Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2015, 13:20   #61
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: My misguided faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Old Cal's is the best response and the best attitude was expressed by rwidman's previous comment. Many years ago on Lake Michigan, we were flying our spinnaker on our previous 25 footer in lumpy seas and were passed less than 20 feet by a 45-50 foot Searay motoring at 30 knots on autopilot. We were forced to jibe the boat immediately to avoid the full impact of the wake/damage. We immediately called the CG on the VHF and reported the incident. He was arrested at the next port(20 miles) by the local marine patrol before being handed over to the CG. We did not have to testify. Others have mentioned physical retribution. This is a bad idea. In today's world, you may encounter a person/group who has the ability to negatively and irreversibly change your life forever. Unless cornered with no options, let the authorities handle it. . . unless your last name happens to be Schwarzenegger . . . he always wins. . . "Hasta la vista, baby!"
http://youtu.be/Q73gUUr8Zlw

Not very "Viking" of you!

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 14:35   #62

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Not very "Viking" of you!

Min,
I can assure you, my raping, pillaging and plundering days are well behind me. The only place they exist, now, are in my dreams! Good luck and good dreaming. Captain Rognvald, Viking in remission. P.S. If you like to read, try Egil's Saga--one of the great Norse Sagas that records one of the great Viking chieftan's life from warrior to old age.
Old 31-01-2015, 22:03   #63

Quote:
Oh no, I've done it several times. I have small children aboard, extreme waking events are very dangerous and could even be fatal. I view it as an attack on my family, and they are fortunate I choose to use paintballs instead of more lethal options, as they are doing to me. Happy to go to jail for it. Wouldn't do it to the minor waker, we all know the ones that deserve it. I'd be stoked if they called the cops, and I'd probably sue them for damages.
You'd be happy to be convicted for a felony? spend time in jail? Lose a lot of income, and have your reputation permanently ruined?

It could also seriously reduce your overseas cruising options.

And the wake makers who supposedly were laughing at the discomfort they caused you - well if you went to jail, they'd be PISSING THEMSELVES, wouldn't they?

But I have to say, I don't believe you.

I'd suggest it would make more sense if, instead of reaching for your paintball gun, you reached for the helm and steered the boat into or away from the waves, instead of taking them side on. A 60 foot boat should handle very large wakes with ease, head or stern on.

Also you should have enough awareness of the traffic to know when it's going to happen and should warn your kids to sit down.

Best "revenge" option, if you have free hands, is to videotape the incident capturing their registration and any injury or damage caused, and forward it to the authorities.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:34   #64

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Agreed Jim; but if you had had your 60' loa boat with more than 15' of beam waked at 20 feet of range by a 40+ foot powerboat doing over twenty knots, while you have children visible on deck, with audible laughter from the flybridge as they pass, resulting in bleeding crying children, you too might wish for a bigger paddle to whack that bigger jet ski with. You might even go get yourself one, like I did. It's surprisingly common in the narrow island passes around here. They can't pass you at range due to the narrowness of the pass, and they refuse to throttle down, as the number of boats they must pass means they would essentially have to go slow the whole time, which is NOT why they bought a fast powerboat. So they just ignore the waking laws, put the hammer down, and laugh about it. Anything else would require them to admit that the entire philosophy of that sort of boat is unsustainable and unfriendly, not to mention the damage waking does to the environment.
You apparently missed my post #32 so I suggest you go back and read it. I would like your comment on it.

As the captain, you are responsible for the safety of your boat and passengers. Don't try to blame this on someone else. Sure the other boater was inconsiderate but its your responsibility to plan on wakes and waves and keep your passengers safe.

A boat the size of yours, handled by a competent captain should be able to handle wakes from other boats. Also you should be aware of your surroundings and warn people to hang on when you do see a wake coming.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:53   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Min,
I can assure you, my raping, pillaging and plundering days are well behind me. The only place they exist, now, are in my dreams! Good luck and good dreaming. Captain Rognvald, Viking in remission. P.S. If you like to read, try Egil's Saga--one of the great Norse Sagas that records one of the great Viking chieftan's life from warrior to old age.
Just so you don't lose your touch... Take 2 or three mints next time you're paying for dinner... With a menacing sneer...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:49   #66

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Just so you don't lose your touch... Take 2 or three mints next time you're paying for dinner... With a menacing sneer...
Happy,
Are you talking about those little blue ones? One seems to work quite well!
Good luck, good sailing . . . love those mints! Captain Rognvald with a smile.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:55   #67
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
You apparently missed my post #32 so I suggest you go back and read it. I would like your comment on it.

As the captain, you are responsible for the safety of your boat and passengers. Don't try to blame this on someone else. Sure the other boater was inconsiderate but its your responsibility to plan on wakes and waves and keep your passengers safe.

A boat the size of yours, handled by a competent captain should be able to handle wakes from other boats. Also you should be aware of your surroundings and warn people to hang on when you do see a wake coming.

Perhaps you are unaware of conditions in the islands around here; I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Suffice it to say, there are hundreds of miles of very narrow passes between islands. Tidal range is high and currents are strong. This means that very often when boats pass each other, they do so at close range and with no option to turn into the wake, as that would put you on the beach. Some power boaters, when faced with moving slowly down a long narrow pass for miles due to traffic, will just say screw it and put the hammer down, waking every boat they pass all the way down the channel. I have taken pictures and reported to the CG more than once, with little interest on their part. These are the people who are committing a dangerous crime. I simply try to deter them.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:56   #68
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post

Nice! Gotta keep yer hand in...

Old 01-02-2015, 08:36   #69

Quote:
Perhaps you are unaware of conditions in the islands around here; I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Suffice it to say, there are hundreds of miles of very narrow passes between islands. Tidal range is high and currents are strong. This means that very often when boats pass each other, they do so at close range and with no option to turn into the wake, as that would put you on the beach. Some power boaters, when faced with moving slowly down a long narrow pass for miles due to traffic, will just say screw it and put the hammer down, waking every boat they pass all the way down the channel. I have taken pictures and reported to the CG more than once, with little interest on their part. These are the people who are committing a dangerous crime. I simply try to deter them.
That doesn't change anything you are still responsible for your boat and passengers. I don't need a "benefit of the doubt".

If your boat is not capable of being operated safely in the conditions you describe, you shouldn't operate it there. Retaliation will get you nowhere.

Please give your take on my post regarding the wake from the freighter.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:57   #70
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

If your boat is not capable of being operated safely in the conditions you describe, you shouldn't operate it there.

Precisely what I would say to the skippers of some of these powerboats, if they had the balls to answer the VHF when you call them as you see them bearing down on you in the middle of the channel.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:18   #71

Quote:
Precisely what I would say to the skippers of some of these powerboats, if they had the balls to answer the VHF when you call them as you see them bearing down on you in the middle of the channel.
And if a freighter or tanker wakes you?
Old 01-02-2015, 12:24   #72

Quote:
Perhaps you are unaware of conditions in the islands around here; I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Suffice it to say, there are hundreds of miles of very narrow passes between islands. Tidal range is high and currents are strong. This means that very often when boats pass each other, they do so at close range and with no option to turn into the wake, as that would put you on the beach.
Again, I simply don't believe you. The wake from the other boat is moving toward you, away from the boat that caused it. You don't even have to go into the same water the boat making the wake was in, to ride out it's waves.

Anyway, maybe take the waves from behind. Could be good practise for when you end up in jail...
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:31   #73

Quote:
And if a freighter or tanker wakes you?
Yeah... it's a tough conversation.

My basic instinct says "don't take your boat and crew out in water that it cant handle... including wakes." as well as "manage your crew to avoid mishaps from boat motion".
An ocean kayaker will gladly brave the ocean conditions but whine like hell when he gets waked.
Pay attention to what's going on around you.. including fast moving boats headed your way.
Having said all that, common courtesy should also prevail.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, many powerboaters have attempted to be nice by slowing to a crawl just as they were nearing my slow moving boat... The result? A huge bow wave which occurs when a fast moving boat comes to a near halt.... washing up to my boat and causing a big roll.
They should have just kept going fast and created a 1 ft wave at best... and given me the finger if I was one of the whiners that didn't like it!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 13:00   #74

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

It really doesn't matter whether the driver of the boat throwing the wake it doing it because he thinks it's fun [being an "ignoranus"--stupid + a**le], or is simply unaware.

If the waking practice is common amongst the power boats in his area, maybe minaret could organize getting the existing law enforced. Set up a speed trap. Photograph the vessels involved, with the time/date function on in the camera. It could be a fun money maker for the police, and word would get out fast in the MB community. It might make the problem go away for a while.

In the meantime, to protect the girls, he should be teaching them about "one hand for the boat", not saying he hasn't tried, but kids forget and need reminding.. It is always a good deal to encourage situational awareness in one's kids.

I think the paintballing's a poor idea, although I have some sympathy with the concept--sort of like branding thieves in the middle ages. It's just, to me, the possible consequences are too dire, a too big downside.

Ann
Old 01-02-2015, 13:05   #75

Boat: LAGOON 400

the best is to put donation into local environmentalist club, and ask them to fight against boat wakes that are eroding river coast.

if they are for real, you will get your money worth
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote