Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2021, 10:35   #106
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Moitessier Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
Jesus but that's commitment; especially as fags are <50% of the Salcombe price in the Azores. I ran out of cigarettes just once, making perhaps the slowest ever passage between Fiji and NZ, but then I found the bag of local tobacco which I'd bought in Tonga and immediately deemed 'unsmokeable' inside the chart table and discovered that actually it wasn't; it was a close run thing mind.

I'd recommend the Pacific rather than Atlantic for kicking a cigarette habit, once the Panama stockpile (100+ cartons @ US$4-5/carton) was finished, the prices were painful wherever we went; being land-bound in NZ and now the UK is what's finally got me off them - >£10 pack!
Yup... the prices shook me when I picked up a boat in the UK a coupla years back..
The Sail date got put back a week because things needed doing and by the time I got to Falmouth from N Wales my Portuguese smokes had run out.. shuda brought rollies..
It hurt paying £20+ for 30gms of tobacco and the papers.. its €11/30gms down here, with a free pack of papers..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:05   #107

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Moitessier Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
So true, and it seems to be in peoples' hard wiring. I've often observed this with crew who are old friends and frequent companions on adventures on land. But on the boat they're suddenly doing the math on ETA's in light winds based on whether I fire the engine or not (which I'm generally loathe to do). Don't they know that once they step foot on my boat they've already arrived at their destination?

Old 06-10-2021, 12:08   #108
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I've seen some crazy things..having spent a lot of time in Africa...I've seen locals use a piece of newspaper as their "rolling" paper or sometimes a piece of brown paper bags......marijuana is grown everywhere, and is cheaper than ciggies, being as that you can just grow it and pluck it yourself, so becomes the tobacco of choice......the whiff of newspaper and weed is an unmistakable and distinctive smell...

In my youth, one could buy a "10 pack" of Lexingtons...for the princely sum of about 5c, back then.....so for our limited budget at the time...several of us would chip to find the necessary 5c....1 ciggy would be shared amongst us, 2-3 pulls each...a 10 pack could last a week...

we were quite the rebels...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 12:08   #109

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Yup... the prices shook me when I picked up a boat in the UK a coupla years back..
The Sail date got put back a week because things needed doing and by the time I got to Falmouth from N Wales my Portuguese smokes had run out.. shuda brought rollies..
It hurt paying £20+ for 30gms of tobacco and the papers.. its €11/30gms down here, with a free pack of papers..
The only thing I long before EU was the taxfree tobacco we border dwellers bought from Norway. 6kilos a year, some 300 Finnish mark at the time, maybe 50€.. Petteroe's Blanding nr3..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2021, 10:37   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Don't they know that once they step foot on my boat they've already arrived at their destination?
Thank you for putting into words something that I have long known but did not know how to express.
Be Free is online now   Reply With Quote