Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2015, 08:01   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Most embarrassing DIY maintenance moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
That reminded me of a screw in the wrong place dumb a$$ move I pulled.
Wasn't me, it was my Brother, but he was standing bare foot in a cast iron bathtub screwing in screws in strips that held on the shower surround, and screwed one of them into the 50 amp 220V line for the stove that was on the other side of the wall.
Surprised it didn't kill him, it did weld the screwdriver to the screw though.
We were sitting in the Den watching TV, heard a loud POP, **** and the lights go out, blew the main 100 amp breaker too. I go in there to find him laying in the tub, out cold
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 08:40   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Wasn't me, it was my Brother, but he was standing bare foot in a cast iron bathtub screwing in screws in strips that held on the shower surround, and screwed one of them into the 50 amp 220V line for the stove that was on the other side of the wall.
We were sitting in the Den watching TV, heard a loud POP, **** and the lights go out, blew the main 100 amp breaker too. I go in there to find him laying in the tub, out cold
Now that's scary. Really could have done him in, if not the shock then bashing his head on the tub.

I had a friend that welded his watch to a terminal. He had one of the old Bug-eyed Sprites, with the typical weird British electrical system with hot and ground terminals on the starter instead of grounding through the block.

He was working on the engine reaching backhanded around the block and his Rolex shorted across the starter terminals creating a dead short straight to the battery. Because of the awkward angle he couldn't pull the watch free and it was starting to burn his hand. Finally got his other hand in there and popped open the clasp and pulled his hand free but the watch was so hot it left blisters all the way down the back of his hand.

Now his hand is free but his Rolex is welded to the starter and ready to melt. With his right hand loose he was able to reach in with both hands and pop it loose, of course now burning the fingers on both hands.

The short was from one side of the case across to the third link on the band on the other side. The three links on the band were completely fused and the case was blackened and literally smoking. He figured it was dead but took it to the local Rolex shop to see. The pulled out the melted rubber O-rings, cleaned the residue from burned oil, re-lubed it and it started ticking. After buffing the case the only thing left was a little burned spot on the case. New band and he was in business. What an ad for a watch.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 09:14   #48

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Ha! I just did the same thing a month ago at work but with a full size fridge!

We have a fridge at my work supposed to be only for the service department. Well we were having some problems with one portly person from another department stealing our food that we all bought to share, with in our department. I asked my boss about installing a lock on it to keep him out. So with his approval I happily got everything at Lowe's and started installing the lock. All the while I'm smiling thinking how fun it's going to be to see his disappointed face when he can't steal our food anymore. All in all I had to put in 10 screws for the 2 latch assemblies. Wouldn't you know on the Tenth and final screw I hit a freon line and killed the fridge.

I quickly removed all evidence (minus the ten holes) told my boss and he told me to keep quiet and not let the owner know. The fridge is still dead and my co-workers won't let me forget it.
In university, I learned that you shouldn't defrost a freezer with a screwdriver. Went right through on the first try and killed the freezer.

Chris - SailMentor.com
Old 19-10-2015, 09:20   #49

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Alright.. I will admit to one..

When we bought our boat, she was freshly out of charter. Somewhere in the 5 years in charter, the solar controller failed and instead of replacing it, the charter company just cut the wires.

First order of business was to install a new MPPT controller. I decided to wire the panels in series as they are WAY back on our bimini and never shaded. My crew member who is an electrician reconfigured all the wiring at the panels and asked if I wanted it left disconnected while I repaired the wire that was cut. Since it was low voltage DC (I wasn't thinking), I said no, I will splice it live..... DAMN.. 4 panels in series in full tropical sun is 80V DC. It actually made my body jump off the cockpit floor... and stupid me, I touched it twice!

I promptly had him unhook the wires after the second jolt!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 09:29   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

During the summer I was buffing a hull with my Makita 9227C while wearing ear buds and listening to music on an iPod mini fastened on the waistband of my shorts. Usually I put the headphone wires inside my shirt but not always. As I bent over to get to a low area, the cord wrapped around the spinning buffer pad (1500 rpm) and whipped the ear buds from my ears violently, destroying them. At least I was wearing eye protection. Dumb, especially as they were expensive ones and a gift.

But not as dumb as doing exactly the same thing a second time last week.

My best drilling story occurred while building a home in 2003. Bimbo Supermodel Trophy wife (what my kids called her) was drilling holes at the top of a window to install mini blinds in the breakfast nook area. While standing on a chair, she carefully marked the hole locations with a pencil, aligned the drill by staring down the bit shaft as though using a gun sight and slowly cranked up the drill for the first hole. As she passed through the drywall, she hit a Pex water line that had been run to an outside faucet and a jet of water hit her directly between the eyes, knocking her off the chair with a scream. She wasn't hurt, but I saw the whole thing happen and had a good laugh after running to the garage to turn the water off. The jet of water shot 12 feet across the room.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 12:15   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul View Post
She wasn't hurt, but I saw the whole thing happen and had a good laugh after running to the garage to turn the water off.
You laughed and lived to tell about it?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 12:26   #52

Quote:
During the summer I was buffing a hull with my Makita 9227C while wearing ear buds and listening to music on an iPod mini fastened on the waistband of my shorts. Usually I put the headphone wires inside my shirt but not always. As I bent over to get to a low area, the cord wrapped around the spinning buffer pad (1500 rpm) and whipped the ear buds from my ears violently, destroying them. At least I was wearing eye protection. Dumb, especially as they were expensive ones and a gift.

But not as dumb as doing exactly the same thing a second time last week.

My best drilling story occurred while building a home in 2003. Bimbo Supermodel Trophy wife (what my kids called her) was drilling holes at the top of a window to install mini blinds in the breakfast nook area. While standing on a chair, she carefully marked the hole locations with a pencil, aligned the drill by staring down the bit shaft as though using a gun sight and slowly cranked up the drill for the first hole. As she passed through the drywall, she hit a Pex water line that had been run to an outside faucet and a jet of water hit her directly between the eyes, knocking her off the chair with a scream. She wasn't hurt, but I saw the whole thing happen and had a good laugh after running to the garage to turn the water off. The jet of water shot 12 feet across the room.
Post pics of her in a bikini or it didn't happen.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 13:57   #53

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Post pics of her in a bikini or it didn't happen.
Seconded
Old 19-10-2015, 20:58   #54

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Azul, did she abandon ship?
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 21:10   #55

Boat: Catalina 30

[QUOTE=Azul;1941025]...whipped the ear buds from my ears violently, destroying them.

Sorry to hear about your destroyed ears...
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 00:10   #56

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I could fill page after page of dumba$$ things I've done - but since this occurred yesterday....................

I was removing my 30kg Mantus anchor. Lokked to see that it was tied down (2 places) but didn't think to check if it was tied so it couldn't slide out onthe anchor roller. Unbolted the swivel and as I got the bolt out, the anchor simply rolled out over the edge and down she went (15 feet of water).

%&$£/''^and several other words not fit for mixed company. This is copenhagen, so water temperature is about 15 degrees C - not exactly my favorite for diving.

But wonder of wonders - as I comptemplated getting out the wetsuit, I realized that the Mantus has a roll bar which I could see. My mooring hook tied on the end of 20 meters of rode, let me hook the rollbar and lift the out the anchor.

Fortunately noone saw it happen and i'll deny it ever occurring if my wife finds out

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 01:30   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I saw this and laughed all the way through.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 05:27   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
I was changing out the rear pinion seal on my jeep in my garage ....
Well... At least it wasn't a 3500... and you put the parking brake on before you popped the driveshaft... For a few minutes I thought... "Well I'll miss them... But at least I don't need my legs at the helm"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Rushing below, hole saw in hand, he quickly made the one inch diameter hole through the inner hull, the foam coring, the outer hull... and the travel lift sling! Cost him over a thousand bucks to replace that sling, and a considerable amount of hilarity directed at him by all present who had tired of his attitude!
Jim
I LOVE IT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Now that's scary. Really could have done him in, if not the shock then bashing his head on the tub.

I had a friend that welded his watch to a terminal. He had one of the old Bug-eyed Sprites, with the typical weird British electrical system with hot and ground terminals on the starter instead of grounding through the block.

What an ad for a watch.
Boy this dates me....

I miss sunday sports with John Cameron Swayze...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 05:36   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Reminds me of the time working a rental yard.... Checking a 10KW genset before heading out... with an electric chainsaw... short in the saw... couldn't let go... had to swing my arm like I was surf fishin' to get the running saw outta my hand... Checked gensets with pumps after that....

Quote:
She wasn't hurt, but I saw the whole thing happen and had a good laugh after running to the garage to turn the water off. The jet of water shot 12 feet across the room.
I would pay good money for a re-enactment...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 07:11   #60
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

Quote:
Seconded
Halloween 2004. I can post bikini pictures if this isn't Bimbo-ish enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Philicia and Mike, Halloween 2004_edited-1.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	402.1 KB
ID:	111294  
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, men