Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2017, 15:43   #61
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Should have lost my mast today, I am so stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek_Guy View Post
Pelagic

I would also reiterate that the OP was extremely upset and concerned. He discovered what can happen with a boat.

But I don't think you need to bury him further. Especially since he worked his way through the issues. I totally disagree at chiding him about a cavalier attitude. I didn't see anything close to that. Quite the opposite.

I would venture to say that his few hours out taught him many times more information than a checklist.

I believe it is a right of passage. I think everyone of us has had one or more of those ah ha moments when we discover that there's more to boating than we understood. There is no point of beating ourselves raw. Discover the new information. Scare ourselves. BUT then put it in perspective and move on.
Hi Geek Guy....I agree with some of your comments, but differ with others.

I agree and have No wish to chide the OP any more as my intent was to help him to focus on proactive solutions that would make his formative years as a new captain more organized and positive.

I disagree that his stressful outing would make him a better captain unless it evolves into a commitment to safety checklists and various maintenance and seamanship books that are being suggested.

Experience teaches us WHAT NOT TO DO
Study and training teaches us to survive those negative experiences

As Ann rightly suggested, think ahead of what possibly can go wrong and formulate a general plan of action that teaches yourself and crew on how to manage that type of problem.

It is what we career captains call..
Becoming a professional pessimist!

I admire the OP for sharing his embarrassing day trip and opening himself up to constructive criticism.

That helps us all to become better sailors and captains.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 16:05   #62

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Hi Geek Guy....I agree with some of your comments, but differ with others.

I agree and have No wish to chide the OP any more as my intent was to help him to focus on proactive solutions that would make his formative years as a new captain more organized and positive.

I disagree that his stressful outing would make him a better captain unless it evolves into a commitment to safety checklists and various maintenance and seamanship books that are being suggested.

Experience teaches us WHAT NOT TO DO
Study and training teaches us to survive those negative experiences

As Ann rightly suggested, think ahead of what possibly can go wrong and formulate a general plan of action that teaches yourself and crew on how to manage that type of problem.

It is what we career captains call..
Becoming a professional pessimist!

I admire the OP for sharing his embarrassing day trip and opening himself up to constructive criticism.

That helps us all to become better sailors and captains.
I love that "'professional pessimist" hate to admit it but that is how I run my life!! And happier because of it, some want to label this line of thought as negative but I don't see it that way. Some run on "she'll be right mate"or 100% faith, me , I'd rather look at the potential issues and plan for them, if they don't happen great.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 07:20   #63

Boat: ISLAND PACKET SP CRUISER

Glad you managed to get back to base without any injuries or serious boat damage.

First Mate and I took to sailing late in life-mid 50's.

As we both had mobility problems we decided dinghy sailing, although perhaps desirable and benificial were not suitable for us.

We took RYA sailing courses, CC and DS, buying into a syndicate 27 foot yacht after DS to get time sailing.

We subsequently bought a 33 foot yacht, spent about half the purchase price getting her how we wanted her, and then fell in love with an Island Packet 350.

We sold the 33 footer-at great financial disadvantage- bought the IP and spent six years averaging 1500NM each year in her.

Changed last year to a pilot house model and managed to keep the average going.

We have had many fraught moments-some self inflicted, some gear failures, some due to others stupidity.

What comes out of this is that-IMHO-miles at sea is the best way to learn and gain experience.

The RYA courses were great-I went to Coastal Skipper later-and we both learned a great deal from them.

Now we are in a position to live aboard 4 or 5 months each year we are becoming travellers by water rather than purist sailors.

Exploring and enjoying time on passage suits us fine. We are too old and with our minor disabilities too weak to undertake serious passages, 40 hours is enough for us in one passage.

I am never shy in asking others for advice and the benifit of their experience.

Remember, the man who never made a mistake never made anything..................
rotrax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lost, mast