Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2009, 13:25   #16

Location: wherever the boat is---from central amer to canada....so far...
Boat: defever trawler 41-nomad

a few mos ago, i saw some knucklehead launching his 25 ft fishing boat at the local launch ramp. he did a marvellous job backing the boat into the water, jumped out of his truck to untie the bow line, grabbed the bowline AND THEN IT ALL WENT DOWNHILL! he forgot to put the truck in "park" and the truck started rolling back into the water so he let go of the bowline and ran for the truck. he was a little slow, however, and didn't quite make it. the boat drifted out into the river and the truck sank in 8 ft of water. now, it was time to call AAA. they came right out but, after looking over the situation, decided that a diver was needed to hook up the tow line to the truck. just about darkness they had the truck back out of the water and the boat recovered. i suppose the truck was in the car lot the next day. all of us at the marina party next door had some damn good entertainment that day!!
defever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 13:56   #17
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
I was in Marco island at. The ramp and a father and son were sitting on a jetski cranking the motor when the jetski blew up like a bomb. Both went flying 10 feet or so in the air. Luckily they landed in water with non life threatening injuries. Gas leak in enclosed space+ spark. Remember lot of flashing lights helicopter,patrol boats,EMT,etc
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 15:07   #18

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
22' center console.
Known ramp.
Done it many times - easy.
Back down to the right spot, stop, back just a tad and tap the brakes and it floats off nicely and the son has the bow line. easy-peasy.
Same as above but it did not come off.
OK, just a little more, nope, OK just a little more - nope.
Got out and saw I forgot to remove transom hold down.
Oh well. Just a little salt water in the rear brakes.
No biggie.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 15:29   #19

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
16' jon.
Very busy ramp with two docks and four slots plus a strong tide rip at 90 deg.
A guy in a 25' +- go fast pulls to the end and his hottie jumps out / yep, I was not the only one to notice. I hoped she made it to the bathroom in time. Stupid me.
Son and I are ready to pull the boat up on the trailer.
She backs the trailer between my rig and the other persons on the other dock (fast!) (good driver).
There is a couple of feet on either side of her trailer now.
The guy drives toward the trailer and is pushed into me while I am silently dumbfounded and speechless (just slow I guess).
About the time of impact I reach and grab my son who was still in the boat and heave him up on the dock. - crash, scrraappppeeee.
I told son to "stay", jumped down and quickly pulled my boat up on the trailer while the guy backed up and came on again.
He went faster this time and made the hit but if I had not moved my boat he would have hit it again.
The guy was just like the waiter that wont make eye contact - jerk.
The hottie clips on the bow clip and hops in and off they go.
20 yards out she stops and he jumps off the boat, into the cab and GONE!

I wish I could tell you that something justly happened to them but I can't.
I stopped and spoke to the "law" on the way out and they said they purposely do not tend the ramp in the afternoons. He actually said that.
Though I had used that ramp off and on for years that was the last time I ever used it.
I am afraid of going to jail! No kidding!
I am also afraid of setting a bad example for my son.
My jon comes with a machete and a pistol (yes I am police trained and permitted, yada, yada) but I won't do hand to hand.

Anyway the best I can feel about that is the long gouge in the gel coat from the sharp transom point of the old jon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WW Manatee015.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	506.8 KB
ID:	9460
Old 21-08-2009, 06:33   #20

Boat: Pearson P39Hull#72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
16' jon.
Very busy ramp with two docks and four slots plus a strong tide rip at 90 deg.
A guy in a 25' +- go fast pulls to the end and his hottie jumps out / yep, I was not the only one to notice. I hoped she made it to the bathroom in time. Stupid me.
Son and I are ready to pull the boat up on the trailer.
She backs the trailer between my rig and the other persons on the other dock (fast!) (good driver).
There is a couple of feet on either side of her trailer now.
The guy drives toward the trailer and is pushed into me while I am silently dumbfounded and speechless (just slow I guess).
About the time of impact I reach and grab my son who was still in the boat and heave him up on the dock. - crash, scrraappppeeee.
I told son to "stay", jumped down and quickly pulled my boat up on the trailer while the guy backed up and came on again.
He went faster this time and made the hit but if I had not moved my boat he would have hit it again.
The guy was just like the waiter that wont make eye contact - jerk.
The hottie clips on the bow clip and hops in and off they go.
20 yards out she stops and he jumps off the boat, into the cab and GONE!

I wish I could tell you that something justly happened to them but I can't.
I stopped and spoke to the "law" on the way out and they said they purposely do not tend the ramp in the afternoons. He actually said that.
Though I had used that ramp off and on for years that was the last time I ever used it.
I am afraid of going to jail! No kidding!
I am also afraid of setting a bad example for my son.
My jon comes with a machete and a pistol (yes I am police trained and permitted, yada, yada) but I won't do hand to hand.

Anyway the best I can feel about that is the long gouge in the gel coat from the sharp transom point of the old jon.

Attachment 9460
You can bank on the fact that IF he had the money for the high maint. "Hotty", the "go fast", and the probably brand new tow vehicle (that neither he nor she would be caught dead in W/O that "go-fast" in tow), he had the money to call the repair low-lifes (like us) to come to his mansion where it's all hidden behind a privacy fence and get that gouge repaired the Next Day. The job was done so well You'd never know it happened and he probably Whined until they cut the price some AFTER IT WAS COMPLETED just to get paid. Be thankful You were out of the way before his second attempt...he might have folded Your boat in half.

Folks like him (and his "hotty") give most of the rest of us a real bad name, and we get thoroughly disgusted With Them. Next time, leave the machete & gun behind but confront him (or his ilk) directly, boldly, and watch everyone else pay attention (and silently...or more likely otherwise) be in support of You, the victim. I've seen clowns like him hand a vocal/p'o'ed dude $1,800.oo just to "shut him up", he smiled, it worked (he had probably $300. worth of damage).

With a son in tow, I'd have done as You did, get out of the clown's way and keep Your nasty thoughts to yourself. Better to select a less busy ramp, and spend a little more time on the water with Your Son.
-Mick
captmick39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 16:52   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmick39 View Post
With a son in tow, I'd have done as You did, get out of the clown's way and keep Your nasty thoughts to yourself. Better to select a less busy ramp, and spend a little more time on the water with Your Son.
-Mick
We have had a bit of water under that keel since then.

Name:	WW Dog fish02.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	501.0 KB
ID:	9476

Name:	WW Justin fishing004.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	454.0 KB
ID:	9477

Name:	WW Justin Cobia 32in02.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	483.3 KB
ID:	9478

Name:	WW Taylor fishing002.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	477.8 KB
ID:	9479

Sorry for the thread drift but we did pass a ramp or two on the way back those times.
Old 21-08-2009, 19:34   #22
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I remember as a teenager watching a guy with a Cadillac trying to pull his boat out
it was a launch ramp near Key Biscayne.....the tide was low and the ramp was mossy and slick.....his tires were still spinning as he slid into the water ....trunk deep
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 06:50   #23

Quote:
We have had a bit of water under that keel since then.

Attachment 9476

Attachment 9477

Attachment 9478

Attachment 9479

Sorry for the thread drift but we did pass a ramp or two on the way back those times.
THAT IS a good looking Snook...as for the minute pinfish...here's hoping it was BAIT! Keep up the good work, and keep the camera handy.
Old 22-08-2009, 12:40   #24

Quote:
THAT IS a good looking Snook...as for the minute pinfish...here's hoping it was BAIT! Keep up the good work, and keep the camera handy.
Cobia,
but what the hey.
Old 22-08-2009, 19:48   #25

That Ain't No Steenking Cobia!!!!!

Quote:
Cobia,
but what the hey.
I was referring to the little tiny "bait" looking thing between index finger & thumb...If that's a cobia...Heck I thought they were HATCHED bigger than that!

This little guy stayed out of the water long enough for a couple pics, then got sent back to his momma to do some serious GROWING!
(& yep, that IS a Cobia...just way too small to be a legal keeper)

Nope, that's my next door neighbor, fisherman extrordinaire...me, I lost a 6-7lb Trout (in a tourney) that day. At least we didn't have any "events" at the ramp.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIMG3523.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	9512  
Old 23-08-2009, 05:42   #26

Quote:
I was referring to the little tiny "bait" looking thing between index finger & thumb...If that's a cobia...Heck I thought they were HATCHED bigger than that!

OH.

Brim from the river........Weeki Wachee.