Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2020, 13:01   #106

Boat: Hunter 38
Re: Message-in-a-Bottle - Launched / Found?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
You are taking it extremes. Maybe disposing of my mother's ashes on an outgoing tide was littering?
lol IDK about your mum, but mines biodegradable
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 13:37   #107

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
lol IDK about your mum, but mines biodegradable
I guess they will have to throw me in the outgoing tide. A guess a long ship and a pyre is out of the question.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 16:04   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Isn't glass just sand in a different form?
Yes, and it’s legal to dispose of at the right range offshore.

Bummed to see giant bags of trash from cruise ships. But a sunken bottle?
nonav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 16:05   #109

I think mine’s preserved��
Old 05-11-2020, 16:58   #110

Boat: a sailing boat

I got one from people who found it and they did not know English (the message in the bottle was in English).

It was a very pretty Danish girl who sent it, and I was 15 years old then. It was before google translate too.

Funny story, but true anyways.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 19:49   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonav View Post
Yes, and it’s legal to dispose of at the right range offshore.

Bummed to see giant bags of trash from cruise ships. But a sunken bottle?
But a 1,000 bottles?

We are all righteously outraged when Billy Joe Jim Bob and Cleetus swing by in their Bassmaster 2000 tossing their Coors Light empties in their wake (and not just at their terrible taste in beer) but its OK for Chadwick to toss an empty Mumms bottle off the stern of his Bene as long as its got a message in it?

All the defense in for this activity in this thread is based solely on scale. But there's zero difference in one person tossing 1,000 bottles or 1,000 people tossing 1 bottle each.

Its littering plain and simple and its the height of hypocrisy to think otherwise.
Old 05-11-2020, 19:52   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I guess they will have to throw me in the outgoing tide. A guess a long ship and a pyre is out of the question.
Bio degradable, although personally my rotting corpse is going to a med school, if there's anything useable.

Frankly I plan on going to the grave screaming sideways at 100 mph with my hair on fire. I expect them to get me on the slab, unzip me, and back away in revulsion saying "Ugh, get him out of there, there's nothing we can use in here!"
Old 06-11-2020, 03:42   #113
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

In 2018, a family in Perth, found (at Wedge Island) the world's oldest known message in a bottle, 131 years and 223 days after it was thrown into the sea (from 32.49 South, 105.25 East).
The note in the bottle, which was dated 12 June 1886, was jettisoned from the German ship ‘Paula’, as part of an experiment into ocean and shipping routes, by the German Naval Observatory (Deutsche Seewarte in Hamburg).
According to officials at the Western Australian Museum, German captains threw thousands of bottles overboard, between 1864 and 1933, as part of a research project into currents and shipping routes, but, to date only 662 messages - and no bottles - had been returned. The last bottle with a note to be found, was in Denmark in 1934.
“Oldest message in a bottle found on Western Australia beach”https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-43299283

Over the last two decades, Harold Hackett has sent out over 10,000 messages in a bottle, from the Canadian coast.
Every message asks for the finder to send a response back to Hackett, and since 1996, he has received over 4,800 responses, from all over the world.
“P.E.I.'s 'Bottle Man' agrees to stop message-in-a-bottle campaign that uses plastic containers”https://www.theguardian.pe.ca/news/l...ainers-232725/

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 05:03   #114
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

“A time capsule was left at the North Pole in 2018 for travellers in the distant future. Turns out, that’s 2020"
A metal time capsule left in the ice at the North Pole in 2018 washed up on the shore of northeastern Ireland this week, floating across more than 3,700 km of water.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...rRL?li=AAggNb9

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 05:51   #115

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Believe it or not I've found 2 notes, released by schoolchildren via balloon at different times, from different places, on my mostly woods-covered 50 acres, in the last 24 years. Both were from less than 100 miles away, and both were found too late to be of use to the children's class (found a year or more after their release).

After 40+ years of beach-combing, never found a message in a bottle (though there're so many bottles now, who looks?)
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:30   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I got one from people who found it and they did not know English (the message in the bottle was in English).

It was a very pretty Danish girl who sent it, and I was 15 years old then. It was before google translate too.

Funny story, but true anyways.

barnakiel
Hormones gone wild I would guess.
Old 06-11-2020, 10:40   #117

Boat: Leopard 40

Recently found a bottle with the alphabet written backwards on the note.

Couldn’t make out the email!
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 17:58   #118

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

If you find your own bottle in the morning on the beach, does this count.

Not that this happened, just asking for a friend.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:53   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
If you find your own bottle in the morning on the beach, does this count.

Not that this happened, just asking for a friend.
Dave, give yourself hell for littering your beach. Isn't that where this began.
Old 30-01-2021, 21:23   #120

A story that's still told in my family: I found a message in a bottle in 1979 in San Diego when I was 10 years old. I was over the moon, let me tell you. My dad said we had to wait until we got home to open it. We were on a day trip to the beach and then we were then visiting friends for a BBQ dinner, so it was going to be a long wait.

Well, the whole thing just ignited my imagination and I couldn't shut up about it all day, wondering out loud about who could have written the message and what their motivation was: Was is a sailor? Another little girl across the world? Maybe she left her address and I would have a new friend across the world. Was the note 10 years old or 100 years old and dad, can you tell how old a note is just by the paper? Dad? Dad? Dad? Maybe it was someone on a deserted island and they needed help! Dad! What if it someone who needs help, we should open it now! LOL, as my parents tell it, I about drove them mad that day.

We got home very late that night and my dad said we'd open it in the morning. Well, come morning we open it and it's just a sketch of some trees and a bird. There's no note, no date, no 10 year old girl on the other side of the world looking for a pen pal, no one stuck on a deserted island hoping for rescue. It was all very anti-climatic and one of the biggest let downs of my childhood. It ranks second only behind finding out that those "Sea Monkeys" which were sold in the back of comic books do not in fact have have faces or wear crowns, rather they were simply brine shrimp. Why yes, I AM still salty about that, thank you very much.

Anyway, many years later I come to find out that my parents couldn't wait for morning and that turned out to be a good thing. They opened it that night while us kids were sleeping only to discover that it was some local pranksters had included pictures of nekkid ladies from playboy. My parents couldn't very well tell us what it really was, so my mom drew up a quick picture of the trees and birds and replaced it before we "opened" it in the morning.

We've had a good laugh about it a few times. Those were the days.
trixare4kids is offline   Reply With Quote