Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2017, 18:04   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
How not to "save a buck"

There it is, that shiny new gadget that you actually need. The only problem is the price tag takes your breath away. The cost of that thing is x months you could cruise if you didn't buy it. So you start looking for "the moderately priced" thing. You get sucked into reading reviews on line of "the shiny new thing alternative" and each positive comment puts a glow of hope into your heart.

It just maybe possible, you think, to meet my needs without bleeding money. So, despite your desire, you bite the bullet, ignore warning bells in your head, and buy "look alike thing".

"Look a like thing" is not as shiny. It'seems a little rough at the edges. But that's OK because it going to do what you need it to do for less money. (Won't it?)

And it does! Sort of. "Look a like thing" works on the most basic level. Over time, however, you realize there are serious limitation to "Look a like thing" , it can't do some things without serious tweaking. You spend your time jury rigging fixes to make up for the short fall of "Look a like thing". You begin to dread doing the work you need to do because "Look a like thing" sucks.

Moral of the story is that "saving money" can come at a price far more precious than the dollars spent.

In my case I bought a Sailrite look a like walking foot, zig zag machine. Really it's a fine machine if you intend to use it exactly as it comes. But I needed a few accessories to do what I wanted. On line reviews assured me that Sail rite accessories would fit. So it seemed like a simple decision.

But the reality is that Sail rite accessories don't really fit because the machining on the look a like machine is sloppy so the accessories don't fit well. Most, like the zipper foot, is unusable.

I guess it's true you do get what you pay for. Remember that what you are actually paying may make a difference. Service and quality control might be worth paying for.

When will I learn the lesson?

Buy the way, if anyone needs a perfectly serviceable walking foot zig zag machine, and don't need to add different feet, I have one available.
Old 11-02-2017, 18:14   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: How not to "save a buck"

Ain't that the truth, I have a friend who has made an art form of "trying to save a buck". He recognises his pattern of behaviour but always thinks "this time will be different"...

It's like an addiction

Hope you find a recovery program - at least for your families sake

Thanks for the reminder on buying quality or don't buy at all
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 18:15   #3

Boat: Catalina 470

The poor man pays twice, I seem to forget this regularly!

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 18:37   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

Good lesson in frugality. The most frugal choice is often not the cheapest … at least not up front. The trick is to discern real value vs false value. Brand-name products all-too-often come with undeserved premium price tags. But in some cases, it is definitely worth spending the extra cash up front.

In the case of a Sailrite, I’ve held off buying the 1/2 priced lookalikes for just this reason, so I really appreciate you sharing your hard lesson SD. I have almost zero skills and very limited experience sewing anything, but I was a part owner in a Sailrite for a few years, and got to use it for a few projects. From that experience I learned the pleasure of working with a sewing machine that just works.

I’ll be holding out and saving my pennies for a Sailrite.
Old 11-02-2017, 18:46   #5

Boat: Westsail 28

Hear you loud and clear Sea Dreaming . Of course I never get caught up in that , ehem... Last year I helped my buddy "pig boy crab shaw" do his bottom paint and fix some blisters , I tell him here is the stuff we need to use , he says OK . The next day we start pig boy won't look me in the eye , what ever . I start grinding blisters , pb starts filling we step back to look at the work and I said "pig boy what did you use to fill those blisters" He would not answer and his filler never dried . Next day we paint , he didn't buy the paint I suggested or the thinner . We roll it on , looks like 40 grit and won't dry . I think it was his home brew thinner. But he saved some money .
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 19:01   #6

Boat: J/42

...you seem to be describing my whole boat. Spooky...
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:32   #7

Boat: 1984 Merit 25

I just had that same experience with a solar vent fan. I was Blessed with the idea of boring a hole in the lid of a 5 gallon bucket, placing the fan in the hole, and setting it in the sun. The fan did not operate as claimed. Thank GOD I didn't bore that hole in my deck.

The return for refund of this item has been a real hassle, and I will order a top quality alternate. Will someone please offer their recommendation for a top quality manufacturer/brand?

Thanks for any input.

Aarrrgh!
Aaarrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:34   #8

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

What a timely thread. My antique Singer zigzag machine is frustrating as it breaks thread halfway through my main sail cover. And I cannot find a manual for the 107W35. So while contemplating solutions it crossed my mind to get a Sailrite LZ1. And searching I discovered the look alike with same model designation! This is a great warning. Thank you
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:36   #9

Words of wisdom for sure. I cant imagine how much money I've wasted buying a "little less than what I really wanted" , that and auctions, swap meets or used equipment stores! I used to buy stuff thinking "that will work perfect for this purpose when I get the boat near finished"... ha ha ... right... sure...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:44   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I need to stop buying, I have almost everything I need except a watermaker and I have weeks worth of work installing what I have. However it seems I keep buying because of the knowledge the big paycheck ends soon.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:51   #11

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Oh I am so glad I am not alone in my foibles! Sorry, I only mean that it's good to be in human company.

I am a real tight wad. I didn't realize just how stingy I have been until this last experience. Looking back on my purchases I often go for the off brand anything. This usually works out for cream cheese and donuts. But often not well for other things.

Fou Fou - I've come to conclusion that Sail rite (darn spell check adds the space) deserves their good reputation for service. Even though the problem with your machine is probably a simple fix, being able to make a call for help is really worth the extra money in the long run. Being able to get timely information and knowledge is important and will aid in fixing your own stuff eh?
Old 12-02-2017, 09:02   #12

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

SD I'm right there with you. I am the tightwad, too. And I have been bit in the a$$ more than once by my tightwadedness. I have learned your lessons the hard way.

But I remind myself also that a lot of the reason we are out here doing this crazy stuff is also my tightwad tendencies. We had the small house with the little mortgage on land, we had the one leather sofa that we kept for 10 years. We had an RV instead of a beachfront rental house.

All leading to a life I kept dreaming about. And now, you and I, we're doing it.

Next meeting of TA (Tightwad's Anonymous) is a 8pm on Sunday in a church basement. (Oh, and bring your own coffee, they're too cheap to supply it. )

The only bad thing about mistakes is not learning from them.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:04   #13

I grew up with a father who ALWAYS bought the cheapest thing he could find that matched the description of what he wanted. While I suffer slightly from the same gene, the lessons learned growing up taught me an important lesson. There is a huge difference between low price and low cost. And most typically, low price guarantees it will not be low cost.
rms95835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:12   #14

I'm happier than a pig in a poo pile with my $79.00 Singer (brand new) sewing machine. When I come across something to tough then I switch to one of my hand stitchers. Not quite as pretty but you get better with practice. The main thing is the job gets done and thats what's important to me.You really need to know where quality counts. I used to think how could a hammer be fudged even ir it's made in China. Well I learned a new rule don't buy anything from china that might need some precision. As hard as I tried I couldn't hammer a nail in with that hammer. I examine everything I plan to purchase with scrutiny. Most of the time I beat the odds. Nothing wrong with being frugal, you just got to be smart about it. I know I'll get burned now and then but its like everything ,Practice makes perfect.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:18   #15

Boat: ODay 322

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the low price is forgotten
naitaka322 is offline   Reply With Quote