Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 13:21   #16

Re: Respect ALL Cold Fronts

"blue sky" squalls are spooky. In Two Years Before the Mast Richard Henry Dana says the worst weather he saw (including rounding Cape Horn twice) was off of Southern California in crystal clear weather when the wind just slammed them out of nowhere. No identifiable clouds, no change in swell direction/strength.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 13:32   #17

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Time to watch "White Squall" again?
Old 09-08-2011, 13:45   #18

Boat: Hunter Cherubini 25'

We were in between squall lines and the wind was so unpredictable...it was coming from one direction, then change, and come from the complete opposite way. Made me think how easily a waterspout could develop. The "calm before the storm" was definitely the most spooky thing. I should have taken pictures but I was a little freaked out about what was happening so quickly. Lesson learned yesterday that's for sure.
BareFtGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 14:56   #19

Boat: Finnsailer 38

We were well anchored up the Sassafras River in anticipation of a cold front with predicted gusts up to 40 knots when I saw a white curtain coming across the water at us. I just managed to run to the bow when it hit. It was like being sprayed in the face with a fire hose and I couldn't open my eyes. Had to crawl around on deck. We dragged our first anchor and managed to hold when I got a second anchor out. It ripped our bimini top's stanchions right out of the deck. Later we helped someone find his Avon dinghy complete with 9.9 HP outboard that was ashore in a tree. A meteorologist on a nearby boat thinks we were hit by a tornado. Wind speed was definitely stronger than in Hurricane Bob. Fresh Pond CG station a few miles away reported over 80 knots of wind. Yes, you never know what you'll get with a cold front.
Old 09-08-2011, 15:18   #20

Boat: PETERSON 44
My Avon with a 4 horse went kite on me on the Severn. I looked back and there is the dink peering over the rails. Perfect form just 3 feet higher then it should have been. I m just looking at it trying to make sense of how it got there. Then reality set in it flipped went kersplunk. 30 seconds later it's back flying again then back in the water sunny side up.Think that was 50 knots. So 70 to 80 would be about right to stick one in a tree. It appears or I'm dunce I can't edit a post using iPad? Sorry
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 21:36   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Actually Amber you probably did the right thing. If a monohull points directly into the wind it tends to wander, sailing up and pulling on the anchor one way and then another. You want it slightly on one side so it does not continually jerk on the anchor. Two anchors during a gale are always best, but you did what you had to do. I have breached a small boat in a micro burst here in Utah, so it happens to everyone. Good on you for getting the sails down and the anchor in.
Sebray, I work on a android tab at work sometimes. The editing system just does not seem to work. It is very frustrating.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:49   #22

Boat: Seafarer 26
I live one the west coast of Florida. Always check the weather from multiple sources then use your eyeballs too. We know how bad the forecasts are.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 19:16   #23

That's what I will do for sure next time...check the doppler radar, because the morning was going along pretty normal for this time of year but if I had looked into the larger scope of things...I would have seen the rotation of storms coming across the gulf. I happy that we got a lesson out of it...if it wasn't a fun one to learn. LoL! Of course...that was the leading cold front to these past two days of rain. Duh! <sigh>
Old 10-08-2011, 19:34   #24

Boat: Seafarer 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BareFtGrl
That's what I will do for sure next time...check the doppler radar, because the morning was going along pretty normal for this time of year but if I had looked into the larger scope of things...I would have seen the rotation of storms coming across the gulf. I happy that we got a lesson out of it...if it wasn't a fun one to learn. LoL! Of course...that was the leading cold front to these past two days of rain. Duh! <sigh>
Radar will show you the big stuff coming but I have seen the afternoon showers with nothing on radar. You will get good at seeing the signs.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 20:36   #25

Boat: Explorer 45
Send a message via Skype™ to Brazil
I hope this does not discourage folks from using fronts to they advantage. I prefer 40 kt downwind than 25 on the nose. Fronts are your friend
Brazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 17:50   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

sailing prefrontals in a heavy boat rocks. is an excellent way to make progress. winds on nose sukk---hurt boat and the crew.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 18:05   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
sailing prefrontals in a heavy boat rocks. is an excellent way to make progress. winds on nose sukk---hurt boat and the crew.
Zee,

I want to learn so much so fast! Capt. Dennis (who's been mentoring us) says so too. I can't help it! We have this 25ft. boat and my hubby and I are already working towards liveaboard status. Buuuuuttt... I know we have so much still to learn..that's why I'm here. I tell ya, honestly, if I could take a few months off and fly out your way, I'd be there in a heartbeat to have you teach me everything. You have no idea how much I value what input I get here. I grew up on the ocean's edge and now it's time that I heed the call to become a part of the life she brings. I was really scared when that squall came through and pushed us over pretty hard...and we got our mainsail down but we did it in reverse...we put our jib away first (cause we didn't know the correct order) but we learned and when it comes up again...we'll get it right. So...I want to know what to do next time. Funny thing is...there was a bigger boat about a half mile further out...sailing along so fast..out running all those nasty little squalls and I noticed their main and mizzen were down...but I didn't understand it until I got back home and started reading. We can't wait to get the bigger boat and make it our home and get rid of the dirt under our feet...Any lesson learned is a good lesson so please take me under your wing and I will be the willing apprentice. You are, after all, where I want to much to be.
Amber
Old 12-08-2011, 18:09   #28

Oh! And...since our daughter, and Jerry Garcia, were born on the same day as you...well...maybe I'm biased...but I love my Aug. 1st Leo's!
Old 12-08-2011, 18:36   #29
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

lol 25 ft boats almost scare me--tried to sink one once--was a gas-- but they are to tender to really sail prefrontals-- those have to be worked up to...and heavy boats are best for the job, i feel. you are in fla--i will eventually get there-- fla is fun--is one of the 2 thun der storm centers i have known, mazatlan being just ahead of fla--tampa to be specific.
will be fun to meet ye.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 18:43   #30

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by BareFtGrl View Post
yes, we've only had our boat just 2 months now
The Hunter 25 is a great little boat. You'll have a lot of fun with it. I've had one for 32 years. Once you get her set up for reefing and get a little more experience you'll get comfortable sailing through those squalls instead of anchoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BareFtGrl View Post
How come we were slightly askew to our anchor line and taking waves more broadside because I couldn't get the bow to point right into the wind? And...what can I do to correct that?
Amber
Any time you anchor in a current the wind will hold the boat downwind from the anchor but boat will line up with the current. It may make for an uncomfortable ride as the wind-driven seas will make you roll more--and the Hunter 25 rolls easily. There's nothing you can do about that.

It usually isn't a problem except when you're anchored in a tidal current long enough for the current to reverse. The Hunter's swept back fin keel (on the 3' draft model) will sometimes hook the anchor line. You'll be lying beam to the wind with the anchor line leading off the back of the keel. I learned to prevent that by attaching a weight to the anchor line and sending it down about 5 feet. That way the keel swings above the anchor line and doesn't get caught.

Inspect the rudder shaft carefully. If it's rusty near the waterline the rudder is compromised. The rudder shaft is a thin-wall stainless steel tube filled with a dense foam. The foam keeps the tube walls from collapsing but if the wall rusts through the foam provides no strength. I lost a rudder in the Straits of Florida during a race to Cuba. I sailed back to Key West by trimming my sails and dragging a bucket and built a temporary rudder to get me home. That rudder is still on the boat.

The Hunter 25 will lie ahull with her beam to the seas. It's difficult to get her going under main alone. As soon as you sheet in the main she weathercocks into the wind. The trick is to harden the mainsheet gently while steering gently off the wind. As you gather steerageway you can bring in the mainsheet more until she's trimmed properly. Once you get moving you can sail with just the main, but I found she handled better with just the jib. I put reef points in my jib and as the wind increased I went from full main, full jib to reefed main, full jib; no main, full jib; no main, reefed jib.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote