hardwood with bung hole plugs. Others; not so lucky. Naybour: MBA finance; divorce w/ nice kid; catholic; well known and liked; big dude - really big truck; 200 showed up to his memorial get together incl chief of police and mayor.

But just drivin' that it ain't all controllable, to keep an open mind when it comes to education on this issue - Freudian bop-heads not.
Truth be told I aint that tough.. if I'd not been kicked outa the Navy I may well have gone over the edge in my efforts to 'Fit In'...
Once I'd finished my 18mths training in Ganges and Vernon I entered the mainstream with hardened old style Matelots.. 8-12 pints a night on a run ashore became the norm.. Scrumpy drinking contests in the Golden Fleece where the hard core saw the 1st to stop drinking paid for everyone.. some guys would heave up into their near empty pint and drink it.. any tactic to win.
I became an aggressive drunk who'd go wild and take on anyone in any number.. drowned and revived when I smashed up the Duty Officers station in Gibraltar and then tried swimming to Spain in my No1's for political asylum. Did every type of punishment they could throw at me.. the finale was Cape Town.. where after a crazy night and shining down the head rope of the Destroyer I was on and made a bid for freedom and 2 years in the SA Navy.
After serving time in MCTC Colchester it was Civvy St and I headed back to Portsmouth and the familiar pubs..
Got a job as a rigger in Pompey Dockyards.. Thursday afternoon would get my wages.. Tuesday morning would see me broke and hungry till payday when I'd gorge myself.. pay the pittance for me room at Aggie Westons (Navy YMCA.. I'd hung onto a spare Navy ID card)..
6mths of that and lots of trouble saw a visit by the cops one night to my room where it was basically leave town before noon or else..
No where to go home.. I headed for the car factories of the Midlands.. and 4 weeks sleeping in fields living on scraps and water till I started work and got my first wages got my head straightened a bit.. enough to see where I was headed and start managing my life.. and start using my rage a tad more constructively.. and.. I was 21.. time to grow up a bit.. lol
I'd not say I'm a Hard Man.. I lack the ruthlessness.. when sober..
Defiant fits the bill better.. And a little wiser.. I know where the edge of the abyss is and when to step back. Still have the boozers syndrome.. in fun company I'll drink till the bar close's..
I try stick to spirits on a session though as to much beer turns me nasty.
Nowadays I'm what they term a binge drinker.. go months with just a couple of small beers, a glass or 2 of wine now and then..
Then I'll finish a hard delivery and sometimes be out of my face for a couple of days after.. depending on if there's a 'good fun crowd' in the port..
Binge Drinking is the Buzz word these days I believe.
So.. I know my demons well.. and manage them.. as the jumper said as he went past each floor.. so far so good..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 06:40   #323
cruiser

@boaty wow. what a story
Old 26-03-2016, 06:55   #324
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
@boaty wow. what a story
Some may judge it sad or tragic..
To me looking back.. its Fookin Hilarious..

Old 26-03-2016, 07:49   #325

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

I'd not say I'm a Hard Man.. I lack the ruthlessness.. when sober..
Defiant fits the bill better.. And a little wiser.. I know where the edge of the abyss is and when to step back.

I knew where the edge of the Abiss was too. always worked paid my bills never borrowed. was told once that if i keep looking into the abiss I'd fall in. " Nah I can handle it" I said. The funny thing about the abiss. the edge keeps getting closer, till one day standing at the edge, it crumbled and I fell in. I got lucky and lived long enough to find a better way. Others I know personally didn't make it. today I thank them for the knowledge of where that path goes and I thank the others who held out a hand to guide me to another path. Life is grand to day with no darkness.

Lance B
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 08:07   #326
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well I've done it my way for the last 46yrs.. 68 this year so I doubt I'll change..
I view alcohol like the school bully.. once feared, always feared.. and for me that's too hard a road to travel..
But each to their own.. not a critique.. each individual has their own coping mechanism.. happy yours works for you

Old 26-03-2016, 08:09   #327

Boat: O'Day 28

If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story. O Welles

Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 08:18   #328
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Nail on the head Blue Crab..
Better to end with.. 'They sailed happily off into the Sunset' than..
'And two days later the boat was sunk in a storm and all died of hunger and thirst in the liferaft..'

Old 26-03-2016, 09:08   #329
cruiser

the whales made you do it boaty
Old 26-03-2016, 12:55   #330

Boat: O'Day 28

I'm just pleased to see you guys end that skirmish peaceably. It's like the God argument: nothing good comes from it. Ever.

We all go our own way or we die with regrets.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote