Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 14:39   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
Hurricane Ike Aftermath Pics

Of the aftermath of Ike and the return to the water of my boat "Turtle".

Without the help of my friends and dockmates the moving of Turtle would never have happened. After Ike all the people of our marina had to stand 24/7 watch over our boats so as not to lose our stuff to looters. 23 days and nights we stood watch before the city of Baytown Tx got us a fence and a guard. Although we had arms available no one, not even the most aggressive lookyloos, and a few after dark trespassers was threatened. The local police were very helpful and quick to respond whenever we called. They thanked us for the effort we put out to protect our own property so they could deal with the mountain of other duties they had after the storm. Very little if anything went missing.

The marina failed, argueably, because the city and it's leaseholder did nothing to help prevent it. The pilings were touted as high enough to withstand a storm surge, they obviously were not and nothing was done to help insure they would not float off their pilings. No cables, chains or anchors or any sort of preventative was even attempted. Bayland Park Marina was the only floating dock marina in the entire Galveston Bay area to fail. The entire hurricane preparedness plan of the City of Baytown and Bayland Park Marina management was to lock the office doors before they left.

The insurance company for the city paid the city for the damage to the marina and so did FEMA but they charged the boat owners an outrageous amount to put the boats back in the water. We were not allowed to participate in the hiring or negotiations for the safe restoration of our boats to the water. The cost to the boat owners $253 per foot for what amounted to a simple lift, swing and refloat operation.

I will however commend the guys(Land and Sea, Anthony Crane) who actually did the work of moving some 85 boats. They were skilled and very proffesional in both the task of moving the boats without doing further damage and with dealing with a group of sometimes less than friendly/happy boat owners.

Thankfully most of the boats were only minimally damaged as they were still all tied in their slips when they came ashore and grounded.

Had I not had the friends I do I would have lost my boat. It's 30yrs old and most insurance companies either won't cover it at all or the cost is to much for a working stiff to afford. I could not have afforded the cost to move my boat. We were all required to have liability insurance in case our boats damaged the marina however.

Anyway enough ranting about a problem past. I posted a few pictures in my gallery of what a few good friends can do for a friend when they put their minds and muscles to it. I will ALWAYS be on call for them in the future...........m
Old 07-06-2009, 16:09   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thank you for sharing your pics, cantxsailor. It's apparent that you love your vessel and that you have good friends. That's a powerful combination.

Good luck to you in Turtle's restoration - I hope you will continue to provide images of the work as it progresses. I can't wait to see Turtle looking shipshape again.

TaoJones

PS: The image of the Hartman Bridge in the fog is beautiful.
Old 07-06-2009, 20:59   #3

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
cantxsailor,
I owned a 1984 PS25 named Patience for 3 yrs and lived on her over at Marina de Sol. She was such a sweet sail and a perfect singlehander. Mine had a little one banger yanmar (7hp) that would put a nice bone in her teeth .
I am so sorry about Turtles damage. Those pics made my heart sink but I also know what a strong boat she is too. So much suffering after IKE, so much loss. You find out who your friends are and they are always more than you realize, you also see a strength in people you never saw before. Where are you now? Is Turtle in the water?
Thanks for sharing,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:39   #4

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
Turtle is at my gunsmith shop....

Near downtown Houston visible to anyone travelling the 610 northloop at the Irvington St exit. She is almost completely repaired but as my personal economy is in just about as bad a shape as the US economy she will probably have to sit out this year. I will get her back in the water soon enough.

I have done all the fiberglass repairs both structural and cosmetic and rebuilt the very tired Yanmar YSM8R. I built a new water tank and have done a bunch of small things I've been putting off forever. The teak is in need of varnish but that will be done just before she goes back in the water mostly because I hate sanding and varnishing above all other boat chores.

Anyone in need of firearms repair or restoration can come for a visit too. I also do boat work. 713 861 3234.

Thank for the interest in the pictures. The Hartman pic was done by a friend, Joan VanRavensway from the boat Sea Nymph. She must be a really good photographer because she can make even me look good.

As we have said without friends where would we be. The "family" of Bayland Park is scattered around the Galveston Bay area but we keep in touch. Several are members here.

There are plans for a gathering/raftup near the old marina which the city has not yet seen fit to even start repairing. Hopefully this gathering of our boats will be a bit less dramatic than the last one. September 13th is a Saturday this year so that will work for most peoples schedules I think.

I'm back to the grind now............m