Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2009, 20:29   #1

Boat: HUnter 260- Moonshadow
Mother Nature Doesn't Like Showoffs

she will put you in your place.

This weekend was a busy day at the lake with many families out. We were just sailing around when I noticed a pontoon boat following us. He came up along my starboard side, a safe distance off. I was on a starboard, close reach tack running at 4-5 knts, sails full and trimmed, the boat balanced with a slight heel, sitting in the high side cat bird seat. with a cold ice tea in hand..all was good.

On the pontoon boat there were 5-6 people people all lined up with cameras. I was watching them over my shoulder and I must admit posing a little.

Just as I was looking really cool a big gust came and heeled us over to about 35 - 40 degrees. The boat turned sharply to weather, drink went flying as I was stepping on the mainsheet (you Hunter 260 owners know what I mean) to release the main, heading toward the pontoon boat.

The mainsheet released, the gust passed and she fell off and resumed our course well before any danger. If they were not too scared I bet they got some good pictures of a frantic, not so cool looking sailor. They waved as they drove off.

The admiral gave me that look...followed by my brilliant, red faced response... what?, as she started picking up all the carniege in the cabin.

As I said mother nature does not like show offs or maybe I should have been just paying attention to sailing. I swear I heard mother nature laughing.

In retrospect I realizied a lot could have gone really bad and reminded me...once again... to keep a watchful eye on the water at all times.

Tim
breweraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 20:33   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
You are forgiven for spilling iced tea. On our boat spilling an alcoholic beverage is a serious breach of seamanship and you would have been flogged by the mast.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 20:39   #3

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Yeah,
One night I finished my watch and was just drifting off to sleep when I heard the crew cry with excitement "7 knots!" Well, that may sound great but the boat I was on didn't do 7 knots to save her life. I reach up to go tell them to reef when we were knocked down. The boat righted herself beautifully with no damage even though no one in the cockpit released any sheets, she righted with sails full of water. She wasn't fast but she was strong
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 20:41   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by breweraz View Post
she will put you in your place.

The admiral gave me that look...followed by my brilliant, red faced response... what?, as she started picking up all the carniege in the cabin.

As I said mother nature does not like show offs or maybe I should have been just paying attention to sailing. I swear I heard mother nature laughing.

In retrospect I realizied a lot could have gone really bad and reminded me...once again... to keep a watchful eye on the water at all times.

Tim
This is one of the reasons I feel very fortunate to have spent so much time racing. I have not raced in nearly 20 years, but I always watch for gusts and other weather changes when I'm on the water.... no matter what else is going on.

Anyone who's done a lot of racing has no trouble at all seeing wind gusts coming, especially when you've spent long hours looking for those telltale signs of wind velocity changes and shifts.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 22:28   #5

Ok my guilt is too much to handle....you win....I confess....it was a beer that went flying.

Tim
Old 15-06-2009, 22:34   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by breweraz View Post
Ok my guilt is too much to handle....you win....I confess....it was a beer that went flying.

Tim
I knew my expert interrogation skills would eventually break you down - LOL.

When the wind is from the south here we pass right under the flight path for Changi Airport. Water spouts often result from the wingtip vortices. We've had more than one exciting moment on the water including a couple of almost knockdowns.
Old 15-06-2009, 22:53   #7

Boat: Skookum 53'
Ex-Calif, did you mean flogged before the mast, or flogged with the mast, or flogged near the mast?
Old 16-06-2009, 06:11   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I sailed around Point Conception in the middle of the night with the wind blowing 50+, and the waves 20+ on a handkerchief of a headsail. At times doing 8 1/2 knots on a 30ft. Columbia.

I got into Santa Barbara about 3am, and slept the sleep of the dead. In the morning I could hear all kinds of chatter on the dock. The local fishermen were talking up a storm about a fellow fisherman out in the night. I was feeling pretty proud. Yeah, there I was alone facing the elements in a nasty situation. I walked up, and got a coffee, and pastry. Walking back past the fishermen my head got a little bigger, and my chest puffed out some more.

All proud of myself I stepped on to Frolic with a swagger, picture Errol Flynn. Stepped into the companionway, and promptly slipped down the steps to the sole. Coffee all over the place including me. My ankle sore, my knee sore, and a squished pastry. I believe to this day it was Mother Nature at my back giving me a lesson on being humble.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 07:12   #9

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
In my neck of the woods there is a row of restaurants that line the Clear Lake channel to Galveston bay. I took a friend of mine out in my little 25 footer even though there was a small craft warning. We got right in front of these restaurants and the waves were rolling in! I stood proud and bold at the helm and looked fearlessly into the bay. I gave my friend a confident smile. Just then A wave picked us up and the outboard jumped into the UP LOCKED position. It seems I had forgotten to lock the motor mount. Water sprayed 10-15 feet into the air, the engine screamed so loud that if the rooster tail didn't catch your attention then the noise did. This is a cantankerous mount and took many tries to lock (all in front of a hundred onlookers). I finaly got it locked, restarted the engine and turn around. I mumble to my friend lets sail in the lake today.

Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 08:55   #10

Boy do I feel better... mother nature picks on more than just me. The good thing is we all probaly learned or was reminded of something that will make us better sailors.

Ocean girl I know exactly where you are talking about. If on a weekend you had a large audience.

I can picture each situation and get a good laugh.

Please keep them coming...time for your confession...it will make you feel better and minimal pentenance. (except for me and my upcoming flogging for spilling a beer)

Tim
Old 17-06-2009, 02:20   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Ex-Calif, did you mean flogged before the mast, or flogged with the mast, or flogged near the mast?
Yes

Actually my mast is the master at arms and does all my floggings for me. I'll stick with, "Flogged by the mast."
Old 17-06-2009, 06:08   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I knew my expert interrogation skills would eventually break you down - LOL.

When the wind is from the south here we pass right under the flight path for Changi Airport. Water spouts often result from the wingtip vortices. We've had more than one exciting moment on the water including a couple of almost knockdowns.
Thanks....that was a good laugh!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 15:30   #13
CLOD

Boat: none
Was part of the lost "coolness" lapping up the spilt "iced tea" as surely you didn't after this let it go to waste.
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 12:15   #14

Boat: Island Packet 380
Early this spring, we were very proud of the fact that we were the fourth boat in the water. Seems we have sort of a friendly competition of who can get their boat in the water the earliest in the spring. We even tempted the natural order of the progression of the spring thaw and sailed while there was still ice on the very center of the lake. We sailed up to the edge of the ice and it was slushy enough to edge through it a bit, was kind of a fun experience.

We got back to the dock and I brought a stern line over to wrap it around the pier, while my husband was tying up the other lines. I promptly lost my balance on the narrow finger pier and fell into the freezing cold lake. Oh my.....that water is cold!

Evidently, mother nature does not like it when you engage in water activities when there is still ice where there should be water.
sweetsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 05:31   #15

Great story

Sometimes those are the best weekends!
SkipJack is offline   Reply With Quote