Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2017, 12:33   #31

Re: How not to "save a buck"

There are worse ways to save money. I knew a guy who decided to stop wasting money on air cleaners for his farm ute. "They're a waste of money, they keep clogging up" he said.

He saved money. For a while.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:33   #32
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How not to "save a buck"

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I have a different take on buying equipment. I look for the top 2 that are excellent and then go hunting for the best price on them.. Sometimes you will find them in yard sales or on discount. I have a shed full of proper equipment on average of 30% cheaper than new....
And in a couple of weeks he'll have to move to a 3 bed home.. the spare rooms nearly full..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 13:32   #33

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I need to stop buying, I have almost everything I need except a watermaker and I have weeks worth of work installing what I have. However it seems I keep buying because of the knowledge the big paycheck ends soon.
Man, im so with you on this. My big pay checks stopped 3 mths back and ive been spending like it doubled, the math is simple" money in money out".

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 14:09   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
"You never regret buying the best".
Right up to the point where's you dropped you $25 screw driver overboard...

I have good tools that I will spend real money on, like my hand planers, chisels, table saw, router, etc. those never leave the shop. Then I have my tool box for the boat that all comes from harbor freight or Big Lots. They are cheap, nearly disposable, and whenever I drop them in the drink I don't have to stress out about them.

My general rule is if I just need it for one project and I can't imagine what else I would need it for then I buy as cheap as I can and suffer with it sucking. But if it's going to be in my hands a lot then I want a good one.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 15:57   #35

Boat: wanting a cat

I mentioned this in an earlier thread some months ago and I think it's worth repeating.

You can find a boatload of quality tools for next to nothing in pawn shops!

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 16:50   #36

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I need to stop buying, I have almost everything I need except a watermaker and I have weeks worth of work installing what I have. However it seems I keep buying because of the knowledge the big paycheck ends soon.
Wow, and i thought i was the only one. If i buy enough stuff now, pack it on the boat, i should have enough to keep me busy for the next X amount of years. I think that's the exact thing we're trying to escape. I think The Far Reach may have a better grasp......minimalism. The less things you have, the less things you have to fix, the more time you have to sail and explore.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 17:31   #37

Boat: Mirage 35

Have to look at the source and think about the level of sophistication required to do it right.

When I was (much) younger, the expression "made in Japan" meant "piece of crap". That's where they were in their industrial development, but they have come a long way since then.

I wasn't going to mention the country by name, but someone else already has: "made in China" has currently taken over that role. It's easy to copy the look and feel of a product, but if you have no idea how it's really used the end result may not be satisfactory.

They're improving fast and will get past this stage - already have for many products - and someone else will take over the cheap manufacturing of cheap stuff. In the meantime pay attention to design and make sure you buy quality.
Old 12-02-2017, 18:13   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by foufou View Post
What a timely thread. My antique Singer zigzag machine is frustrating as it breaks thread halfway through my main sail cover. And I cannot find a manual for the 107W35. So while contemplating solutions it crossed my mind to get a Sailrite LZ1. And searching I discovered the look alike with same model designation! This is a great warning. Thank you
You can find the manual at this site and download the pdf version.

Singer Sewing Machine 107W35 User Guide | ManualsOnline.com
Old 12-02-2017, 20:38   #39

Boat: islandpacket

I don't know how many good deals I bought that didnt fit. Now, if I dont know exactly what size I need I wont buy.
Old 12-02-2017, 21:13   #40
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post

They're improving fast and will get past this stage - already have for many products - and someone else will take over the cheap manufacturing of cheap stuff. In the meantime pay attention to design and make sure you buy quality.
China's space program seems to be going gangbusters...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 06:48   #41

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by foufou View Post
What a timely thread. My antique Singer zigzag machine is frustrating as it breaks thread halfway through my main sail cover. .....................
I have a very old Singer (201) that I bought on eBay for making canvas repairs and small accessories. It worked mostly but I had trouble with jamming and thread breaking. I finally gave up and took it to a sewing machine repair shop. For $70, I got it serviced and adjusted. It sews like a charm now. I should have taken it there the day I got it.
Old 13-02-2017, 07:17   #42

Boat: Camano Troll

This thread is a bit amusing because so often, people are posting on this forum how they are saving money by using substitutes for the correct marine appliances or materials to save money. They balk at the suggestion to "do it right the first time".

Personally, I am in the "do it right" camp. You probably don't need the best tools to maintain a boat but you do need quality tools.
Old 13-02-2017, 07:33   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
China's space program seems to be going gangbusters...

That has a tendency to spin off tremendous amounts of knowledge, we owe cell phones and Medical imaging and lord knows how much else to out space program, to bad we gave up
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 07:47   #44

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

Sunglasses....those seem to my Achilles heel at wasting money. Used to buy a stylish expensive pair of sunglasses with good lenses....break them or lose them usually within a week. Buy a cheap pair of sunglasses and end up replacing them after 6-months of abuse (usually due to scratched lenses) and then buying another couple pairs of cheapos. I know, good lenses are important but my beer budget can't support champagne sunglasses

Tools? My father instilled in me early on that a person's quality of work is directly related to the quality of his tools. Learned that this was true early on and then the Navy spoiled me with $500 ball peen hammers (still have one that's well over 30-years old and still going strong), good electrical/electronic test equipment and hand tools. I normally buy tools somewhere just short of the high end stuff, but do make sure that the quality of the tool(s) I purchase are up to a few years of good service. Only buy cheap when in a bind on the job and won't shed any tears if doesn't last beyond the current task.

As for replacing marine materials with non-marine materials? Well that is where experience comes in and learning, sometimes the hard way, what you can substitute and what you can't. I too, am in the "Do it right the first time" camp...That's how I earn my living, working on boat and yacht technical systems. If an owner insists on using substandard materials for an upgrade or repair, I provide a 1-year guaranteed on installation and quality....and no guarantee for substandard materials used (Complain to the Chinese manufacturer, not me....I'll just tell ya: "I told ya so"). And then negotiate another contract to replace the substandard/defective/inoperative item or materials and probably add an extra 10% on top just for spite!
Old 13-02-2017, 08:25   #45
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
This thread is a bit amusing because so often, people are posting on this forum how they are saving money by using substitutes for the correct marine appliances or materials to save money. They balk at the suggestion to "do it right the first time".

Personally, I am in the "do it right" camp. You probably don't need the best tools to maintain a boat but you do need quality tools.
I find it amusing that so many who've posted on this thread are the same ones who regularly post opinions stating that the cheaper stuff is just as good as the the expensive stuff concerning boat brands, cars, product brands... just about everything. Then some cheap item they purchased turns out to be (surprise! surprise!) a piece of crap.

I'm not referring to the OP, kudos for letting everyone know about the crappy sewing machine.

My wife and I always try to buy right the first time, OEM products etc., but some of the Chinese crap is improving in quality and finding it's way into our home.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote