Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2009, 06:54   #16

Boat: Sceptre 41
Celestial Sailor:
Thanx for sharing this with us. Excellent tale. You have lots of heart. Get the plumbing working right and then go out and sail. Here is a quote that I got off the Lat 38 site:
Money is not the only thing one has to spend; the other thing is life. The difference is that you never know how much is in the bank, or what your balance is. Your life is your inheritance. As soon as you realize this, you start trying to spend your life wisely." - From "Advice to the Sealorn" by Herb Payson.
You sticking to your dream is correct spending.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 11:45   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I am amazed at the positive feedback I have received. I was very reluctant to share this stuff but realized I was not only helping others hold onto the dream but helping myself do the same as well. I have been through 2 divorces. 2 major motorcycle accidents (assumed dead the first one) and 2 heart attacks. I have been to South East Asia 8 times. Been within ear shot of 2 militant raids on army compounds and rode out 1 coup and watched a lot of friends from my past wither up and die while working at jobs they detested saving for the dream that would never happen. As many have pointed out, we live our dreams day to day. A wiser person than I taught me that there is no place but here and no time but now. Here and now is where the magic happens. He also told me..."If someone else tells you the way, it's not it".
Just working on "Trust" from day to day is living the dream. It opens my life to all sorts of changes providing I remain open minded and share anything I know with others.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 11:48   #18
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I think your signature says it all.......enuff said.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 12:05   #19

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
..."If someone else tells you the way, it's not it".
Just working on "Trust" from day to day is living the dream. It opens my life to all sorts of changes providing I remain open minded and share anything I know with others.
Two thoughts that will mill over and over in my head for weeks to come. Thank you.
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 12:25   #20

Celestial, that little Rawson will take you whereever you want to go and wont give you another heart attack raising the main! Fair winds...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 01:19   #21

Boat: Atkin Ingrid 38' Ketch-0p;/(Beautiful freak of) Faiaoahe
Martin,
That was really nice. Rest assured that Faiaoahe will be well taken care of and loved. And she won't sit in Reeds bay and get black and green. Got that alternator working and am getting ready to go for a cruise soon. Kind of an obsession now, and thanks to you I have the vessek to do it. I am sure that Trust will be good for you and I know how you like working on boats--just leave yourself enough time to sail. Thanks again and good luck and if we make it Santa Cruz we'll pop in for a visit. and you are right. Faiaoahe is a handful to singlehand. Did not have fun docking solo. Take care my brother.
scottscott
seasonednovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 02:33   #22

Boat: 36' Magellan "Steady Beat"
Great story, great contributions, for sure destined to be quoted long into the future.

I realized a while back that the idea of heaven and hell are not destinations. Instead, they describe the life you live, here and now. De facto, you do have control over your destiny.

BWS
BlueWaterSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2009, 22:20   #23

Boat: Skookum 53'
Great Post Celestialsailor, and words of inspiration to us all, I know your story spoke to my heart!
captain58sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 17:01   #24

Finally getting settled in to this "cooler weather". Sleeping like a baby on board and starting to prioritize the projects. My first is re-coring the decks. That should be fun and a good thread under maintenance...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 06-06-2009, 20:55   #25

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
WOW

Thanks for sharing your beautiful stories. My father, who also had health issues, sailed around the world at 70. Never give up!

Thanks again,
Erika

PS -I am a nurse at the Heart and Vascular Institute I see miracles everyday, don't give up on your health either. I will be praying for your Complete healing.

great quote that I love:

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London (1876 - 1916), Jack London's Tales of Adventure
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 12:41   #26

Re: Never Give Up!

As of this morning finally crossed over into Mexico, with my friend, SkiprJohn four years from when it all fell apart.
My recommendation to anyone wanting to cruise is...never lose site of the dream and never bite off more than you can chew. I just witnessed a guy in his 60's retired with a newer Valiant, give up.
You do not need fancy electronics or a boat too large for you. Do it a step at a time and never, never give up no matter what. When the chips are down, well meaning friends will tell you to stop. They mean well and once your head tells you it's a foolish dream, you will be scurrying to find the positive. Remember...it's in your heart. May all your dreams be realized. For me this thread has been completed. Now all I have are horizons...Celestialsailor
Old 31-10-2013, 12:57   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Well done !
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 13:01   #28

We might still be here in La Paz when you show up, but wait in Turtle Bay for that cyclone to pass man!
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 13:08   #29
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

Thanks for sharing. After reading you post it occurred to me that I don't really have a dream, at least not a well focused one. Maybe I should work on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
They become alive when we work on them and in return they nurture us back. This is something I feel most landlubbers will never understand.
Slow down now. I had a 1989 Jeep Cherokee that was part of the family.
Old 31-10-2013, 13:14   #30
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I'm so happy to see you're out here now Be sure to come over for a drink and a laugh whenever you find yourself near to us (Colon, Panama) !

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote