Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2021, 09:10   #1

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'
My Own Backyard

The plan was to sail 12ish miles to Point Roberts, WA to help a friend with hydraulic problems. We couldn't drive there because you have enter Canada, drive 20 miles and then re-enter the US. (This was before the border reopened).

Piece of cake, right?
Not so much.

When we left our harbor we had opposing wind and tides making for a steep chop, but hey, this is our home ground and we've done it hundreds of times. So we just plowed ahead. Now our boat is very stable, not tender at all but I noticed we were both braced and things that had never slid before were talking a walk.

But heck, we're half way there.

When the dog got sick twice I took notice. She's been living aboard for six year, traveled more than 1000 miles and never been sick, not once.

But look, I can see Pt Roberts right there, it'd be further to go back home.

When I heard the crash from below I knew that mistakes had been made and didn't care to make any new ones. So we fell off and headed away toward the San Juan Islands. Things immediately smoothed out.

Long story short, we were able to approach Pt. Roberts with the wind at our backs and made it safely an hour later.

Lessons learned? I won't assume that because it's close or I've done it many times before it will be a snap. The wickedest waters in the world can be just outside my harbor and have some respect. Complacency is my enemy.

Oh and the crash? We didn't tie anything down as we would for "a real trip" so my washing machine tumbled and this lesson cost a $500 repair.

Complacency costs money, possibly more. Lesson learnedClick image for larger version

Name:	20210707_125436.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	243804
Old 15-08-2021, 18:09   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: My Own Backyard

Sorry about the washing machine, redhead. We had friends with a power yacht that had a sofa along one side of the cabin....the people who owned it have circumnavigated in a sailboat. Their sofa was "stabilized with a seat belt width strop that went from one pad eye around the sofa and to another pad eye on the other side. As you learned, if you don't want it to go flying around, you gotta secure it. Best place for dog is on the downhill side on the cabin sole, aft of the mast: stable, least motion.

Good on you for being cheerful about it now, and helping others.

Ann
Old 16-08-2021, 08:41   #3

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'
Re: My Own Backyard

Thanks Ann. To compound my stupidity we have a strapping system in place for the machine when we go offshore. We just didn't use it.

I'm lucky it wasn't worse - my father always said that if a lesson doesn't cost something you probably won't learn the lesson. Dad was right in this case.