Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2022, 06:56   #151

Re: Jerry cans are unusable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHTinkler View Post
12 volt fuel pump and small fuel filter (type with glass bowl to monitor flow) mounted on a board. Couple of rubber fuel hoses with a copper pipe dip tube on intake side to reach down into jerry jug controllably. Other hose deep into fuel filler to keep that end under control. Plug in and watch the fuel transfer! Easy and CLEAN.

A portable electric pump offers the advantage of a reliable controlled flow, and speed. I have a 12 volt pump of the trade name "Pony Pump". Manufacturer is "Proven Pumps". These are available at Princess Auto. Can also be had of 120 volt version. It has garden hose fittings. It is a bother to do the set up and draining of pump and hoses though. The addition of a fuel filter is good, but if you keep your jugs clean, not essential. But as said, a clear filter hosing gives flow indication. Aboard a small boat, a pump is another piece of gear for which to find stowage. The stock rubber impeller is not fuel rated, but oil resistant impellers are available.The discharge is under quite a bit of pressure, so even a small leak past the garden hose fitting seal ring can be a nuisance or a disaster. The pump ports must be capped for stowage.

A word on hoses: For short runs, a reasonably sturdy rubber hose that is petroleum rated will work for suction without collapsing, so no need for reinforced hose. Clear vinyl hose has a limited life for use with fuel, as it looses flexibility over time, unless flushed with detergent and water after each use, a big bother, and then there is the disposal problem of oily water. The clear hose may last a year or two before stiffening too much to be usable. Of course hoses that are not flushed must be well plugged for stowage.

If a siphon can be made to work, it is probably the simplest way to go. A pump with good hoses and fittings will cost over $100.
Dieseldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 13:00   #152

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldude View Post
...It is a bother to do the set up and draining of pump and hoses though...
I keep coming back to that thought. I have hoses. I have one of those siphon things with a manual squeeze starter at the top. I have 12V pumps. There's lots of ways I could rig up something to avoid pouring.

So why don't I?

Mostly because I don't want to handle and store diesel-soaked hoses or pumps. No matter where I put them, they're going to smell and leak. Even if I put them in a closed bucket with a lid, I'll be getting diesel all over my hands, and probably the deck, when I take them out to use, and when I put them away. It's just more work than popping the covers off a (real) pouring spout and a vent.

This thread has motivated me to try the siphon thing next time. It's a nice product. But I'm not optimistic that it won't get put away and never used again, just as it did when I first bought it.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 15:41   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I keep coming back to that thought. I have hoses. I have one of those siphon things with a manual squeeze starter at the top. I have 12V pumps. There's lots of ways I could rig up something to avoid pouring.

So why don't I?

Mostly because I don't want to handle and store diesel-soaked hoses or pumps. No matter where I put them, they're going to smell and leak. Even if I put them in a closed bucket with a lid, I'll be getting diesel all over my hands, and probably the deck, when I take them out to use, and when I put them away. It's just more work than popping the covers off a (real) pouring spout and a vent.

This thread has motivated me to try the siphon thing next time. It's a nice product. But I'm not optimistic that it won't get put away and never used again, just as it did when I first bought it.

Another thought on transferring fuel: It may seem like an overkill solution to a seemingly small problem. But if room can be found, an electric fuel transfer pump could be permanently installed with plumbing. This would simplify set up and break down issues. The only thing to deal with would be the suction hose. Pump discharge would be permanently plumbed to the fuel tank inlet. This would require a bunker valve on the regular filler pipe to eliminate accidental overboard discharge danger. A small 12 volt gear pump would be good. Rubber impeller type pumps can have limited life of the impeller for fuel, even if the fuel rated impeller is fitted.

Following are some examples of cheap fuel pumps. The first one has NPT ports. Ports for the other pumps are not specified. I'm not sure if fuel rated garden hose fitting washers can be found to reliably use a pump with garden hose fittings. Garden hose fittings can self loosen too. Discharge plumbing for any fuel transfer pump must be very rugged to avoid leakage disaster. Note that when considering a pump, it needs to be determined if it will self prime for the expected length and lift height of suction hose. These are cheaper home shop type pumps, but should be last a long time for occasional use.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/12v-...t/PA0008469405

https://www.princessauto.com/en/12v-...t/PA0008606261

https://www.princessauto.com/en/12v-...t/PA0008606253

https://www.princessauto.com/en/12v-...t/PA0008606279
Dieseldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 07:24   #154

I learnt a technique for siphoning out of a plastic Jerry can and straight into the tank when I was a fledgling flotilla skipper in the ‘90s.

If, like the OP you (correctly) regularly cycle your emergency diesel, it’s worth equipping yourself with a specific pipe, the right bore and length of flexible hose. Clear plastic is best. I recon around 1 to 1 1/2 inch interior diameter pipe.

Lead one end into the can, down the bottom; the other end several inches into the deck filler.

Then get a rag, wrap it around the pipe where it emerges from the Jerry can so that it more or less forms a seal.

With the can stabilised by eg placing it against a stanchion, put your knee into the middle of the can to squeeze fuel up into the pipe.

Keep squeezing (clear pipe helps) until you see the fuel squeezed right around the pipe and is disappearing into the filler.

Finally, remove the rag to allow air into the can as the diesel flows out.

NB, although I said insert the pipe to the bottom of the tank. In fact, if it starts only about halfway down to start with, then it might be a bit easier to get the siphon started.

No mess, no swallowed diesel. Simple!!
guitarrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 14:08   #155

Boat: Oceanis 38 11.5m
Thumbs up Jerry cans are USABLE

A proper funnel makes all jerry cans usable.

In all fairness, however, it must be said.....eleven pages of Jerry cans are unusable is impressive.
Old 07-03-2022, 15:46   #156

Boat: Hunter 38
Re: Jerry cans are USABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf_km55 View Post

In all fairness, however, it must be said.....eleven pages of Jerry cans are unusable is impressive.
Not on my boat! I have a Hunter 38 and while the diesel deck fill is reasonable when standing on the dock with a pump handle it requires all sorts of contortions to fill with a can on the hook/mooring.

I turned the air blue with my cursing several times and in the last 3 months of cruising have spilt more diesel than I've spilt any sort of fuel ever. And for years I filled my plane with auto gas.

I use the shaker siphon and an electric xfer pump and both have their disadvantages.

The Spectre water cans are probably the best option, but they have a vent that is like a child-proof pill bottle cap and WHICH DOES NOT SEAL!!!

I use a Viton O ring in the cap to properly seal. Can't remember the size, was from my "save a dive" kit but the marine aisle at home depot should stock them.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 20:48   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Big fan of the jiggler hoses! Ive got one aboard for water and one for fuel.

Also a fan of jiggler hoses.
kram45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2022, 11:01   #158

Boat: 1984 Nor'Sea27

HOW did this grow to 11 pages?

Well, i am going to post this YouTube video that i just stummbled upon. 30 min long. All about the history of the NATO style can. Maybe not worth most people's time, but i liked it. Maybe someone beat me to it. Hope not, i will read the new 9 pages soon.
cadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2022, 14:24   #159

Boat: Lagoon 380
Jerry cans are unusable

Do the nato cans come in blu, yel, and red all in plastic?
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2022, 14:33   #160
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateral View Post
Shaker syphon. Easy as!
https://www.nctractorspares.co.uk/ji...se-32279-p.asp

keep you mouth away from fuel!
By far, the best trouble free solution.
Old 13-03-2022, 15:27   #161

Boat: 1984 Nor'Sea27

Quote:
Originally Posted by team karst View Post
Do the nato cans come in blu, yel, and red all in plastic?

Metal ones are available in many colors including Yellow, Red and Blue. Also polished stainless to match your brightwork.
The ones from china are not great (maybe some are, but not a one i found. I would not trust them on a boat).

Sceptor is the brand in North America that i have found. They used to have Yellow and Red (maybe bright green, and likely kerosene blue) but it was phased out. OR it was a brand before Sceptor became the lowest bidder. Now i only find olive drab and desert tan but they sell yellow and red cap retainers (little plastic cap straps). I presume that means the plastic for diesel is the same as petrol. A black... or maybe it is called "safety black" option for solar warming is available for water.
(In this paragraph I refer to the thick plastic military NATO style. there is a domestic style of thin plastic, not stackable, that comes in yellow and red of similar size)

I am eager to hear what brands exist in EU, UK, AUS, NZ, ETC.
cadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 10:10   #162
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 18 ft avon

by the after market caps on amazon, makes it way easier
MC2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 13:53   #163

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Jerry cans are USABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf_km55 View Post

Eleven pages informs us how many cruisers use Jerry cans for fuel and water. In fact I guess many, if not most, do. And of course if we look at the boats which come into a port like ours in Mexico we can confirm that anecdotally. Almost everyone has a row of yellow cans on the side deck.

But this, in my way of thinking, is unfortunate. It means that many, if not most, of us are not confident in our boat's or our own sailing ability. Or maybe it tells us something about our patience when it comes to sailing; we don't have much patience. Either way it is sad to me to think that.

Because if you and your boat can sail, then why do you need a row of jerry cans of fuel? Surely your boat has a bit of fuel in its internal tanks?

Your row of jerry cans means you can't or don't want to sail. So why have a sailboat when you'd rather motor?

I bought two jerry cans (yellow, plastic) in 1997. I know I have filled them up at least three times in 25 years. Twice to transport fuel to the boat when no fuel dock was available. Once I started across an ocean (Indian Ocean) with those two jerry cans in deck, full. I did not need that extra fuel. You probably don't either.

You can become a better sailor by sailing whenever there is wind. Sailing to windward when the wind is forward of the beam included. And if you were doing more sailing then the little things which slow you down would become more important to you; our boats would become better if we paid more attention to how well they sail.

You would also save money and avoid the hassles of dealing with Jerry cans.

And finally, carrying jerry cans on deck is not safe in a heavy seaway. The ocean is patient. It is always waiting to take those cans. Someday it will.

Well, I know this is a wasted effort, nobody is going to change, but I just want to encourage people even if they aren't going to listen. Get rid of your jerry cans and sail more.
Old 02-10-2022, 15:14   #164

https://www.amazon.com/Siphon-Origin...56062450&psc=1

Siphon - The Original Safety Siphon - 6' High Grade Hose, 3/8" Valve

prices vary but magic is the marble in the brass fitting/ fantastic piece of equipment not easily made but hose is replaceable at later date.
If using with fuel long term ideal storage is straight rather than tight coiling as the hose eventually gets stiff from the fuel.
Otherwise works every time with minimum effort and no lifting/pouring. water/antifreeze/gas/diesel
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 15:18   #165

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Fuel jerry cans are useful.

Despite three seperate fuel tanks I think it is helpful to keep a couple of jerry cans that are filled with different and recent diesel.

A technique for running the main engine directly from these jerry cans, should this ever be necessary, is easy to devise. We have generous fuel storage, and use the engine little so the extra capacity is not needed, but the extra redundancy is valuable. The diesel can be used for assisting other boats, priming filters or even running the diesel heater should this be necessary. It can also be used to transport fuel from land to the boat.

Every cruising boat needs a couple of fuel jerry cans.

If it’s any consolation, these jerry cans are kept in a dedicated vented fuel locker, so they are safe, secured and not visible.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote