Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2021, 06:41   #1

Boat: Beneteau 473. 47ft
Angry In hot water

Has anyone had this happen?
Sailing in lumpy seas in my Bene 473 I went down to the forward head to find the floor full of hot water! About 4 inches deep and starting to splash over the door sill into the cabin.
To begin with I couldn’t work out what was going on as the head was full of steam,
Then I quickly noticed the shower head was on full throttle, it turned out the large towel hanging on its hook was swinging about and had turned on the shower!! Just as well I went down when I did as the tanks were all full and potentially 200 litres of water before it would stop pumping. Maybe just as well I only open one tank at a time as 600 litres would have been horrendous.
Anyway the shower drain took around 15 min to clear all the water, all cleaned up with no damage.
Delu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2021, 06:49   #2

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Re: In hot water

I've never had that happen, no. Thank goodness.

My wife and I were taught to turn off the house water pump when on passage for just that reason. Well, not specifically the shower, but any leak in the fresh water system as you might not hear the pump running when everyone is in the cockpit. We used to do that. Maybe we should make that SOP again.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water