Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2007, 19:47   #16

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
The week we moved off the boat and back int a house I had to buy a vacuum cleaner, closest I've ever been to suicidal.
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 20:57   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
When we moved back to the states I had to get a riding lawn mower. I am standing in Sears and a good ol' boy (complete stranger) sidles up and starts discussing with me the relative merits of each mower.

That's when I knew my life was over and I had to get out of that place - It took 6 years but I'm never going back...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 13:37   #18

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
For the last 20 + years I have always been traveling on our Anniversary. We are leaving tomorrow to go cruising with no set agenda So my wife asked me " What are you going to do for our aniversary" knowing I will be there for the fist time. I simoply repplied " I guess I will let you steer on Thursday"

The swelling is down but it left a mark!

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 15:08   #19

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
It's hard to figure out how much to bet on the next throw of the dice, because we don't control the game. You purchased stuff for a machine shop, and then globalization happened. Suddenly a machine shop isn't economically viable. Things have gotten out of control. We have a generation of baby boomers ready to retire, and millions of them are discovering they can't afford to retire.

You only live once, and you're life should be pleasing to you. The problem is, sometimes it's hard to figure out what you want until you are in over your head.
The more stuff you have in your life, the muddier the water gets, and the harder it is to find your way.

Stuff eventually becomes the hurdles that we have to jump in order to reach our dreams. The more stuff we have, the bigger the hurdles that we have to face.

We all need to come to an agreement with all the stuff in our lives. The stuff that serves us, we keep. The rest we toss out.

Life isn't about stuff. It's about running our own race and making our lives into what we want them to be.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 15:16   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity View Post
The week we moved off the boat and back int a house I had to buy a vacuum cleaner, closest I've ever been to suicidal.
I know exactly how you feel. I have been in a house now for four months, and I continue to rebel and resist the idea of buying a vacuum cleaner. I wonder how long I can hold out? What will happen if we don't get one. Am I going to sink in a sea of dust? What if a gale happens and all the dust gets in my eyes? Is it possible to pitchpole in a sea of dust?
Old 03-11-2007, 15:22   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
When we moved back to the states I had to get a riding lawn mower. I am standing in Sears and a good ol' boy (complete stranger) sidles up and starts discussing with me the relative merits of each mower.

That's when I knew my life was over and I had to get out of that place - It took 6 years but I'm never going back...
Ah, yes. One of those Sears moments. Your whole life flashes before you, and you hope you live long enough to make your escape. I can feel your pain.
Old 03-11-2007, 16:12   #22

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Lawn is stupid

A lawn is the dumbest thing anyone can have.

First, you spend money getting the ground ready. Fertilizer, the right dirt, grading etc. Next, lawn seed. If you want nice lawn, it's expensive too!
Then after watering it, waiting for it to grow, you mow it. Expense for gas, the mower, the time wasted mowing when you could have been sailing.
Then to top it all off, you have to spend money to get rid of the clippings!
You can't even eat it!

Lawn is totally the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Although my bluewater cruising days are over and I have to live in a house with the boat at our dock, at least I have river rock for "lawn".
The photo is the launching after doing a bottom job in our side yard.

My wife has a mounded flower garden out front which I occasionally get roped into helping weed, but we don't own a lawnmower or even a weedwacker.

Steve B.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FF bottom wide (Medium).jpg
Views:	188
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	2044  
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 16:34   #23

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres
Yes--I can not adequately describe it--but as soon as the bow lifts to the ocean swell a wonderful feeling of freedom and well being takes over.

Sort of adds meaning to John Masefield's poem.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 17:43   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I had a young guy working for me in Malaysia. In most of Asia house gas for cooking is LPG bottles on a bad out back.

He didn't have gas. Only a coffee maker. When asked about that here is how the conversation went.

"Eric, when are you getting a gas bottle?"
"Slippery slope, man. First you get a gas bottle and then you cook. That means getting a pot. You get a pot and then you're tempted to get a plate. Then you need dish soap and a sponge. Then comes knives and forks and before you know it you have a table cloth and napkin rings."

Eric told my wife he could make tuna casserole with his coffee maker. She asked for the recipe - LOL.

Eric cleaned his entire house with Tide powdered laundry soap. His entire apartment smelled like a laundromat. He made good coffee though.

At the end of 2 years he decided to have a going away party. My wife couldn't stand it. She brought our househelper over to his apartment and spent the whole day cleaning it, brough a gas bottle from our house, cooked the food and basically ran the party.

I think Eric is brilliant - He's my hero...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 18:40   #25

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

"Eric, when are you getting a gas bottle?"
"Slippery slope, man. First you get a gas bottle and then you cook. That means getting a pot. You get a pot and then you're tempted to get a plate. Then you need dish soap and a sponge. Then comes knives and forks and before you know it you have a table cloth and napkin rings."

I think Eric is brilliant - He's my hero...
A perfect example of how all humans decide what is wanted and what is needed.

"It's all grey."
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 18:42   #26
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
Stuff eventually becomes the hurdles that we have to jump in order to reach our dreams. The more stuff we have, the bigger the hurdles that we have to face.

We all need to come to an agreement with all the stuff in our lives. The stuff that serves us, we keep. The rest we toss out.
Whenever the conversation turns to "stuff," I always think of two distinctly different things.

First, the George Carlin riff on "Stuff." Almost everyone who's heard it remembers his observation that, to the owner, his **** is "stuff" - everyone else's stuff is ****.

Second, the most famous short film ever made, Louis Bunuel's 1928 classic Un chien andalou (An Andalusian Dog). No one ever forgets the scene of the razor blade slicing through a woman's eye, but, to me, the real haunting scene is of the man trying to drag two grand pianos, two rotting donkey carcasses, two live priests (one of whom is played by co-writer, Salvador Dali) and the Ten Commandments.

The image has come to represent, for me, the burden of moving through one's life while saddled with "stuff." I'll leave it to others to assign meaning to what the items in the scene represent.

TaoJones
Old 05-11-2007, 07:12   #27

Boat: NONE yet
"Stuff" Is right, my wife was saying just this past weekend, " I don't think I can part with my antique sofa". I can blame her it is early 1900's Cuban Mahogany. Can't even get the wood anymore. I told her "we can store it at you parents till we need it again".

Back to HOME, realized that my whole front porch was rotten wood and all needed to be replaced. I was wishing it was decking on a boat that I was replacing as that would have been so much more enjoyable.
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:46   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Indeed!
I believe that "Bobby McGee" was the last song Joplin recorded, before her death (and her only #1 hit).
Indeed!!

At the Vulcan Gas Company, Austin, Tx

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 13:30   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
Indeed!!
At the Vulcan Gas Company, Austin, Tx
I thought the recording debuted on her "Pearl" album, which was a studio production (her last).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote