Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2010, 01:21   #16

Boat: '92' 2006' Custom build oak/teak 25mt loa ketch - NOVA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
A hair-raising story. Glad your boat's ok.

I think a 75 or 85 pound anchor is far too small for a 90 foot gulet. Just a thought. I've done a lot of anchoring in the Gulf of Gokova and never had any problem with the holding. It's all sand without any sea grass I ever saw. I think you might want to focus attention on your ground tackle.
Hi Dockhead
What you have stated is true - if I had a 90' gulet , my yacht (not a gulet) is 25mt loa 22mt lod or 72' 47ton light ship well within the holding capability of a 85lb CQR or Delta with 120' 12mm galv chain rode (12mt water using 7-1 LOA ration).
The entire Bodrom Peninsular, Black Is, Kos etc is all grass, deep and greasy. It also swallowed my prized $400 Police shades one evening during a bar crawl by tender when my OB fouled a net but thats another story...
watchkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 01:53   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchkeeper View Post
Hi Dockhead
What you have stated is true - if I had a 90' gulet , my yacht (not a gulet) is 25mt loa 22mt lod or 72' 47ton light ship well within the holding capability of a 85lb CQR or Delta with 120' 12mm galv chain rode (12mt water using 7-1 LOA ration).
The entire Bodrom Peninsular, Black Is, Kos etc is all grass, deep and greasy. It also swallowed my prized $400 Police shades one evening during a bar crawl by tender when my OB fouled a net but thats another story...
I don't know; in my humble opinion your ground tackle is entirely inadequate to the job.

Rocna recommend a 70 kilo (155 pounds) anchor for a boat your size. If I were you, I would consider going up one size up from their recommendation and in no case would I go for anything smaller.

My little ship is 54 feet LOA and 22 tons light ship, less than half the mass of yours. I will be using a 55kg anchor (121 pounds) and 100 meters of G40 12mm chain. That is on a boat less than half the light ship displacement of yours.

And these are last generation anchors (Rocna, Manson, Spade), which have far better holding, kilo for kilo, than last generation anchors like CQR or Delta. Delta's work somewhat and sometimes (our old anchor), but CQR's are awful; I would donate it to Neptune if I were you.

If you are anchored in 12 meters of water, then you've got at least 14 meters between your anchor roller and the bottom. A 7:1 scope would require 98 meters of chain out, not 120' (38 meters) like you have. If you let out your entire 38 meters of chain, you've got scope of only less than 3:1 scope, not nearly enough. You probably don't need 7:1 out in deep water and calm weather; I think 5:1 is plenty if you have a decent anchor (see above). But you will want enough chain on board for worse conditions. I guess you would want 120 meters or so; on a 47 ton ship you should not have trim issues or notice the weight.

Your boat sounds interesting -- a 72' Bodrum-built wooden ketch, not a gulet? By all means post some photos. I bet she's a beauty.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 04:25   #18

Dockhead

You seem to have the unquie ability of reading what isn't written, my yacht was not built in Bodrom nor do I wish to sound a pratt but I've been a consultant, engineer, yachtie and builder of yachts and super yacht both motor and sail for a long time. I you feel the need to be picky. quibble over someone else's bizzzzness and their abilities to render their own judgements then enter politics a career awaits you....and sir, you will never ever be me...you're to tall
Old 04-06-2010, 10:59   #19

Boat: Sundance 23
Hey Watchkeeper, please do post some pics. Your yacht sounds awesome.
inSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 20:40   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by inSanity View Post
Hey Watchkeeper, please do post some pics. Your yacht sounds awesome.
Well' she's special to me, as to awesome...no more so than any other privately owned hole in the ocean that we keep pouring money into to ensure it never gets filled.
There are some pics I posted a while back, I'll get some more up.

Cheers