Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2019, 07:49   #16

Re: Mantus 65lb anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
... Use your"storm" anchor each and every time you drop the hook. When an unexpected thunderstorm hits at 0-dark-30 you'll be glad you did. The rest of the time it may be overkill but it won't hurt you to have it out. And for Pete's sake, having an extra 20 or 30 pounds on your bow will not make a perceptible change in anything. This is a heavy cruising boat, not a carbon hull racer.
^^^^^Double up vote for this comment! ^^^^^

If you have a proper windlass (either manual or powered) and all chain rode, why on earth would you NOT put your biggest, best anchor down EVERY DAY??? If your bow roller will not hold an anchor big enough for serious anchoring, either modify the bow, or get a proper cruising boat. that can hold a proper anchor.

The idea of keeping a "storm anchor" in a locker until you need it is so outdated as to be laughable. That was the logic when anchors were weighed by hand, and just keeps getting repeated by "experts" who can only quote the "experts" who published 50 years ago. Anchors have evolved so much that anything written 20 years ago is hopelessly outdated. Not that everything written today is right. Of course, this is not to say that keeping a spare anchor is not a good idea!

If you are really convinced that an extra 30 or 40 pounds on your bow will destroy your boat's sailing mojo, then just hack off 20 feet of chain (3/8" chain at 1.4 lbs/foot). The bigger anchor will make up for the difference and serve you better.

We retired a 88lb Rocna in favor of a 105lb Mantus and would never go back. (53 foot, 35,000 lbs) When that T-storm bears down on you with 50 to 70 knot winds you do not have time to get out your storm anchor from the bottom of the bilge.

The last time we were in Georgetown (our least favorite place in the Bahamas) weather came in and the winds gusted to 27 knots. Within sight of us, 4 boats dragged, two of them onto the beach. No real damage, but seriously? in 27 knots???
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2019, 09:47   #17

Boat: no boat any more

“The idea of keeping a "storm anchor" in a locker until you need it is so outdated as to be laughable“
“laughable“? Its idiotic! I'll watch the proponent assembling & deploying the stormhook at 0300h, bow going up & down 4', lightning striking left & right, dingi overturned from the wind...
Old 19-10-2019, 17:14   #18

Boat: Tayana 37, Farallon 25, Tahiti 16

We are loaded up good with all our cruising gear and dive compressor, four scuba tanks, dive gear etc, etc. I got good and tired of having to work at setting my CQR. Like Forest Gump says, "one less thing". And to me, keeping my boat off the rocks is a big thing.
Rearsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 16:12   #19

Boat: 37 Tayana Pilot House

I Have A Tayana 37, and the 65lb Mantus, with no windless. Yep its a bugger, but i do not want to drag,, period, I am just cruising around Florida not a liveaboard. Will have windless repaired , prior to full time cruising.

I am very happy with the anchor, so is my orthopedic surgeon....

Cheers Pop's
navysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 19:19   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Mantus 65lb anchor

I used my 25kg Rocna with no windlass for awhile when we were weekending, it wasn’t too bad until the day I had to leave and there was a lot of wind, I don’t think I could do it today, but I had to be at work the next day.
Later I learned to use some line and the sheet winch, you can winch in about 35 feet at a time that way if you have to.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 16:54   #21

The Mantus is now on the bow and I like it. Yes its much bigger than my old 45LB cqr and I like it. My wife and I push off from Jacksonville Fl area in about two weeks for Hawaii, in Costa Rica I might stow the Mantus for the crossing. The matus sure makes my sconed bow anchor, a CQR 35Lb look like a dinghy anchor!
Old 17-11-2019, 08:12   #22

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY

I've got the 105# Mantus and love it! I dragged at anchor a couple of years ago in the Sea of Cortez when winds came up about 30-40 knots at 0100. I awoke to the sound of breaking surf in a spot with no waves normally. I'll never forget the feeling of clawing off the lee shore just minutes before I would have grounded.

I'm on a larger boat now, 52' and about 50,000#, but I now have a BFO (big f*#king anchor) and sleep well every night. Also, I ALWAYS dive on my anchor after setting it. Yes, people joke about the size and I just smile.

Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2019, 15:19   #23

I had to move my bow rollers all the way forward on me bowsprit. The anchor sits up there nicely. I order two Crosby forged and galvanized shackles to replace the Mantis stainless steel one as to get rid of dissimilar medals. And as for the guy that hauls that anchor up by hand, WOW! Strong back.
Old 06-02-2020, 21:51   #24

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37

New to all this... My Pacific Seacraft 37 came with 44# Rocna and 300' of 5/16th G43 chain. Being that the boat displaces 9500# and 6500# less than the Rafiki and the Tayana respectively it does not sound terribly undersized. What do you think? I have no qualms about oversizing the anchor. Thanks.
Tiemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:06   #25

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiemo View Post
New to all this... My Pacific Seacraft 37 came with 44# Rocna and 300' of 5/16th G43 chain. Being that the boat displaces 9500# and 6500# less than the Rafiki and the Tayana respectively it does not sound terribly undersized. What do you think? I have no qualms about oversizing the anchor. Thanks.
For me, it would come down to what my boat can reasonably manage. If my crew and anchoring system can manage a larger anchor without undue effort, then I'd go for a larger one.

My current bower is a Rocna 25 (55#) on 220 feet of 3/8" chain. On the charts this makes it slightly oversized for my boat, but if/when I replace it I'll go at least one size larger. This anchor has performed admirably over the years, but I now know I can just as easily manage the next size up, so that's what I will choose.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:16   #26

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

You get the M1 or new M2?

Seems like a spillover from that other thread about anchor size. If the anchor fits and you can handle it, then that's the important thing. The thing about determining if you can handle a particular size of anchor hasn't really been thoroughly hashed out - it doesn't matter that you can handle the anchor in benign conditions - it matters if you can handle it when conditions are hitting the proverbial fan. Big unexpected blow and sudden chop in the perfect anchorage (at night of course) and while you hold firm, there's two boats dragging towards you and you have to bug out. Or it's all gone pear-shaped and you're being blown down on a beach and emergency anchoring is your only remaining option.

BTW at 2.2 lbs/kg a 33 Rocna weighs 73 lbs.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:28   #27

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiemo View Post
??? 9500 lbs sounds pretty light for that displacement.

I have a Pacific Seacraft 40 and the listed displacement is 24,000 # with the measured weight when we were last hauled at just @ 29,000 #. Sailboatdata shows the 37 to be listed at 16,000#; ballast alone at 6200#. Where are you getting your info from?
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:35   #28

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeys Kitchen View Post
??? 9500 lbs sounds pretty light for that displacement.
I think he means that his boat is 9500# lighter than a Rafiki.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 17:12   #29

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
I think he means that his boat is 9500# lighter than a Rafiki.
Thank you for clearing that up for me; makes much more sense now
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Mantus