Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2010, 09:55   #76

I really can't remember any real fear from being on the water even though there is always worry about things going wrong. Even at anchor in a Cat 1 hurricane I thought that even if that nylon anchor rode which was stretched out like a rubber band failed, we would still survive with the boat merely being washed up upon a muddy shore. Or another time when sailing under full sail and being hit by a 50 knot gust knocking the boat down on its side lasting for maybe 10 minutes, it was shear reaction to bring the boat to a heave to position with no time to think...just do. I was alone and did not have to worry about anyone else or bark out instructions so that helped. It's always after that fact that I seem to see how close I came to cashing in and that brings thoughts of ones' youth. Taking my honda 305 cc motorcycle up to 110 mph while in college or taking my parent's oldsmobile up to 120 when I first turned 16. But the nearest I came to fear was hiking Mt. St. Helens about 10 years after the blast. As my girlfriend and I were still within the treeline when I heard a rumbling and my thought was that an avalanche was coming down the mountain. I froze not knowing what actions to take and to this day I still remember that moment. There was no avalanche and we continued up to the top under near blizzard conditions but was unable to see down into the crater because of the conditions. And that too was probably not wise.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 06:59   #77

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
I have a fear of being laughed at so I'm not saying anything.
Que, sera, sera, whatever will be, will be....
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 09:26   #78

Boat: Slipper 42
The author Tristan Jones said that he always felt a tingle of fear at slipping the mooring lines and that without that feeling, it just wasn't worth doing. I've been doing this for 35 years; way up north and in the southern ocean, through storms and sunshine, even crossed the Atlantic, but old Tristan was right. You are challenging yourself to face whatever the sea can throw at you, with experience you learn that you, and your boat, are capable of much more than you dreamed. Caution, even a little aprehension, is good. Freezing, debilitating fear isn't. Your boat will outlast you. Trust it, if nothing else.
Motley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 09:30   #79
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 15:01   #80

Send a message via Yahoo to joey69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
What? Me worry?

I'm really worried someone will buy the boat I have my eye on down in Florida.

Now THAT is fear!

ME TOO !! MAY BE THE SAME BOAT.
joey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 15:24   #81

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
I fear that I'll buy a boat 300 miles from here and not be able to move it for three months and by then, only a recently used potti is left.
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 05:33   #82

Boat: contessa 32
Re: Fear

I have had many of the trepidations voiced here before a prolonged cruise.But after months on board I'm fearful that I will no longer be able to cut it on land any more. After all.there's the motor vehicle dept.,police traffic stops, tedium ,job interviews,lawn mower maintenance,dental appointments, tedium ,colonoscopies,the IRS,dog vaccinations.........did I say tedium?
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 05:40   #83

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
I have had many of the trepidations voiced here before a prolonged cruise.But after months on board I'm fearful that I will no longer be able to cut it on land any more. After all.there's the motor vehicle dept.,police traffic stops, tedium ,job interviews,lawn mower maintenance,dental appointments, tedium ,colonoscopies,the IRS,dog vaccinations.........did I say tedium?
Good post I could not have said it better. That is exactly how i feel, just had another colonoscopie last week. LOL... I need to get on board......
Mark1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 05:41   #84
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Fear

After 4yrs living on board full time in the Med I did a delivery back to the UK....
The owner gave me a lift from Peacehaven to London to a G/friends place where I was gonna stay for a few days....
Travelling along the multi laned M25 in the passenger seat for 20 odd miles had me more scared than any storm I'd experienced up till then.... or since..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 10:32   #85

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
After 4yrs living on board full time in the Med I did a delivery back to the UK....
The owner gave me a lift from Peacehaven to London to a G/friends place where I was gonna stay for a few days....
Travelling along the multi laned M25 in the passenger seat for 20 odd miles had me more scared than any storm I'd experienced up till then.... or since..
Exactly! On land, one is at the mercy of everyone else. At sea you rely on ones own good since and a quality boat, I hope.
Old 26-04-2011, 12:08   #86

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

I can't say that I've been afraid, even in some of my more silly stunts. Even in the worst situation, blown out jib, winds gusting to 75km and trying to turn into the lee of the headland at Killbear, with huge rocks going by only feet away, I've not been afraid. Anxious yes, afraid no. I'm too busy trying to figure my way out of the current mess. As many have mentioned, and that prayer in Dune says, fear is the mind killer. I've been lucky so far that I've not let it take over. I deal with the situation and then after its over, get the shakes.

But what is life without that rush? You need it from time to time, it keeps the mind sharp and the heart strong. Besides, if worse comes to worse, I'll be there are some pretty cool seas to sail on Tau Ceti IV. The soul endures and goes on.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 12:24   #87

Boat: grampian 26

A little fear is a good thing. It sharpens the mind and keeps you alive, it's the constant unrelenting fear that some suffer from that ruins the experience. How one overcomes the latter type is for therapists to figure out if you can afford the sessions. My main fear is smacking into someone while backing out of my slip or the engine dying during said manouver. It only happened once but the seed has been planted.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 12:32   #88

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

Anyone not afraid of the ocean, big whitewater, or the wind probably shouldn't own a boat. It's in dealing with these things that provides the required adrenalin rush and sense of accomplishment. I have a great fear of having to back my old keel-mounted-rudder ship into a slip singlehanded, with a cross current, gusty wind, and a crowd looking on. Yikes.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 08:59   #89

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I've been reading Moby Dick and came across this passage last night:

And by the way, thumbs up to the Kindle for letting me have web access to all the sections I highlight so it's easy to use them for blogs, etc.
I have many of the same concerns as mentioned already but one that I have never encountered and would be petrified if it happened would be being rammed by a whale. Never really thought about it in any great length and dismissed it on several occasions. Well watching the tube a few nights ago they had some show on about actual disasters and sure enough they had a 37 foot sailboat off the coast of California with 5 people on board and a grey whale rammed the side of the boat and sunk it. The people were all saved thanks to the epirb. I always thought whales had some kind of inner sonar that allowed them to sense you and avoid you.

Lesson form this. Dont watch the TV.
Sailing Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 09:18   #90

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Some people make their decisions because of their fear, some in spite of their fear. I try to do #2.
Everybody is afraid.

Fear even dominates the game of golf. I'm afraid I'll screw up this shot and miss. It doesn't ever really matter if anyone misses a golf shot. It won't affect the planet's rotation if you make it or miss. But we fear it. The best golfers manage that fear.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote