Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2008, 17:08   #61

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41
I grew up sailing in la. & ms. Running aground was never a big deal because of silt or sand bottom. A year ago I purchased a 30' with a 5-9 draft and started making plans 2 sail 2 new orleans. I lost the boat in middle keys 2 a "grounding inicident". I had all new charts and did a good amount of reasearch before we left. I learned a few things after the fact. THE WATER AROUND THE KEYS IS SHALLOWER THAN YOUR CHARTS SAY.IN MY EXPERIANCE PRIOR 2 THIS, MY GULF COAST CHARTS ALWAYS SEEMED TO B ON LOW SIDE OF ACTUAL DEPTHS, AND THE KEYS ARE NOT BARRIER ISLANDS (SANDBARS), WHAT SAND BEACHES THAT R THERE ARE MAN MADE. THE KEYS R A CORAL (ROCK) REEF. IT DOES NOT MIX WELL WITH FIBERGLASS.
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 13:45   #62

Boat: Tashiba 40
The cap'n and I are distinguished members of the Bottom Dwellers club. If you'd like a humorous account of our initiation rites into this non-exclusive club you can read my account "Hitting Rock Bottom" at A First Mate's Rules of The Road That was written a few years ago and of course we've kept up ". It looked like we'd had a knock down. I'll save that for volume II of the travails (not travels) of Agur's Wish.
Mary
Agur's Wish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 23:03   #63

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
I've run aground only twice. The first time I was out sailing with a lady friend, and the wind died. As we motored toward Toronto Island, she saw some people having a beach party and thought it would be fun to join. I told her we couldn't go in too close as the water shoaled very gently and we'd go aground. Well, after about 15 minutes of nagging, including point out the Tanzer 22 sitting right up to the beach, I told her ok, on one condition. We get stuck, she gets us off. She readily agreed and we motored in at dead slow. Sure enough about 200 yds off shore, we bottomed out. And were well and truely stuck.

So I told her to pay out the rode while I rowed out with the anchor. Once I had the hook set I told her to start winching it in. After a while she asked if I was going to come back and help, I said no, I had to make sure the anchor was staying put.

Anyway She was a good strong Russian girl, so eventually we got loose. That was when I told her the Tanzer was a center board boat and was floating in 18 inches of water.

The second time was near Kingston Ontario, west a bit to the 3 brothers islands and I brought her into the lee of the island so we could fish and swim. Terri and I jumped over board, and took the anchor onto the beach. Then Ian jumped over and went for a swim. He decided to pull the boat in a bit closer. No problem. So we end up swimming, did a beach BBQ and had a laff. Scrubbed the bottom, did some fishing, a good time had by all. Until it was time to leave. With all 4 of us aboard we had dug a nice rut for the keel. So I go over the side to push. No joy. Ian comes over the side, we both push. Still no joy. Anyway, Terri is at the helm and gets the bright idea to have Ians' lady friend, who was quite stout, move from side to side and put her weight over the side by hanging on to the shrouds. That did the trick.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 17:18   #64

Boat: Hughs 38
Re: Running aground

I'm pretty sure I'm about to be grounded. I had to pull into a shallow marina to escape an I'll timed trip. Now I'm told that the storm filled in the entrance to the marina. They have a tug that "blows the sand out" To 6 feet. I'm 5.9 draft.

I've asked the harbor guy to let me know when this blow happens so I can try and get out quickly before it gets filled again.

I'm in lake Huron heading for sarnia. I hope I don't have to use these techniques but it's been fun reading.
sedentary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 17:19   #65

Boat: Hughs 38

Oh. Should I go at it hard or slow? I would guess slow?
sedentary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 17:52   #66

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

I don't see what boat you are on in your profile, but assuming a mono, heel it over before you go out. Get some chubby friends in the marina to stand by your shrouds, hang water jugs or a dinghy ( possibly with water in it) off your boom which you will have run out over your beam and against the shrouds, wait for a good wind and sheet in tight, etc.
If you're sure it's just sand you'll be running over, and you're pretty confident you won't hit a hump or anything, go at it fast. You'll hear a whisper as your keel drags through it. I've passed a few shoals like this. Dragging your keel will however stir up sand which may or may not cause additional wear to your water pump and whatever other pieces of your motor the sand gets to.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 21:04   #67

Boat: Which one?

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/o...1576146543.gif

Yep. Sand moves a lot. What used to be a deep pass and a fishing pier is now a beach with a boardwalk.
DaveyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 15:34   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy Dolce Vita View Post
There are only two types of sailers .

those that have run aground & those that will. it's only a mater of time . with a 7'6"+ draft we find the bottom quit often .
I prefer, 'there are only two types of categories;

Those that get paid and those that dont.

As far as what happens next in the result of a grounding that was not planned, or resulted die to pushy race owners or anything else.

The latter just buys out of the problem the former will be found in Walmart.
Sheemgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 16:17   #69

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheemgal View Post
I prefer, 'there are only two types of categories;

Those that get paid and those that dont.

As far as what happens next in the result of a grounding that was not planned, or resulted die to pushy race owners or anything else.

The latter just buys out of the problem the former will be found in Walmart.

There are only two types of people, those that put everything into two categories and those that don't.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 17:49   #70

Boat: Catalina 387

There are only 10 types of people. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

In so cal, I I was aground, I'd likely be on rocks. So I try real hard not to do that.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 18:34   #71

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
There are only two types of people, those that put everything into two categories and those that don't.
There are three types of people:

1. Those that share everything they know
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 18:44   #72

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
There are three types of people:

1. Those that share everything they know

Brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 02-06-2015, 16:54   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
There is something remarkably deficient in seamanship to make a habit out of running aground.

Either you are incapable or keeping a running fix and reading a chart…….or …you enjoy the Russian roulette of blindly sailing in uncharted waters.

Professional mariners are taught to prepare their charts and index themselves within a safe zone. When they screw up, as in the case of an Exxon Valdez, it is not a laughing matter as the consequences can be dire.

Why do some cruisers consider running aground almost like some “right of passage”?
Ran into a self righteous jerk in a bar in Norfolk who was taking his boat south on the ICW. He had the same attitude as you spouting off about never having run aground and those that did were idiots who didn't know how to navigate. I was with a friend that I was helping who was also taking his boat south. When I talked with my friend after he'd gotten to Miami, he said he'd run into the guy again after he'd gotten to FLA. The guy was no longer claiming to never have run aground and and had lost the know it all attitude about navigating. Until you have sailed in thin water with shifting sand bars, and missing nav. aids don't be so self righteous.

Always have an anchor ready to walk or row out to kedge off and/or hold your position should the engine quit.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 14:05   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Ran into a self righteous jerk in a bar in Norfolk who was taking his boat south on the ICW. He had the same attitude as you spouting off about never having run aground and those that did were idiots who didn't know how to navigate. I was with a friend that I was helping who was also taking his boat south. When I talked with my friend after he'd gotten to Miami, he said he'd run into the guy again after he'd gotten to FLA. The guy was no longer claiming to never have run aground and and had lost the know it all attitude about navigating. Until you have sailed in thin water with shifting sand bars, and missing nav. aids don't be so self righteous.

Always have an anchor ready to walk or row out to kedge off and/or hold your position should the engine quit.

A further piece of advice, born of my experience and a small scar on my right buttock: Make sure if you wade out with a kedge that you remove your cell phone from your hip pocket. 😳

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
PangurBan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 18:33   #75

Boat: Morgan 43

Ran aground in the east side of St Thomas. There is a marina, where Budget Marine is, I don't know the name but it is in Benner Bay, that IN THE CHANNEL the depth is 5,5 ft ....No signs, lack information in the last Virgin Island guide also. Fortunately, put reverse 3000 rpm and release
I couldn't anchor at the ouside of the marina too.
ricorrea2002 is offline   Reply With Quote