Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 16:16   #76

Re: I Think I Saw MH370

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I thought it was +7 Indonesian time.
Oops, my mistake. In which case the period we want extends just before the logs SS has supplied, we want around 0130 to 0200 Indonesian time.

More problematically, this could put the likely CPA time before they tacked, contrary to my workings on page 3. That would then throw everything out. It's hard to construct a scenario for the aircraft being in their position after 0210 Indonesian time if that is when they tacked. SS?
europaflyer is offline   Reply
Old 01-06-2014, 17:26   #77

"Time" seems to be where the GPS is at the time of downloading:
An immediate response to the Inmarsat information now released | Duncan Steel
Gclark8 is offline   Reply
Old 01-06-2014, 18:52   #78
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kalik 40

The GPS time updates automatically. At no stage did we move beyond Thailand time. I don't know when it switched to Thailand time.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply
Old 01-06-2014, 19:00   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gclark8 View Post
"Time" seems to be where the GPS is at the time of downloading:
Apologies, it should be comment 6323, not the one I posted above.

With over 600 replies on that page it's getting difficult to keep track of information.
Gclark8 is offline   Reply
Old 01-06-2014, 19:53   #80

please contact JACC ,we really need someone like you!
connie121 is offline   Reply
Old 01-06-2014, 23:29   #81
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentlulu View Post
Hi,SS
I am one of the victims of MH370 families. I saw your post on Cruisers Forum. I am very excited. I am hope to get more information from you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by connie121 View Post
please contact JACC ,we really need someone like you!
I logged my believed sighting with the JACC via email, as suggested early in the thread, and this morning received a response saying the email has been forwarded to the relevant area for action. I then received a more personal email from ATSB reassuring me that the tracking data has been forwarded to the Search Strategy Group, and to rest assured the investigators are reviewing it.

On a more personal note, I would like to apologise for any hurt this may be causing. I have no idea whether my sighting was related, simply because I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Either way, it wasn't for me to decide I was crazy and it didn't fit in with the current theories. Please remember, I heard it was heading over Vietnam after I arrived ashore on the 10th, then I stopped following the news again.

Any communication from me will be here on this thread only, in the open. I would like to request that no requests for personal contact are made. I am happy to be as thorough as I can here, where Changing Whispers can't come into play. Yesterday I read on one large UK paper's comments site that I am recently divorced, when in fact I am focusing on healing myself and my marriage!

If you have more questions just ask here, on this thread. If I don't know, I will say I don't know. If I have an answer, I will answer as thoroughly as I can.
Old 02-06-2014, 00:45   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post

If you have more questions just ask here, on this thread. If I don't know, I will say I don't know. If I have an answer, I will answer as thoroughly as I can.
Thanks for reply. Just one question. Do you remember which direction did the flight went? North, south, OR West?
talentlulu is offline   Reply
Old 02-06-2014, 01:19   #83

I've been looking through my workings again, and I'll post them below so people can double check.

Previously, I had assumed the boat time was UTC+8. If it is indeed UTC+7 (and it is very important that we determine this) then this alters all the calculations dramatically. The boat tacks from starboard at around 340° to port at 70° at some point between 0210 and 0220 local, which would be 1910-1920 UTC. For the report to make sense - the boat heading roughly east while the aircraft passes astern from the port side to the starboard side ie. north to south - the sighting has to take place after the tack is complete. The last radar contact with the aircraft was at 1822 UTC NE of Banda Aceh. It is not possible for the aircraft to remain in the area for a further hour and still arrive at the first satellite contact point 375nm SSW of Banda Aceh by 1941. Therefore, if the aircraft did pass close to them, it must have happened while they were still on starboard tack heading north, and it is only really plausible that it passed their stern from the starboard side to the port side, or from left to right from the perspective of a crewmember facing aft. This is not the story as SS has told it.

Whether the aircraft heading from north to south or port to starboard was inferred by SS after looking at the GPS logs rather than from memory I don't know. If you can barely remember which day it was on I find it tricky to imagine you would remember the directions, and therefore it is possible the sighting was in fact heading east to west before you tacked. If not, and you are certain it was heading from north to south while you were heading eastwards, then unfortunately I can't construct a scenario whereby the object you saw was MH370.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MH370-Flight-Path-2.jpg
Views:	964
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	82216  
europaflyer is offline   Reply
Old 02-06-2014, 02:46   #84
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by europaflyer View Post

Whether the aircraft heading from north to south or port to starboard was inferred by SS after looking at the GPS logs rather than from memory I don't know. If you can barely remember which day it was on I find it tricky to imagine you would remember the directions, and therefore it is possible the sighting was in fact heading east to west before you tacked. ..........
While I have no idea what was going on with SS at this time I can certainly say that directions are extremely important to the cruising sailor while what day it is often completely irrelevant to one life while on passage.

One is always mentally aware of wind direction, sea / swell direction, boat heading, leeway, track and so on. Unless one is practising celestial navigation, the day and date becomes meaningless until one approaches one's destination.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply
Old 02-06-2014, 03:08   #85
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I can't remember what tack we were on, and therefore which direction we were travelling in at the time. I know I saw this 'glowing orange plane' approach from 7 o'clock relative to the boat's heading, passed behind our stern, and I saw it again at about 5 o'clock from the boat's heading.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:31   #86

Trust your instincts Saucy. I was once on a Washington D.C. Metro train (subway) when I saw a guy who looked like New York State Governor Elliot Spitzer. He was in the last car in the last seat in the train that faced the rear of the car. I thought to take a picture. Then I questioned myself if that was actually him. I mean what would the Governor of New York be doing riding a Metro train alone without security? He got off the Farragut North stop which happens to be the stop closest to the Mayflower Hotel where he use to met the prostitutes he hired for sex before the scandal brought him down a few months later. I wish I would have taken that picture now.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:56   #87
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I Think I Saw MH370

Quote:
I can't remember what tack we were on...

I take that back. I wondered where the higher planes were going to up north... Bengal? I also wondered where the lower plane was going, especially being so low, since there was nothing to the south of us it. So we were on a port tack heading east.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:20   #88

Quote:
Yesterday I read on one large UK paper's comments site that I am recently divorced, when in fact I am focusing on healing myself and my marriage!
Hi Kate,
Yesterday I discovered your story at that UK newspaper site.
It is good that you decided to report it.. it might be nothing, but it could also be a valid lead.. experts have been looking into it via ATSB & many here have been helping as well.. it is cool to see how this forum works.
Now the other reason why I'm here. I wanted to let you know that I asked moderators at that UK newspaper to delete that entry. It was based on what you described in your initial posts (..By this time my rucksack was packed, and the divorce planned..) but apparently badly misinterpreted. Sorry about that.. yes it was me I hope it won't take too long for that comment to be deleted... I feel like an idiot!
Good luck with everything you've been up to
Helena
annalenacrying is offline   Reply
Old 02-06-2014, 04:25   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Hats off to you for the confession. Most would have kept quiet.

Coops.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:42   #90

thanks, Coops btw, I was defending Kate at that article discussion.. explaining to a guy why Kate didn't grab a camera.. talking like a female about mental settings.. (kinda how I'd feel).. I never intended to hurt anyone.. sorry Kate
annalenacrying is offline   Reply
Closed Thread