Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2011, 12:47   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: My First Two Sails . . . And it Was All Different

gurlee--ye will do great--is all just a lil bit new yet and will come to ye sooner than ye think---sailing is such a huge and terrific fineness---- you already know that-- just keeps getting better each time.
i2f is always right--- is a constant learning experience---isnt one day i dont learn something new when i am out there. heck i even had fun destroying my perfectly (not)good teak when we hit 60 kt winds--- so much fun sailing i didnt care about the breakage---oops---- but is all goood----only thing still bugs me a bit is these t-boomers we get ---lightning is scary stuff. makes learning how to sail easy pie... have fun and keep up the great work!!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2011, 17:29   #17

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

The boat didnt get broken and nobody got hurt? You are doing as well as anyone. I have been docking the same boat for years now and every now and then completely blow it. Maybe there are some out there who dock perfectly every time but I am sure not one of them.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 18:08   #18

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Even when you get it down pat you'll come in the marina. Square everything up like you did more then a few times before. You'll line up the boat after you start your turn to the slip. Get the bow centered and start not drifting but slowly entering the slip. And Pooooooof! A gust of wind across your bow almost blows you into the same boat or slip you were almost in the other day.

They call it Murphies law but I think God is watching and has a sense of humor..:-)
When your in a hundred feet of water holding the seacock to the galley sinks drain in your right hand and water is rushing in like your going over Niagra falls. You might have a problem. Until then.

Don't sweat the small stuff.
Old 19-07-2011, 18:22   #19

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

I was lucky enough to have Jack Klang show me the "secrets" of docking this winter at Strictly Sail Chicago. While I have been sailing (and motoring) for years, I always seemed to worry as soon as I got inside a breakwater heading for a dock.

Now I don't panic and rarely have to rush to do anything, even when singlehandling.

He has a few videos on youtube that are pretty well done.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 05:27   #20

Boat: Hunter Cherubini 25'
Same here Adax! We've had our sailboat just a few days over a month and taken her out three times so far. Two of those I docked her myself. The last time we went out without our instructor and I kept hearing his voice inside my head the whole time...coaching me without actually being there. I have to tell you...that first solo trip was a little scary...but was also so incredibly rewarding! I feel muuuuuch more confident now. We have one more lesson with him and then it's all trial and error. Well....except I read this forum with such intent as to keep my mistakes down to a bare minimum. Glad to know you're in the same "boat" as we are. LoL!
BareFtGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 18:27   #21

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen

Thank you all for the encouragement. Recently things have been going really well. So much so that I have started to study for my license here.

To skipper a boat you need a license from the navy prefecture.To get it you need to sit a theoretic test on how to sail, Ripa IALA, some costal navegation,determining tides etc.
After the test there is a practical showing that you can singlehand the boat and are able to perform a MOB. If you pass you are authorised to skipper a max 60 ft sailboat on the interior Rio de la Plata.

Barefoot Girl you are doing great . I am not at your level yet but just wait....
I like your boat by the way.

Khagan I had not heard of Jack Klang.I will look him up.Thanks.

W1651 Thanks for putting things into perspective.

Sck Thank you

Zee ,as always you are an inspiration.
Old 30-07-2011, 18:49   #22

Boat: grampian 26

A sailboat in the tropics, to die for.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 19:06   #23
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ty adax--i am just here watching clocks tick and watching weather change until i can get out of here and sail more south....nov or dec is a probability for moving on

and my minimalist attitude met sauna days in pair a dice-- willbe getting air conditioner within 2 ish weeks. might even buy a friend's freezer...LOL

perchance---as long as it isnt to die IN quite yet......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sails