Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2021, 09:32   #1

need a NEW 1 GM10 'EPA' rated engine..

I'm considering re powering an old 1 Gm10 (w pinhole leaks in the block , black smoky exhaust, already 'rebuilt' w oversize piston 1 x ) with a new 'EPA replacement ' 1 GM 10. that new 1 GM10 will save me money because it can use same engine mount bed, same prop shaft, same kanzaki gearbox etc. as the old one. (since i'm in fresh water great lakes, not salt water, the raw water cooling vs. fresh water on a diesel doesn't matter much.) (i'd love to have a freshwater cooled diesel but the sizes to repower w a fresh water cooled diesel won't fit in the boat.) i' m also thinking the new engine needs a new wiring harness, new engine mounts and new B panel w a tach and hour meter. note this original OEM 1GM10 engine had a professional 'rebuild in 09' when it had about 100 hours on it . it was in salt water from 03 to 09 and 2 previous owners let salt water sit in the engine cooling passages without an end of season clean out. in 09 the rebuild was professional injector work (undescribed as to 'just what' was done then...)

all advice, thoughts and comments welcome... (but please don't tell me to 'go electric...' or get an outboard. spouse cannot raise/ lower outboards due to severe arthritis and absolutely forbids an outboard...)

i've heard the betas are 'drop in's for the 1 GM 10 s . does anyone have experience w this ??
kaisardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 18:36   #2

Re: need a NEW 1 GM10 'EPA' rated engine..

I don’t think betas are a drop in.
Check out the Nanni. According to the site. The N2.10. Fits easily without mods. ???
Hinkmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 23:50   #3

Beta will supply most of their engines with the same “footprint” as your original engine but it ain’t a free service, its an option so check the cost first. Beta are really good to deal with but they have a system of protected distributorship that leaves a lot to be desired.
I’ve not heard of the 1GM “EPA replacement”
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2021, 14:26   #4

i called mack boring the yanmar east coast distributor. they told me of the 1Gm10 'EPA replacement ' program. only a yanmar dealer can order the EPA 1GM10 replacement, and the dealer has to certify the old block is being destroyed not reused. ( don't ask me why -- ) Some engine shops offer 'rebuilt' yan 1 GM 10 s-- for about $4000 plus install fee. if i can get a bobtail new EPA 1 GM replacement , i surely don't want a rebuilt ( with bored out cylinder , oversize piston, still possibly has pinhole crack in the block issues... )

there are no beta dealers anywhere near me. the Beta cost to modify the exhaust thru the transom, engine beds and the like , when added to bobtail cost , may be excessive. as to nanni, i went on the nanni web site and could get absolutely NO info as to who the local closest dealers are.. i'd like to hear from anyone who's repowered w a nanni or beta diesel, of any size ?
Old 18-08-2021, 16:16   #5

I’m fascinated by the 1GM EPA engine, particularly the “destroy the old block” bit.
You guys really get the rough end of the pineapple with rebuild charges, for way less than $4,000 I can get a full rebuild on a 3YM yanmar in Brisbane, not a backyarder doing a “rings, bearings,valve grind” quicky ..... a proper overhaul with warranty in a reputable workshop. And thats in Australian dollars[emoji844]
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2021, 17:30   #6

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

The "destroy the old block" is probably for the dealer to get a gift (taxpayer funded) from the EPA. Like the automobile buy back program where the recyclers had to destroy all the old engines.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2021, 18:23   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
I’m fascinated by the 1GM EPA engine, particularly the “destroy the old block” bit.
You guys really get the rough end of the pineapple with rebuild charges, for way less than $4,000 I can get a full rebuild on a 3YM yanmar in Brisbane, not a backyarder doing a “rings, bearings,valve grind” quicky ..... a proper overhaul with warranty in a reputable workshop. And thats in Australian dollars[emoji844]

Especially when you consider yanmar parts prices in the USA are near 1/2 of what you would pay In Aus.
They seem to ask more for used engines as well in the USA compared to Aus & NZ.
I tried to nudge OP towards ysm8 which are much better rebuild candidates IMO ( cheap aftermarket good parts ) but he's not buying it.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2021, 19:01   #8
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Especially when you consider yanmar parts prices in the USA are near 1/2 of what you would pay In Aus.
They seem to ask more for used engines as well in the USA compared to Aus & NZ.
I tried to nudge OP towards ysm8 which are much better rebuild candidates IMO ( cheap aftermarket good parts ) but he's not buying it.
I don't know but I've told.....

US prices don't usually include various state taxes etc whereas Aussie prices always include GST thus making a direct comparison more difficult.

However the QM parts I got from the USA were way cheaper than Aussie Yanmar prices even after taking into account a significant freight component.

Best pricing for Y series parts seems to some guy in NZ.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2021, 20:20   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I don't know but I've told.....

US prices don't usually include various state taxes etc whereas Aussie prices always include GST thus making a direct comparison more difficult.

However the QM parts I got from the USA were way cheaper than Aussie Yanmar prices even after taking into account a significant freight component.

Best pricing for Y series parts seems to some guy in NZ.

I wasn't even trying to sell OP the parts, just looking at it from the point of view of YSM8 being a wet sleeve engine & more substantial gearbox than 1GM10 IIRC.

Good point, forgot about state tax though Wottie but my genuine yanmar ( before I wised up ) injection pump parts were 1/2 NZ price with Ca. state tax.
Old 19-08-2021, 03:06   #10
Marine Service Provider

Io be fair I'm not sure about footprint or wether horizontal cylinder wud fit in Op's boat anyway so can understand his wanting to stay with same donk.
Shaft length maybe another issue.
Old 21-08-2021, 09:59   #11

i'm sure the parts costs of yans in NZ or AUS are less because the purchase cost of the 1GM10 in the far east is about $2200 but it won't clear US customs w/o EPA certification AND there's some unknown amount of customs duty and some unknown interminable delay even if i were tempted to order from overseas , which i'm not. . (I suppose the 'EPA certification' by my US government adds the extra $1500 to a bobtail cost, eh ?) trust me, i have looked at every small diesel engine on the market. the cost of doing a YM yanmar, a beta, a nanni or any thing other than a 1GM10 'EPA drop in' adds about $3000 minimum to the cost . the new yanmar Y series 2 cylinder is NOT a drop in replacement for the 1 cyl 1GM10 and is also way too big for my existing boat structure. (yanmar's distributor sent me a nice color drawing comparing the 1 cyl 1GM10 $3700 dimensions to the new 2 cyl YM15 --there is NO WAY the 2 cyl $8700 model would fit. ) and i have no wish to buy a new prop, propshaft, propeller, gearbox,($1700) upsized rawwater thru hull, and shift lever to make some other small diesel engine fit when my existing 1GM10's parts still work perfectly. it's already painful enough to have to buy a new 1GM10 EPA replacement bobtail at $3700 or so... plus some assorted parts like engine mounts.. exhaust elbow ..
Old 21-08-2021, 17:43   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisardog View Post
i'm sure the parts costs of yans in NZ or AUS are less because the purchase cost of the 1GM10 in the far east is about $2200 but it won't clear US customs w/o EPA certification AND there's some unknown amount of customs duty and some unknown interminable delay even if i were tempted to order from overseas , which i'm not. . (I suppose the 'EPA certification' by my US government adds the extra $1500 to a bobtail cost, eh ?) trust me, i have looked at every small diesel engine on the market. the cost of doing a YM yanmar, a beta, a nanni or any thing other than a 1GM10 'EPA drop in' adds about $3000 minimum to the cost . the new yanmar Y series 2 cylinder is NOT a drop in replacement for the 1 cyl 1GM10 and is also way too big for my existing boat structure. (yanmar's distributor sent me a nice color drawing comparing the 1 cyl 1GM10 $3700 dimensions to the new 2 cyl YM15 --there is NO WAY the 2 cyl $8700 model would fit. ) and i have no wish to buy a new prop, propshaft, propeller, gearbox,($1700) upsized rawwater thru hull, and shift lever to make some other small diesel engine fit when my existing 1GM10's parts still work perfectly. it's already painful enough to have to buy a new 1GM10 EPA replacement bobtail at $3700 or so... plus some assorted parts like engine mounts.. exhaust elbow ..

No somehow you have the wrong end of the stick here.
The parts prices are 1/2 as much in the USA as we pay in NZ & Aus.
What I was surprised is that used engines seem to go for more in the USA despite the fact that parts are cheaper in yr country. but admittedly I am only looking at Ebay, not craigslist.
Look at YSM8 parts prices https://www.ebay.com/itm/16475481620...MAAOSwX~heeGbp

Here is a vid of one

You can get the engine dimensions from the manual. I'd be surprised if you couldnt get one in good running order complete with gearbox for a boat buck or a lot less off craiglist or a boat wrecker.I suspect they would fit except for maybe shaft length.

I bought an injection pump off a bloke in Florida who was just trashing his complete because he wanted to convert to electric.
With a bit of research you could do your replacement a lot cheaper.
But you can pay more if you wish

Tags
engine