Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2022, 16:15   #166

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Jerry cans are unusable

Jerry cans have many uses.
Spare fuel. I have one just in case something happens to my main tankage. 5 gallons will get me into port.
Insufficient tankage for all the amenities. Small tanks with cooler, freezer, water maker, AC, hot water, etc. eats up fuel and it is not always easy to get.
Same thing with water; small tanks and/or excessive demand means jerry cans.

All told we have 4 jerry cans.
Emergency diesel
Emergency water
Gas for outboard and Honda 2000
Kerosene for cooking

The only one we fill regularly is gas. 5 gallons of kero + 2 in the tank last a looong time.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 20:44   #167

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'
Re: Jerry cans are USABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Eleven pages informs us how many cruisers use Jerry cans for fuel and water. In fact I guess many, if not most, do. And of course if we look at the boats which come into a port like ours in Mexico we can confirm that anecdotally. Almost everyone has a row of yellow cans on the side deck.

But this, in my way of thinking, is unfortunate. It means that many, if not most, of us are not confident in our boat's or our own sailing ability. Or maybe it tells us something about our patience when it comes to sailing; we don't have much patience. Either way it is sad to me to think that.

Because if you and your boat can sail, then why do you need a row of jerry cans of fuel? Surely your boat has a bit of fuel in its internal tanks?

Your row of jerry cans means you can't or don't want to sail. So why have a sailboat when you'd rather motor?

I bought two jerry cans (yellow, plastic) in 1997. I know I have filled them up at least three times in 25 years. Twice to transport fuel to the boat when no fuel dock was available. Once I started across an ocean (Indian Ocean) with those two jerry cans in deck, full. I did not need that extra fuel. You probably don't either.

You can become a better sailor by sailing whenever there is wind. Sailing to windward when the wind is forward of the beam included. And if you were doing more sailing then the little things which slow you down would become more important to you; our boats would become better if we paid more attention to how well they sail.

You would also save money and avoid the hassles of dealing with Jerry cans.

And finally, carrying jerry cans on deck is not safe in a heavy seaway. The ocean is patient. It is always waiting to take those cans. Someday it will.

Well, I know this is a wasted effort, nobody is going to change, but I just want to encourage people even if they aren't going to listen. Get rid of your jerry cans and sail more.

Wingsail,

I wholeheartedly agree with your post above!
You may be in the minority of owners (please notice that I didn't say USERS, or SAILORS) of those power boats with big sticks that actually know how to use those big white things covered with blue wrappings!
Having been both a sailor and a stink pot owner, when we purchased our latest boat, we realized that the boat we bought would be motored all, or almost all of the time, so we bought a power boat. Many MANY owners of those boats with the big sticks don't even realize what those sticks are for, much how to use them.

Crazy threads like the ones that talk about the woes of moving their stick boats from San Diego to SOC, being "almost impossible" some say because some of the historical fuel stops on the outside of Baja dried up during Covid. You can imagine the response I got when I suggested that the owners might consider, well, SAILING down the Baja Coast! I got hate mail from people who said I just didn't understand what sailing was all about? I guess I don't, because when I used to go out in my sailboat, I actually hoisted the sails, and, well, actually SAILED! I used the motor (on the sail boat that actually HAD a motor) for leaving the marina, and coming back into the marina . . . . the boats had PLENTY of fuel for that. If I'd wanted to motor all the time, well, I would have bought a MOTOR BOAT!

Now back to our regularly scheduled programing . . . .
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 20:54   #168

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'
Re: Jerry cans are USABLE

There are folks who only use their boat for throwing parties in the slip, and never motor or sail...
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 22:30   #169

Boat: Island Packet 40

I've been cruising the same bits of coast for the last twenty years now. There is a cycle to it as I wish to go towards warm places during the winter months and away from them during their cyclone (hurricane) season, which is done by going to cooler places.

One of the things I have discovered (as even nations who rely on windmills for electrical power are learning) is that the wind is not a totally reliable source of power.

Some years, and voyages, I may use hundreds of litres of diesel and others just tens of litres. Sometimes you just have to be some place and sometimes you just have to not be and since many sail boats are built as day, or just local, sailors you sometimes you may not be just day or local sailing you may need extra storage.
Old 03-10-2022, 09:15   #170

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

No problem with sailing vs motoring, I use the cans because I’m cheap. Fuel is more expensive delivered to you anchored or buying at the fuel dock.
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 13:49   #171

Boat: Sister-ship of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua

Jeez, I didn’t realize my old yellow plastic diesel jugs with plain old spouts were illegal!
Old 23-10-2022, 16:27   #172

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalmberg View Post
Jeez, I didn’t realize my old yellow plastic diesel jugs with plain old spouts were illegal!
Gonna be real tough for the US EPA to enforce a jug in Aruba
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 16:39   #173

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Gonna be real tough for the US EPA to enforce a jug in Aruba
Yeah, but what a great assignment it would be...
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 02:39   #174

Boat: Privilege 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalmberg View Post
I use those great yellow jugs. but don't use a spout. I use a jiggle syphon

No mess, no spill, no effort.
Old 24-10-2022, 08:11   #175

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The newest generation of yellow jugs has a filter inside the spout. You can't put the jiggle syphon in unless you destructively remove the filter. Progress!
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 08:23   #176

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
The newest generation of yellow jugs has a filter inside the spout. You can't put the jiggle syphon in unless you destructively remove the filter. Progress!
It depends on the can. Some of the filters are meant to be permanent, others are easily removeable.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2022, 06:11   #177
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
I use those great yellow jugs. but don't use a spout. I use a jiggle syphon

No mess, no spill, no effort.
I tried a jiggle syphon but did not like it.
Instead I use a Battery Operated Liquid Transfer Pump I bought at harbor freight for $12.
There is a on/off switch on the top.

https://www.harborfreight.com/batter...ump-63847.html

Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2022, 07:39   #178
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post

What you are talking about is not a filter, it is a flame mitigation devise. It reduces the chance of flash-back and flame jetting if there is a spark and the contents of the can are flammable (yes, it is a diesel can, but people use them cross-purposes--people on this forum have mentioned doing to avoid CARB spouts).

This is the result of an act of Congress that received broad bipartisan bipartisan support.

The Portable Fuel Container Safety Act of 2020 (PFCSA) requires the Commission, not later than June 27, 2023, to promulgate a final rule to require flame mitigation devices in portable fuel containers that impede the propagation of flame into the container. 15 U.S.C. 2056d(b)(1).

The act technically only applies to gasoline containers, but some manufacturers are doing all of them to CYA. Given the lawsuit exposure, I can see their reasoning.
Old 24-12-2022, 07:43   #179

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

over the years i've tried most things, and settled on the pressure system - which works best for me

for those who don't know this : take 2 hoses...one 1/2" or bigger for flow...and another smaller one. insert both into jerry can...other end of big hose into filler. then blow (NOT suck) on the smaller hose (use a rag or similar to seal). the increased pressure in the jerrycan pushes the liquid up and starts the syphon.

works a treat...no batteries...no nasty taste...no spills

cheers,
Old 24-12-2022, 07:45   #180

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Graham View Post
I tried a jiggle syphon but did not like it.
Instead I use a Battery Operated Liquid Transfer Pump I bought at harbor freight for $12.
[/IMG]
I've done the same.

The jiggle just didn't jiggle.

The pump emptied my tanks quickly and easily.

I haven't, though, tried to use it to empty the Jerry cans. We'll see what works best come spring.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote