Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2008, 12:05   #1

Boat: owned a 6m single hull sailing boat, a HIRONDELL 23 cat and chartered modern +8m ELAN boats
pirate Message-in-a-Bottle - Launched / Found?

a bit of romance -> have u ever launched/ found a bottle message?
i found it once from Germany and send my message on the address; i launched it once only
Karletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:33   #2

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
have u ever launched/ found a bottle message?
No, but I did find a bottle of piss when I was a young kid.
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 19:25   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I have with instructions to forward it to another person.......a person found e-mailed me....I don't know if they ever forwarded it.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 19:44   #4

Once a Petrone bottle washed up on Melbourne Beach in Florida. There was a note written on homemade paper with a sterling silver ring inside. The note said, "If anyone finds this ring, I hope it brings them more happiness than it has brought to me."

~~_/)_~~

BlueLagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:28   #5

Boat: Grampian, 26ft, Columbia
When I was sailing my boat back from Buffalo, I re-capped two bottles and sent them adrift with my email address in them and some thoughtful points of wisedom within it. Although I think the sun and rum got to me, so I am sure what I wrote was just me writing the alphabet backwards or something. =)
Capt Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:47   #6

Boat: Lagoon 420
We dropped off a bottle half way between Bermuda and The Azores recently. My guess it is still swirling around the Atlantic at this point.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:48   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
True story

First night out on a cruise ship leaving Miami on a week cruise I was on the top deck having a few too many bottles of wine with some new found friends. We got the great idea of writing notes in the empties and tossing them off the back of the boat. Three days after I got back there was a reply in the mail. It said " We got your message and are glad you had a good time the night you and your friends sent your messages. Though in the future we would appreciate you tossing them over the sides instead of on the lower deck as the broken glass could be hazardous to the crew below." Thanking you in advance Norwegian criuse line.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 19:40   #8

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
True story

First night out on a cruise ship leaving Miami on a week cruise I was on the top deck having a few too many bottles of wine with some new found friends. We got the great idea of writing notes in the empties and tossing them off the back of the boat. Three days after I got back there was a reply in the mail. It said " We got your message and are glad you had a good time the night you and your friends sent your messages. Though in the future we would appreciate you tossing them over the sides instead of on the lower deck as the broken glass could be hazardous to the crew below." Thanking you in advance Norwegian criuse line.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:55   #9

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLagoon View Post
Once a Petrone bottle washed up on Melbourne Beach in Florida. There was a note written on homemade paper with a sterling silver ring inside. The note said, "If anyone finds this ring, I hope it brings them more happiness than it has brought to me."
Interesting. Did it?

I found a bottle, also around Melbourne Beach, in 1987. The note inside said it was from grad student who was motoring to the Bahamas dropping several bottles at timed intervals as part of a Masters thesis, requesting we send him a postcard telling when and where we found it but warning he might not be able to do the same. I sent him the postcard and a few weeks later I got a response back.

Not very romantic. But the walk on the beach at night was.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:10   #10

Boat: 36ft one off trimiran
my daughter dropped a bottle over the side when we were crossing st vincent gulf approx 55 ks in adelaide back in 07 but sadly no replies to date
trinescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:08   #11

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
Did some Cat sailing in Belize and launched a couple of clear plastic water bottles w messages. Its fun and if you have something 'worthwhile' to share its interesting. Its kind of like launching a balloon w a note attached and you may very well be surprised to get a letter back. I like the idea of including an e mail return address too.

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:28   #12
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I sealed a note in an empty rum bottle, and dropped it into the Gulf Stream off Cape Hatteras in 2004. The note included our position, the date, the names of the crew onboard, and contact information including email and phone number. I also added a US$5 bill in hopes that the finder would call me.

Unfortunately, with the decline in value of the Dollar, it would be a very short call today.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:02   #13

Found one!

One winter day about 3 years ago I was walking my dog on the beach on Sandy Hook NJ. I'm always thinking I'm going to find some flotsam that will be worth taking home so I walk the highwater line. Lo and behold, there in the sand looking as romantic as a budwieser bottle can look, was a message in a bottle!
The message was written some in English and some in Spanish. A friend translated what I couldn't understand. The author was, is, from Chile! But before you start plotting tidal currents from Chile to New Jersey, she was visiting an Aunt in Coney Island NY about 10 miles(tops) and within sight across the water from where I found the note. There was an email address so we began a correspondence. Luckily she can communicate in two languages, because I have trouble with one. It seems that she had launched the message about a week before I found it. Of course she never expected to get a response back.
She had returned to Chile by the time I replied, so we have not met in person but we remain pen pals. She is 18 years old and into things 18 years olds are into and I am 60 and have long since sown my wild oats. But it is nice to share experiences with new people.
We both feel that there is something "special" about our relationship because of the way we met.
BP
Bruceyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 16:47   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
We have thrown over around 40 or 50 bottles over the years. Only 1 was ever returned - and it was one of the first we ever threw overboard - from St. Lucia, it was picked up in Ft. Lauderdale, by a lady vacationing from Arizona.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 21:19   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
OK - I will leave the environmental comments aside - LOL

Not a bottle story but my brother is a bit of (well a lot of) a goof. He worked in a factory boxing the board game trivial pursuit. It's a game with cards of trivia questions. There are also blank cards to make you own questions.

My brother in his boredom started writing notes on the blank cards - "Arbeit Macht Frei" and "Help I am being held prisoner in a Trivial Pursuit factory."

The bosses were not happy and so another high paying job went down the tubes...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote