Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2018, 09:15   #1

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.
Never sea sick but always land sickness

Just got back from a charter in the Grenadines.
A big storm in the Atlantic pushed big northely swells al the way the Grenadines.
I am fortunate as not to be prone to seasickness. I get my sea legs fairly fast.
But after 7 days on a rocking boat, boy to I feel dizzy.
This last for 3 to 4 days.
My energy level is just flat low, my brain seems to want everything to be moving.
I don't mind the feeling, except that it's almost impossible for me to concentrate and work. If I was still on vacation I would simply just be a big couch potato for a week.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 09:37   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Never sea sick but always land sickness

I spent a month on a boat, then returned to shore and walked down the docks (on land) like a drunken sailor (I don't drink). The weaving walk is part of being a sailor.

The "Land Sickness" is just another form of motion sickness, and will pass.

If you have trouble sleeping, get one of those noise machines (or find a recording on youtube, etc.) that makes the sound of the ocean. I enjoy those sounds. It may help your brain relate to the sensations. At work, listen to them on headphones and let everyone know you miss the ocean so much...
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 09:53   #3

I have no trouble sleeping.
In fact I think I could sleep all day.
Hardest thing is sitting in a sales meeting listening to the usual blablabla of sales managers telling us how to perform. Wow!! I just feel like it's all bull...
But hey, I was out sailing one of the best place in the Caribbeans, so....
I will enjoy this land sickness as a reminder of a great week, with no corporate bull.
Old 14-03-2018, 10:14   #4

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

I love it! After being out, I miss being out So feeling the rocking when I'm sitting in a quiet room or even better, in bed trying to sleep, reminds me i'll be back out soon! I get sad when I can't feel the boat after a few days on land....
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 10:23   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I love it! After being out, I miss being out So feeling the rocking when I'm sitting in a quiet room or even better, in bed trying to sleep, reminds me i'll be back out soon! I get sad when I can't feel the boat after a few days on land....
I feel the same way.
What depresses me is that as an account manager, upon my return, I have trouble believing that my job is important. It seems all I do is work hard to sell stuff that is not necessary.
In return I get money to spend on the same stuff somebody doing the same job as I do try and convince me I need.
Sailing always brings me back to basics. Shelter, food, loved ones.
Landsickness makes me wish I was back on the boat living these basics of life.
Not sending a sales forecast to some bean counter asking me to predict the futur of sales.
Old 14-03-2018, 18:28   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Flagman, the inner ear part of the "land sickness" can be treated with whatever you prefer against sea sickness.

The more often you make the transition from land to boat motion and back, the easier it becomes for your brain. It learns that it has to get input from both environments, and only lets you throw up when you have to. That said, I use Stugeron, cinnarizine HCl, when we get the motion that bothers my body the most. And for me, it has very little side effect: a little drowsy for about 1/2 hr. Use whatever you have to. Feeling sleepy is part of your land sickness, the same as it is part of some people's seasickness.

Proper medication will relieve the symptoms; however, existential malaise, well that's a whole different kettle of fish. Maybe you're in a transition phase prior to a major life change.... Be well.

Ann
Old 15-03-2018, 04:52   #7

Thanks for the info. But I prefer to not use medication.
It goes away on it's own.

And yes I might just be at a transition stage in my life.
Getting older I realize that I do not want to have certain regrets.
Old 15-03-2018, 05:02   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Never sea sick but always land sickness

Only ever suffer this after a couple of continious weeks at sea or more.. once after some 40 days at sea I fell over as I tried to make my way up some steps at the dinghy dock trying to compensate for the 'roll'..
Had to stay seated for 10mins before I could unsteadily make my way to clear in.. Not nice..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 05:28   #9

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagman101 View Post
What depresses me is that as an account manager, upon my return, I have trouble believing that my job is important. It seems all I do is work hard to sell stuff that is not necessary.
In return I get money to spend on the same stuff somebody doing the

Well, your job allowed you to afford the sailing.

You also have to remember that everything gets old after a while.

You should just be happy now that you have found something you really enjoy and can look forward to doing whenever possible

When I moved to the Gulf Coast (Pensacola, FL) back in the day, I thought I'd never want to leave there.

The water was Caribbean Blue/ Green with beautiful beaches.

I didn't live on my boat(s) (Beach Cats), but I did have an apartment on the water with the boats setup and tied down just above the high water mark

We sailed or raced about 9 months out of the year practically every weekend and sometimes during the week. We covered a large area sailing because the boats were so fast

Usually after spending a day or so racing, or a few days cruising (up here) the rolling will stop after I sleep, but it is enjoyable to feel the motion for a few hours afterward.......
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 05:44   #10

Boat: Valiant 40

I get dizzy or rather unsteady after any extended period at sea, but even after being out 30 days it only lasts about maybe half an hour at most.

Most entertaining was walking down the middle of the main dock at Rodney Bay Marina on St.Lucia after 2800 miles in big swells. Dock is probably 20’ wide and I seriously thought I was going swimming a few times lol.
Old 15-03-2018, 06:12   #11

Boat: Hunter 340, 1999, 34'

Mal de debarquement.

Not much research has been put into it, probably for lack of funding because there aren't enough sailors to make for a market of high enough potential drug volume to interest the pharmaceuticals manufacturers or enough tax revenue, graft and patronage opportunities to get the government's attention. There are competing theories about causes, most of them emphasizing either ear canal fluid and the nervous system's detection of its motion, or interpretations of sensation by the brain.

A Google search will turn up instructions for yoga-like exercises said to help. Sometimes they do, according to people I know. Others say they're a waste of time. You'd have to try them for yourself, I suppose.

Making sure dietary protein levels are good and healthy, and drinking plenty of water, seems to help me and one other person I know who gets it worse than I. In my case it passes in a week or two. In hers it takes a month or two, and it keeps coming back on occasion.

Bottom line is no one knows how to cure mal de debarquement, or so much as what it actually is. Maybe it's not even something to be considered an ailment, just an effect to be lived with if you sail.
Attikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 08:38   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I get dizzy or rather unsteady after any extended period at sea, but even after being out 30 days it only lasts about maybe half an hour at most.

Most entertaining was walking down the middle of the main dock at Rodney Bay Marina on St.Lucia after 2800 miles in big swells. Dock is probably 20’ wide and I seriously thought I was going swimming a few times lol.
I can picture (imagine) that. LOL

I know that feeling. I felt the same after 2,500 nonstop miles on the Pacific.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 09:30   #13

Boat: Colegate 26

I'm prone to motion sickness (boats, roller coasters, etc), and my wife is not. But when we got home from a recent week long trip on a boat she had land sickness and I did not. It was pretty funny for me to watch her sway as she walked down a straight sidewalk
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 09:42   #14

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I don't know I've had it that extreme. Sea legs somewhat give you a gyroscopic body. A little wobbling on shore is not unusual. Maybe during a walk to your car.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 12:15   #15

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Year's ago, i crewed on a new motor boat, built in Singapore, we sailed nonstop to California, via a great circle route, taking 60 day's, was a bit wobbly at the end of the voyage for a couple of day's. caught a lot of tuna and flying fish.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote