Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2009, 05:09   #16

Boat: 1974 Cal 29
When I was 16 I had an old Hobie 16 that I would single-hand around the bottom of Tampa Bay and that part of the Gulf of Mexico.

One day my sailing mentor, Bo, was on his Prindle 18-2 with me following along in my Hobie. We were sailing out of the ICW to go around the north end of Anna Maria Island and stop at one of our favorite restaurants.

It was almost a dead calm, but of the two piers that stick out from the north end of the Island, the west-most had a flag flying which was standing straight out. I watch as Bo goes past, trapezes off the side and flies the hull nice and high for all the people fishing off the end of the pier.

I figured I could do better...

...so I sail closer to the pier, just far enough that I won't tangle their fishing lines. Instead of trapezing I just hike out, and let the wind push the boat over. Too late I realize that I'm too close to the pier to round up, and not being on the trapeze I don't have the leverage to hold her down. Even with the sails dumped, she still goes over.

I was close enough to the pier to hear a collective "awww..." from the crowd as I did my swim of shame.
Seafarer24 is offline   Reply With Quote