Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2020, 15:49   #31

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Have you gotten a disease or been poisoned while cruising?

Two major health considerations for visitors to Chile.
The first is Hanta Virus which can be fatal.... you may get that if you 'go bush' as many do and sleep in substandard accomodation where it is transmitted in an aerosol of rodent faeces and urine. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthohantavirus

The second - giardia or 'beaver fever' is easy to get in southern Chile... if you drink the wrong water.

One of my crew contracted it after drinking a glass of water while visiting another yacht.... I told her she should have stuck to rum....
Called 'beaver fever' ... you boys down the back of the room... stop that tittering!!!.... because beavers introduced to TdF over one hundred years ago for their fur are the main carriers.
Prevention is simple... either just fill your tanks with treated town water... even Puerto Williams treats their water... or take on water where you know it is coming directly off the ice.... preferably north of Estrecho de Magallanes..
Treatment is with a drug which by memory is sold over the counter as Flagyl but it takes a person a long time to come good...

Only health issue I have had over there was eating some escolar ( it didn't call it that on the menu!!) while in Montevideo which led to a nasty midnight attack of keriorrhea..........
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 15:55   #32

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Ciguatera, pneumonia, serious facial and eye injuries from a spotted eagle ray, yes it's happened to us while cruising over the years. Not to mention kidney stones, various infections and broken toes and fingers. If you cruise long enough you'll encounter setbacks. No different from living ashore except sometimes treated locally with limited resources, sometimes having to fly home.
Old 06-10-2020, 16:55   #33

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Have you gotten a disease or poisoned while cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmz View Post
They're sold by the bushel, not the case.
Is that 'cos they are found in bushes??

Many years ago in Southampton, UK, there was a very rough pub called 'The Juniper Berry' ...still there but now gentrified.

On the way to the heads you passed a big wall mural featuring lots of crabs of the aquatic variety.... across it it read 'It's no use standing on the seat... the crabs in here can jump 10 feet!'

Getting back on track.... I think it was the Admiralty publication 'The Mariners Handbook' had a section of hazards likely to face marooned sailors on tropical islands... one was a warning not to sleep under coconut palms due to the hazard posed by falling coconuts.
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 18:00   #34

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Well, beyond the usual mild infectious things, we've managed to be stricken with ciguaterra on three separate occasions. Not much fun for us, but a close friend came very near death from this disease in Vanuatu, and now, two decades later suffers mild symptoms on occasion.

We no longer eat fish from tropical inshore waters.

Jim
Old 06-10-2020, 18:21   #35

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Jim put his hand on a sea urchin while reaching for something else. Treatment is immersing the hand in VERY hot water (hot as the patient can tolerate), and the heat neutralizes the sting, and the pieces come out.

We both got amoebas in Mexico, and metronizadole (Flagyl) successfully treated that.

Jim also got a staph infection in Vanuatu. We were walking ashore, he got a scratch, and a fly walked on the wound. We disinfected the wound with povidone (an iodine based liquid)--as we have done against all coral cuts--but the infection had already started. We left the north of the island and returned to Santo (Luganville), where he saw a local [probably chief's daughter, judging from the facial tattoos] pharmacist, who sold him flucloxicillin, which eventually dealt with the problem.

Wasn't us, but a friend sustained a burn from spilled coffee. Treated that with "surgical" honey, satisfactorily.

Close friend got dengue in Mexico. Was sick for a long time.

We never took malaria prophylaxis tablets (most places really prefer that you don't, because they are poor countries, and they don't want their local mozzies to develop resistance to modern anti malarial drugs: they want to save those for treating their patients.) We were draconian about our use of long sleeves, insect repellents, and screens. We treated a double bed net with pyrethrins, and used it for a cockpit enclosure. Felt safe from the mozzies. And, we didn't go ashore after 4 PM. Yes you miss some things, but if you get "blackwater fever," you're likely to die.

Probably the scariest thing that happened was coming down with the Victoria A flu, 3 days after leaving New Zealand one time. I was so sick I couldn't even keep sips of water down. It's funny in retrospect because we thought we were both seasick, till we started running at the other end, too. But, we were so sick, we were hove to for 3 days--with NO ONE on watch. Then, Jim began to feel better, and we returned to NZ, and stayed for 2 weeks before i felt well enough to go back to sea. Took longer walks each day, to build up my health. It was being so very sick, and only one head, too that was scary. Like the family mentioned above, with cholera aboard, it must have been very, very goldarned difficult being sick and having to care for an incontinent child.

Ann
Old 07-10-2020, 01:56   #36

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Two major health considerations for visitors to Chile.
The first is Hanta Virus which can be fatal.... you may get that if you 'go bush' as many do and sleep in substandard accomodation where it is transmitted in an aerosol of rodent faeces and urine. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthohantavirus

The second - giardia or 'beaver fever' is easy to get in southern Chile... if you drink the wrong water.

One of my crew contracted it after drinking a glass of water while visiting another yacht.... I told her she should have stuck to rum....
Called 'beaver fever' ... you boys down the back of the room... stop that tittering!!!.... because beavers introduced to TdF over one hundred years ago for their fur are the main carriers.
Prevention is simple... either just fill your tanks with treated town water... even Puerto Williams treats their water... or take on water where you know it is coming directly off the ice.... preferably north of Estrecho de Magallanes..
Treatment is with a drug which by memory is sold over the counter as Flagyl but it takes a person a long time to come good...

Only health issue I have had over there was eating some escolar ( it didn't call it that on the menu!!) while in Montevideo which led to a nasty midnight attack of keriorrhea..........
Couple of useful facts about Giardia and Flagyl. I got Giardia when I went out to Bahrain to work for Gulfair, the MO told me to eat raw (live) unsweetened yoghurt everyday and that would get rid of it and prevent it. That was 44 years ago and I still eat 160gms of home made live yoghurt everyday for breakfast. Second point about Flagyl. If you are unfortunate enough to end up with a Candida infection of the gut (often caused by taking to many antibiotics) it is the one antibiotic that will help get rid of it. Although doctors won't tell you, if you take Flagyl alongside prescribed broad spectrum antibiotics, it will help stop the overgrowth of yeast (candida) caused by the broad spectrum antibiotics killing of a large number of the good gut bacteria which would normally allow yeast to proliferate. Homemade live yoghurt should be a regular daily part of your diet and has many beneficial qualities. There is an New Zealand product called Easiyo which comes in a box of five packets of dried milk and yoghurt culture, each pack makes a litre of yoghurt. You don't need anything particularly special to make it other than their plastic thermos type flask and one litre container. you just mix the powder in the fcontainer with water and shake vigorously for about a minute, fill the thermos up to the mark with boiling water, put in the container containing the yoghurt mixture, put on the lid and put on one side for about eight hours. I've been using the product for about 15 years now, and they even do a smaller setup now to make smaller batches, which I use on my boat.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:09   #37

Boat: Catalina 470

2011 bad case of Bali belly (what ever that is?) in Kupang Indonesia.

2014 dengue fever Tioman island Malaysia.

This year bad food poising in Fiji, this worried me the most, very intense for a little while.

Friends this year got bad ciguteria in the Tuomotus, I wont eat reef fish.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:13   #38
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martkimwat View Post
Couple of useful facts about Giardia and Flagyl. I got Giardia when I went out to Bahrain to work for Gulfair, the MO told me to eat raw (live) unsweetened yoghurt everyday and that would get rid of it and prevent it. That was 44 years ago and I still eat 160gms of home made live yoghurt everyday for breakfast. Second point about Flagyl. If you are unfortunate enough to end up with a Candida infection of the gut (often caused by taking to many antibiotics) it is the one antibiotic that will help get rid of it. Although doctors won't tell you, if you take Flagyl alongside prescribed broad spectrum antibiotics, it will help stop the overgrowth of yeast (candida) caused by the broad spectrum antibiotics killing of a large number of the good gut bacteria which would normally allow yeast to proliferate. Homemade live yoghurt should be a regular daily part of your diet and has many beneficial qualities. There is an New Zealand product called Easiyo which comes in a box of five packets of dried milk and yoghurt culture, each pack makes a litre of yoghurt. You don't need anything particularly special to make it other than their plastic thermos type flask and one litre container. you just mix the powder in the fcontainer with water and shake vigorously for about a minute, fill the thermos up to the mark with boiling water, put in the container containing the yoghurt mixture, put on the lid and put on one side for about eight hours. I've been using the product for about 15 years now, and they even do a smaller setup now to make smaller batches, which I use on my boat.

I found the perfect cure for Candida - Super Hot Chili Peppers - Trinidad Scorpion or the Carolina reaper will do it. I have had Candida to the state of getting Regular (once a minute or more) heart palpitations along with joint pains and a good curry or chili loaded up with the above Chili's sorted it out - I have used this technique twice (years in between) and both times worked a treat - Its hard work eating the curry and even harder the next day when it comes out but it works within 12 hours.

Afterwards just load up on Yogurt and pro biotics.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:12   #39

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
The Danger Lurking in Manatee Waters...
So my friend and I are walking in 3 feet deep tropical water watching manatees.
He steps on a big sea urchin. This Island has no M.D. but there is a Doctor.
He accepts chickens for payment. He has two assistants who could bench press a car. The one with the rum is the anesthesiologist. The patient sits in a chair with his foot up so the doctor can examine the heel where a bit of black spine sticks out right in the middle of the heel. The anesthesia...four rums...is beginning to mellow the patient and the two assistants joke as they light up a joint the size of a cigar. The doctor informs the patient to inhale the joint deeply and that on the count of three, the very short procedure will take place. On one, the assistants hold the patient firmly. On two, the doctor whacks the heel with a wooden mallet. There never is three. The doctor picks out the itty -bitty spine pieces with tweezers sterilized in rum. Upon discharge, the patient is given a bottle of rum, three big joints and a few good man well wishes from the assistants. Total costs. $ 30 plus fishing line, some wrenches and every candle on the boat. Recovery was perfect and made fond memories for all.
Happy trails to you
Captain Mark and his rum over ice manatees
NOTE to self, don't step on a sea urchin
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:22   #40

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

I got ciguatera once in the Bahamas after eating Conch stew. Fortunately recovered without treatment although several uncomfortable days where the mixed up heat, and cold was unbearable.

Got a bad case of food poisoning after eating near a cruise port. I'm still not sure if I got Norovirus or just plain old Salmonella was very sick, but unable to get to a Doctor for several days after symptoms started. By the time I got to a clinic I was pretty much over it.

I always take HQ when in Malarial areas, and keep several bottles on hand.

And bath in Deet.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:55   #41

Boat: Antares 44i

Ben, Maybe there's a little silver lining to your have suffered with Dengue in Colombia. This Reuters article that says a Duke University scientist studying Dengue in Brazil concludes Dengue may give some degree of immunity to Covid https://reut.rs/3dboOjT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
I have been stricken with Dengue in Cartagena. Spent days near death with a high fever. We have also suffered pink eye, prickly heat, rashes, mild fevers of unknown cause. DM me if you want more details.
While these events are not highlights, they are realities of cruising, and everyone who would cruise should know that these are risks you must take, and also that the risk is worth the reward. Giving people a healthy expectation of what cruising entails is not a bad thing at all.
EllesBelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 03:35   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllesBelles View Post
Ben, Maybe there's a little silver lining to your have suffered with Dengue in Colombia. This Reuters article that says a Duke University scientist studying Dengue in Brazil concludes Dengue may give some degree of immunity to Covid https://reut.rs/3dboOjT
That's a good find. I shall eschew the mask and when they try to mask-shame me, inform them that I had dengue, so it's all right. But I've already reaped some benefits: when the "donate blood or you're a jerk!" people assault me, my medical history gives them pause. Not that I'm against donating blood: I've done it in a sketchy Mexican hospital for a good cause (before I had a juicy medical history), but I find the blood-shaming distasteful.
Old 10-10-2020, 04:17   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllesBelles View Post
Thanks for the heads up!

“How super-spreader cities, highways, hospital bed availability, and dengue fever influenced the COVID-19 epidemic in Brazil” ~ by Miguel A. L. Nicolelis, et al
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...749v1.full.pdf

Preprint, ahead of peer review.

Some Key Findings:
Super spreader areas included the city of Săo Paulo where there were 80 percent of all cases in the country
16 cities accounted for 98 to 99 percent of all cases in the first 3 months of the pandemic.
26 major highways were responsible for 30 percent of the spread of COVID-19 cases
Cases rose in the countryside. However, due to lack of ICU (Intensive care unit) beds in the countryside, the severely ill cases had to be moved to cities where they succumbed to the infection. This led to a skewing of mortality rates in the cities, wrote the researchers. They called this the “boomerang effect.”
There were 3.5 million cases of dengue fever between January 2019 and July 2020. Those regions where people had high antibody (IgM) levels for dengue fever had a low incidence of COVID-19 cases, and there was also a lower infection growth rate and mortality.
The negative relation between COVID-19 was not seen with IgM data for the Chikungunya virus
The team writes, “While dengue cases were more numerous in the NE, compared to the NO region, this region was dominated by cities with high COVID-19 and low dengue incidences...A larger number of cities with a high incidence of dengue, and very low COVID-19 incidence, occurred in the SE and SO regions.” There was a significantly low incidence of cases in Paraná, Santa Catarina, Rio Grande do Sul, Mato Grosso do Sul after the initial spike in March 2020.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 04:18   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
That's a good find. I shall eschew the mask and when they try to mask-shame me, inform them that I had dengue, so it's all right...
You're kidding, right?
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3251105

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 04:35   #45

Boat: Last boat: 2008 Dix 43 CC, steel, 43 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Andreas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Geez...yes, let's scare cruisers some more!
Between the "Common Objects Aboard that Can Be Used to Defend Yourself" and the "How to De-Mast" and "How Can We Defend Ourselves from Pirates" and today's "The Sinking of the Morning Dew", yes, let's throw in a thread about horrible diseases as well!

No, I never did get any diseases during my months of cruising across the South Pacific. I had my immunizations before departing and then talked to the locals and did what they did to avoid contacting mosquito-bourne diseases and cigatuera...

LittleWing77
I could not have put it in better words!

Tags
cruising