You're also allergik to soap!
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:19   #77
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Ever give up Booze?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
I had the same experience. Quitting drinking was an eye opener for finding out who my real friends were. One of my best friends told me to not call until I started drinking again!
wow heavy...
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:40   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
One of my best friends told me to not call until I started drinking again!
My guess would be that is a person who has a serious drinking problem themselves (even if they don't seem to) and they don't want non-drinkers around to remind them of it.

Kind of sad, really. But obviously someone that you needed to cut loose.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:56   #79

Boat: Bavaria 36H

I quit 14 year ago, had to to survive... Nobody knew exept the (then) wife. Realised the same as many others, some friends are not There any more
But, my life is good now, and If People around me get to drunk I just leave
Vilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:34   #80

Boat: 44'8" North Pacific Pilothouse Trawler

Just took the boatus safety course and passed. One of the statistics that educate are those that deal with boating and drinking (or being under the influence of. . .) Much more damage is caused than by drinking and driving. Something to think about.

My father was an alcoholic and when I went away to college he said, "You are very much like me, Eastern European. I think someday they will decide that alcoholism is in some genetic chain. Do give this a think." So I went away to college, drank about 3 times and have never had a drink since. Turns out you can now get yourself tested and indeed I am on the Eastern European variety that does not metabolize alcohol correctly.

I am now 70. I have lived through the tossing the drink in the potted plant, the being made fun of for ordering milk for dinner, through the no one really gives a hoot if you drink or not.

To drink or not to drink is like diabetes, (sugar - no sugar), gluten or lactose (allergic - not allergic). It's your decision and it's not worthy of a comment.

It can never hurt to have a good conversation about things that impact your health and safety or the health and safety of others.
Glacier Crews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:21   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Crews View Post
To drink or not to drink is like diabetes, (sugar - no sugar), gluten or lactose (allergic - not allergic). It's your decision and it's not worthy of a comment.
Good point. Imagine what an arse-wipe you would have to be to say to a diabetic, "Oh, come on. A couple of candy bars aren't going to hurt you. And if you won't eat them then you might as well leave."

But when it comes to alcohol, lots of people think that saying basically the same sort of thing is just fine.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:30   #82
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Bingo, as a kid I used to get drunk once and a while, and I mean falling down drunk.
Now if I drink very much, before I even get close to drunk, I get a headache, and a bad headache too. I wonder how my Brother did it?
I wonder the same about friends and family that drink a lot. Are some people just not susceptible to nasty hangovers?

Not that I'm dying to get totally sloshed on a regular basis but an occasional cold beer on a hot afternoon or a glass of wine when we splurge on a fancy dinner out would be nice without the painful consequences.

Maybe it's just another one of the "benefits" of getting older.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:32   #83

Boat: Mirage 35

I like my beer too much, but stop for short periods when circumstances dictate (like hiking trips where you carry the supplies for a week on your back). And I don't drink when underway.

Anecdote: A project I worked on threw all-food-and-drink-paid parties for the staff every few months; at one of them I decided to stay sober to see what it changed. Three things I noticed:
- I had to order Virgin Marys because if I didn't have a drink in my hand everyone would try to force one on me,
- The conversation wasn't nearly as entertaining as usual,
- I won the pool game.

Old 04-02-2016, 12:47   #84

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I wonder the same about friends and family that drink a lot. Are some people just not susceptible to nasty hangovers?
For what ever reason I almost never get a hangover anymore. Maybe its too much practice or that I don't drink as much as I used to, but now a days if I push it a little too far I may feel a little off in the morning but definitely tolerable
Old 04-02-2016, 13:07   #85

Boat: dinghies and monohulls small and large

Wow a thread less than a day old has nine pages! You may as well have asked - ever give up sailing?!

Personally, I think saying you're on a diet is the easiest excuse. Also, that you are cleaning up before X (new job, surgery, baby on the way....). After that, ya need to sober up to get more boat work done.
How true is that last one?
In fact, maybe that's why boaters drink so much, so they can kick the boat chores can down the road yet another day?

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Cherise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 13:09   #86

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Only once, 32 years ago. If you got a problem, the twelve steps work.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 13:20   #87

Boat: 1979 Watkins 27

After all this talk of booze....... I'm going to get a bottle of jagermeister.
chadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 13:26   #88

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

This is a strange thread. Funny at times, very serious, and darn right sad too

Im a little surprised no one wanted to pick up on and discuss legal limits around the world for operating a vessel whilst drinking. Because thats whats really relevant to us all.

As a former cop i had come across hundreds of people who 'think' they operated a car better whilst drinking. I even knew a cop who would claim that until one day he was the subject of a police persuit. It was NEVER the case. I suspect i know of two people who are pickled out on the water. But its simply not policed here and never has been. However, if they have an accident they will then be called to account.

I also suspect i currently work with someone who is an 'alcoholic' and its ruining her career. She is not ready to address it though. Most of the women i work with are pretty severe binge drinkers but not alcoholics.

Whilst i believe 'having a drink' is fine on a boat, there is no place for excessive drinking on a boat and becoming drunk. Not even when anchored.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 13:27   #89

Boat: Pearson 530

Worse 10 minutes of my life,,,,,,,,,,Budda boom!

My uncle worked at the brewery and drowned falling into a vat of whiskey. The rescuers had a hold of him twice but he bravely fought them off,,,,,,,,,,,,,Clash!

All U Get
Old 04-02-2016, 13:32   #90

Boat: Albin Vega 27

I walked into a bar and ordered my first beer at age 21. The waitress said "that would be 8$ please." I decided right then and there that my low wage job could not support this habit. I never turned back. It does seem however that I have just as much fun at a social event as my drunk friends, minus the hangover.
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote