Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2015, 13:11   #76

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: My misguided faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
It really doesn't matter whether the driver of the boat throwing the wake it doing it because he thinks it's fun [being an "ignoranus"--stupid + a**le], or is simply unaware................
I cant seem to get anyone to answer this:

I was going down the Savannah River and a large Freighter was coming up the river. We passed. I got as far away as I could and turned into the wake but my bow dipped,, water came over it and everything not tied down go rearranged. I warned my wife and told her to hang on to the boat and the puppy. We survived and nothing was broken but does anyone here think or actually believe an ocean going freighter is going to slow down to avoid waking a recreational boat?
Old 01-02-2015, 13:12   #77

Quote:
In the meantime, to protect the girls, he should be teaching them about "one hand for the boat", not saying he hasn't tried, but kids forget and need reminding.. It is always a good deal to encourage situational awareness in one's kids.
We sail/motor out of the Oakland Estuary, and on weekends the wakes are constant even though it's wide enough to NOT require anyone to slow down.

This means, simply, that we experience wakes. Which can be experienced whether the passageway is wide or narrow, same sh*t.

We started in a Catalina 22, moved up to a 25 and now our 34.

Same old rockin'.

So, if someone is down below, or abovedecks but not watching out, our regimen is simple: "ROLLS!" is called a bit before the wake hits. Loud enough so anyone can hear it. Evasive action is sometimes taken, and I find paralleling the wake when thrown by a OVERTAKING vessel is best. When they're coming at us, I just hold course, 'cuz the wakes hit at an angle just where they would when you are sailing upwind. I don't get the guys who turn into those, it only makes it WORSE.

Try it sometime and see if those wake techniques work for you.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 13:21   #78

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

does anyone here think or actually believe an ocean going freighter is going to slow down to avoid waking a recreational boat?
Of course not but : it should go slower at all times, when changing oil and not disposing to sea, same logic. Degradation of environment is comparable.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 13:38   #79

and when the wind blows hard creating seas, how shall we protect the shoreline? prey?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 13:45   #80

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

You don't know what waking is all about unless you have been in Burrard Inlet and specifically English Bay during the Nanaimo to Vancouver bathtub race. There are CCG, Harbour Patrol and RCMP cutters tearing around the area after the large go fasters looking for drunks and other dangerous drivers. Very entertaining if you are on the sea wall watching, not so much if you are in a small sailboat trying to stay alive.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 14:02   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
Of course not but : it should go slower at all times, when changing oil and not disposing to sea, same logic. Degradation of environment is comparable.
I suspect the government has given them a speed limit in the river. I suspect its lower as they approach the city. These boats are being operated by local licensed pilots.
Old 01-02-2015, 19:30   #82
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:

I was going down the Savannah River and a large Freighter was coming up the river. We passed. I got as far away as I could and turned into the wake but my bow dipped,, water came over it and everything not tied down go rearranged. I warned my wife and told her to hang on to the boat and the puppy. We survived and nothing was broken but does anyone here think or actually believe an ocean going freighter is going to slow down to avoid waking a recreational boat?

There are (obviously) no "ocean going freighters" in the narrow island passes of which I speak. Closest thing is the local ferries, which go relatively slow in the passes so as to avoid waking other traffic and to prevent erosion damage to the islands.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 20:25   #83

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

CG in Grand Haven a few years back famously waked the entire fleet of antique wooden boats tied up along the wall for a sanctioned event. The CG was reported to be responding to a call but many fine boats were dashed on the wall and badly damaged.

We are large enough that most wakes cause little action. The excepthion is tied to a designated wall along a busy waterway. Deliberately rude is not acceptable though and there is normally plenty of lake. I can't see why some of these guys seem to want the water you are currently borrowing. Aside from wakes, we see all manner of stupid operation, usually power boats and no particular size stands out. Since one only needs money to own & drive a power boat & fast is the normal mode, that's who is doing it. Statistics show this with sailboats contributing less than 6% of the total mishaps.

Fun fact: On an inland lake in Northern Michigan, a well known PGA golfer had a nice cottage. PWCs, we refer to them as IQ reducers, buzzed his dock often. Sheriff could/would do nothing. He set up a driving T on the end of his dock. Always say "fore" before you swing. This was many years ago but we still find balls when the water is very still. Perhaps a large piece of green carpet & a golf club might get the message delivered.

Here is a wake coming last summer. no where to run or hide. These guys are at least limited to 10 knots in the waterway. Even so, that's a big pile of water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7246 St Marys River.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	405.0 KB
ID:	96403  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:58   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
There are (obviously) no "ocean going freighters" in the narrow island passes of which I speak. Closest thing is the local ferries, which go relatively slow in the passes so as to avoid waking other traffic and to prevent erosion damage to the islands.
I' sorry, my logic seems to be passing right over your head. Disregard the freighter comment.

My point is, there are some wake or wave conditions that are not caused by inconsiderate boaters". It is your duty as captain to be prepared for whatever happens on the water and to protect your boat and passengers. Not by violence to other boaters but by safe and prudent operation of your boat.

You cannot prohibit wakes and its pointless to try. And it's stupid (and illegal) to point a gun of any sort at another boat or boater.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:36   #85

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
My point is, there are some wake or wave conditions that are not caused by inconsiderate boaters". It is your duty as captain to be prepared for whatever happens on the water and to protect your boat and passengers. Not by violence to other boaters but by safe and prudent operation of your boat.

You cannot prohibit wakes and its pointless to try. And it's stupid (and illegal) to point a gun of any sort at another boat or boater.
Amen!

A wake is a phenomenon of the water like so many others, and something you have to be ready for. That's the first thing to think about -- because it's a matter of seamanship and safety -- and not where the wake comes from, which is only a secondary issue. It's just like collision avoidance in that sense -- it's unimportant who is right and wrong; the first and main thing is to avoid collisions.

I have spent a lifetime on the water and can't recall even once ever being annoyed at anyone (much less driven to criminal acts) by anyone's wake.

If there are too many power boats buzzing around an anchorage, I move to another one, just like if the water is too rough, or the wind is coming from the wrong direction. The sea is big, and why would I want to be in an anchorage full of power boaters under way, even considerate ones?

If the whole problem is really because the other boater is an idiot -- and I don't exclude that such things happen from time time -- then keep in mind the old wise adage:

"Never wrestle with a pig. You will get dirty. And the pig likes it."

It is a folly to try to change the behavior of a broad mass of power boaters, even if they are deeply wrong. Treat it like a rolly anchorage or lee shore and move.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:49   #86
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
to be in an anchorage full of power boaters under way, even considerate ones
an anchorage ... under way, hmmm, the english winter is rotting your brains Dockhead
Old 02-02-2015, 08:05   #87

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
an anchorage ... under way, hmmm, the english winter is rotting your brains Dockhead
LOL

But that is exactly what the OP is describing -- being at anchor with power boaters buzzing about, dodging amongst the anchored boats . . . .
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:17   #88

Boat: Elco Marinette 27'

The power boaters & jet ski riders are inconsiderate...& I own a power boat!

Seriously, I have a single-screw antique Elco with a rudder (yes, a power boat w a rudder!) & I am constantly tossed around by wakes made by inconsiderate boaters. My boat is only 27' & in 3' swells, I'm on a roller coaster. Anything above 3' & I'm holding on for dear life & getting wet. Oh, & I can only go 7 knots Max which is 4 in high seas!

I do my best to stay away from them but it's frustrating. I'm docked on the Chesapeake & there's a lot of boating activity during season.

So, I hear your pain. And you would think that others would at least respect an old wooden vessel but it's all the same, except maybe after they tossed me around, they feel bad & wave! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Starside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 23:01   #89

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starside View Post
The power boaters & jet ski riders are inconsiderate...& I own a power boat!

Seriously, I have a single-screw antique Elco with a rudder (yes, a power boat w a rudder!) & I am constantly tossed around by wakes made by inconsiderate boaters. My boat is only 27' & in 3' swells, I'm on a roller coaster. Anything above 3' & I'm holding on for dear life & getting wet. Oh, & I can only go 7 knots Max which is 4 in high seas!

I do my best to stay away from them but it's frustrating. I'm docked on the Chesapeake & there's a lot of boating activity during season.

So, I hear your pain. And you would think that others would at least respect an old wooden vessel but it's all the same, except maybe after they tossed me around, they feel bad & wave! :-)

Perhaps you could re-locate to somewhere timber boats are more respected, or make up a big "no wake" sign to deploy.....

Ann
Old 15-02-2015, 08:33   #90

Boat: Elco Marinette 27'

Quote:
Perhaps you could re-locate to somewhere timber boats are more respected, or make up a big "no wake" sign to deploy.....

Ann

I think there will ways be those who run rampant, no matter where you are located. It's just the nature of boating.

Starside is offline   Reply With Quote