Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2015, 21:06   #181

Re: Sailing or Cheating/Motorsailing?

If I can make a knot through the water and a cleen tack I am pretty happy. Less than that I skull. I do have a small diesel auxiliary in reserve for safety. I have burned less than 5gal since I bought her 8 months ago and most of that was in the beginning as I was learning how to sail. I am not good enough to sail into a slip or dock yet but routinely sail on and off my mooring and anchor. I figure if there is not enough wind to sail at least there is not much to skull against. Since I have not yet given myself over to the sea completely and keeppa landluber life I am sure there will be times I have to motor back so I can make it to work on Monday or perhaps call in sick, what could I claim to have, the sea flu or maybe the boatpox...
farm sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 22:56   #182

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

We went out last Sunday in the Santa Cruz 27 without a motor. Waves were breaking almost all the way across the harbor entrance in the big sets. Going out we had a good breeze, and made it out fine, but the power boat behind us got completely airborne going over the next wave. Coming back in, the wind died just outside the harbor. We slatted for 15 minutes and the wind came in light in the opposite direction. We waited for a lull in the waves and got in OK, but a breaking set came in just behind us.

The SC 27 is a fine sailing boat, but if we had had a motor we would have used it.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 02:36   #183

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Sailing or Cheating/Motorsailing?

I grew up sailing without an engine. I sure like having one now though.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 04:46   #184
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Curious,
Those that say the almost never motor, how do you keep your batteries up?
Large Solar?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 04:55   #185

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Sailing or Cheating/Motorsailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Curious,
Large Solar?

Heh. They plug back in.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 05:17   #186

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Curious,
Large Solar?
Run a noisy, stinky generator for hours? (especially in crowded anchorages)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 05:44   #187

Boat: 48' steel cutter

My thoughts have evolved as I've gotten older. Now I'm happy to motorsail anytime my speed is under 4 knots, when I can use some battery charging anyway. This fits a gunkholing schedule perfectly. Out on the ocean with plenty of wind (usually) I'm about 90% sails-only.
Travis McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 06:04   #188
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I wasn't trying got be cute, one way I assume is to forego most electric "stuff" no auto pilot, no refrigeration etc.

I thought I could get by with enough Solar, but am being told you can't, that it takes more hours to get a bank back full than there hours of usable daylight. If that's true then you have to have something to supplement Solar, or just buy lots of batteries, frequently.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 07:56   #189

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Run a noisy, stinky generator for hours? (especially in crowded anchorages)
I prefer solar too, but realistically, I can barely hear our genset from our cockpit and can't hear our generator when it's running from about 50' away from our boat, and how much "stinky" pollution can a genset cause when it's basically a 5hp engine burning mere cups of fuel per hour? Unless you're anchored directly downwind and very close to our boat, you'd never be able to tell whether it is running or not. The same is true of most small boat gensets. Of course there are times when it's inappropriate or rude to run one, but most of the time you won't even be aware even if you're our closest neighbor in the anchorage.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 08:08   #190

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
I prefer solar too, but realistically, I can barely hear our genset from our cockpit and can't hear our generator when it's running from about 50' away from our boat, and how much "stinky" pollution can a genset cause when it's basically a 5hp engine burning mere cups of fuel per hour? Unless you're anchored directly downwind and very close to our boat, you'd never be able to tell whether it is running or not. The same is true of most small boat gensets. Of course there are times when it's inappropriate or rude to run one, but most of the time you won't even be aware even if you're our closest neighbor in the anchorage.
A great deal depends on what kind of genset and how it is installed.

A light duty genset -- one or two cylinders, high speed (3000 or 3600 RPM) can be a very unpleasant banshee, even in a sound enclosure. It's not just the volume of sound, but the shrill tone, which can be very disturbing.

A heavy duty low speed genset (3 or 4 cylinders, 1500 or 1800 RPM) is an entirely different kettle of fish. Ours, a 6.5kW Kohler with 1000cc, 3 cylinder Yanmar, is installed in a sound enclosure which itself is inside a sound-proofed engine room. It is completely inaudible from outside the boat -- you will never know it is running. There's not even a water sound because it has a water separator and below the waterline water discharge. It is barely audible even inside the boat -- and sounds much like dishwasher running, not disturbing at all.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 15:27   #191

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post

At 5HP, I assume it is a built in diesel genset. No real problem with those, it's those portable 1-2KVA petrol thingies that people sit out in the open to top up their batteries that are annoying.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 15:59   #192

Quote:
Curious,
Large Solar?
just one 60 watt pannel and one rv battery is more than enough for me right now. I have minimal electrical demands, just VHF, flasher ( depth sounder ) and nav lights. if I get in a pinch I am able to hand crank my engine if I run the battery down
farm sail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating, motor, sail, sailing