Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 02:28   #61

Boat: 1990 Irwin 43 CC
Re: Newbie Mistake in 20 mph Winds

This is a fairly old thread, but I wanted to pitch in with 2 points and 0.02c.
1- If you are wondering weather you should reef, you should reef.
2- Jibing is an emergency maneuver. Sort of like locking the wheels on a car on order to come to a stop.

Unless the winds are very light, or I am racing, I don't jibe. Especially on bigger boats, the amount of stress that is induced on the shackles and blocks by the sudden stop can lead to failure later on.
Some people say that you can reduce the violence of the jibe significantly by steering your boat in a S during the jibe.
waterdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:21   #62

Boat: Privilege 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdancer View Post
Jibing is an emergency maneuver. Sort of like locking the wheels on a car on order to come to a stop.
What nonsense. You are referring to a crash gybe beloved by racing sailors, which is totally unseamanlike and dangerous to the rigging.

However, if you tighten the mainsheets so that the boom is fore and aft, you can balance the boat very easily dead downwind for as long as you like, and then allow the boom to move over to the other side in a controlled manner. This is a very safe manoeuvre and easy to complete.
Old 06-08-2011, 16:25   #63

Boat: 1990 Irwin 43 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
What nonsense. You are referring to a crash gybe beloved by racing sailors, which is totally unseamanlike and dangerous to the rigging.

However, if you tighten the mainsheets so that the boom is fore and aft, you can balance the boat very easily dead downwind for as long as you like, and then allow the boom to move over to the other side in a controlled manner. This is a very safe manoeuvre and easy to complete.
True, but it depends on the boat. Perhaps I am to protective. I have a 18 ft boom and end-boom sheeting. Going Downwind, I have to crank down a lot of line on the 4-to-1 purchase in order to get the boom in, and even then, the jibe is can be violent. I find it much easier to tack, unless you have no room.
waterdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:58   #64

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdancer View Post
2- Jibing is an emergency maneuver. Sort of like locking the wheels on a car on order to come to a stop.
Probably a good comparison, as in both; the way you steer during the manuver makes a big difference in how safe and effective it is. And either one can cause a crash if fumbled. Or in bad conditions, (icy car, high winds sail).
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:52   #65

Boat: Seafarer 26
I don't mind a jib at all. Of course my boom is only 10 foot. But a controlled jibe seems just as easy as a take.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:16   #66

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

If the wind is blowing 20+ a controlled jibe has to be done very carefully because it is difficult/impossible to avoid having the wind catch the backside of the sail while there is still a lot of slack in the main sheet allowing the boom to rocket across and break something. The boat is usually rolling around if the wind is blowing hard which makes it nearly impossible to carefully adjust the sheet as you come through the wind. BUT, at that point you should have reefed long ago, making the consequences of screwing it up exponentially less. Jibing is a normal, essential sailing maneuver. When on a run, to head up and come about every time you want to get on the other side of the wind is silly stuff.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote