Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2009, 06:20   #211

Feelsgood - Thanks!! The link will work if you edit OUT the "" at the end. Here it is edited: <http://www.mesltd.co.uk/ait250-transponder-class-p-11172.html>. Looks like about $800 with shipping as a guess. For those of us (like me) who don't regularly singlehand it's pricey, but if it saves your life, then it's worth it.

Sure would provide a lot of peace of mind, though. With this I could sail, sleep when I felt like it and KNOW that I'd be seen by a 400 ft. oil tanker at 4 AM?
tanksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:08   #212

Boat: Hedonist 44
Send a message via Skype™ to lenseman
Quote:
Originally Posted by feelsgood View Post
here you are guys this is the site.

http://www.mesltd.co.uk/ait250-trans...72.html:thumb:
The previous link is incorrect and should read as follows:

Marine Electronic Service Ltd - AIS - AIT250 AIS TRANSPONDER SYS (CLASS B)

I hope this helps?

S/Y "Surabaya Girl" - 2DTW3 - Portsmouth UK
lenseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:14   #213

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
AIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenseman View Post
The previous link is incorrect and should read as follows:

Marine Electronic Service Ltd - AIS - AIT250 AIS TRANSPONDER SYS (CLASS B)

I hope this helps?
Sorry guys I am crap on this B&*%~dy computer I just copied the info at the top and sent it . I promis to try harde in the future. Please be patient with me. Regards Pete
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:33   #214

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
As a singlerhandler, I've come upon several crewed boats sailing along with no one in the cockpit. There are numerous reports of near-misses and collisions of crewed boats with no one on watch. Everyone is below!

Wouldn't it be better for someone to maintain a proper watch than have everyone (including the singlehandler) down belowdeck monitoring the AIS/radar?

Instead of depending on an electronic device to protect my life. I, as a singlehandler, live in my cockpit when underway where I can see reallity.
John
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:43   #215

Ok John NOBODY but NOBODY lives in the cockpit all the time they are at sea it just isnt possible. Also please have a look at the site for the AIS transponder and I think you might agree that to be seen by a large ship from a high bridge is better than trying to see a big ship from the surface of the ocean,. also you dont have to watch the AIS all the time they have an alarm.
Regards Pete
Old 05-11-2009, 10:29   #216

Here it is in the U.S. for $669. | Cactus Marine (US) : AIT250 AIS TRANSPONDER SYS (CLASS B) (Digital Yacht AIT250) |

Now, with this, I can go to sleep and 1)Any large commercial vessels will see me and not run into me and 2)the gadget will alarm for me when they are within a certain range? What happens in THEIR cockpit when they "see" me?

If correct, it seems like a real good alternative to an egg timer and/or arriving/traveling feeling exhausted & spacy. Feelsgood ......do you have one and what do you think?
Old 05-11-2009, 10:51   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksalot View Post
Here it is in the U.S. for $669. | Cactus Marine (US) : AIT250 AIS TRANSPONDER SYS (CLASS B) (Digital Yacht AIT250) |

Now, with this, I can go to sleep and 1)Any large commercial vessels will see me and not run into me and 2)the gadget will alarm for me when they are within a certain range? What happens in THEIR cockpit when they "see" me?

If correct, it seems like a real good alternative to an egg timer and/or arriving/traveling feeling exhausted & spacy. Feelsgood ......do you have one and what do you think?
No I dont hav e one YET! but I have soken to a yachtsman who has and he swears by it he said it ws the most important bit kit on his yacht next to his windpilot
Old 05-11-2009, 12:11   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelsgood View Post
Ok John NOBODY but NOBODY lives in the cockpit all the time they are at sea it just isnt possible. Also please have a look at the site for the AIS transponder and I think you might agree that to be seen by a large ship from a high bridge is better than trying to see a big ship from the surface of the ocean,. also you dont have to watch the AIS all the time they have an alarm.
Regards Pete
Please young man, don't presume to know how I managed to cruise for 9 years, singlehanded without an AIS - day and night..
Except for brief trips below, I indeed lived in the cockpit. I only went below when it was safe to do so.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:51   #219

AIS

Dear John as I have obviously upset you I must appoligise it was not my intent and at my age (62) I should have known better.
Sorry Pete
Old 05-11-2009, 13:29   #220

feelsgood,

No harm - No foul.

from a 69 year old
Old 05-11-2009, 13:53   #221

thanks
pete
Old 05-11-2009, 16:11   #222

I'm 64. Are most people on this forum old fogies (fogey's)? What IS a fogey anyway??
On a side note - I'm finding myself in the position of either 1. sailing solo or 2. sailing with "found crew" or 3. Reading about sailing. PERIOD.

As you might be guessing, my wife is NOT a sailor. Solo sailing doesn't sound like fun, but it's probably better than choice #3. Opinions?
Old 05-11-2009, 16:33   #223
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
I just googled fogey and got this:
"Fogey," of course, is, as the Oxford English Dictionary puts it so well, "a disrespectful appellation for a man advanced in life, especially one with antiquated notions; an old-fashioned fellow." The word (also spelled "fogy," by the way) is probably Scottish in origin, but its ultimate roots are a bit uncertain. It's possible that "fogey" is based on an antiquated sense of "foggy," which meant "moss-covered," but my favorite theory traces it to the Scottish word "foggie," meaning a kind of brown bumblebee."
A guess were a bunch of old bumblebees. I thought we were closer to barnacles. That term I understand (as i pick an old bumper out of the water)
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:40   #224

Boat: Blackwatch 19 gaff rig cat
Hi Kanani and thanks. I'm not sure why, but I am still alive. Maybe it's because I broke some sea regs to survive. When I solo, I just turn on several strobes turn the volume up on the VHF and then just go to sleep. I've heard "strobe lights" and expletives several times in my fuzzy brain, but I was up and at it. I think 3 persons is the least number. A couple can be difficult and 4 contientious people is pure joy, especially if at least one likes to good cook. After all, is'nt cruising supposed to be a peasure sometimes? This is my 1st post and I'm a 76 year old sailor.
Capt.Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:11   #225

Hey guys I was talking the other day to another oldie 70 years yooung that sails single handed and he told me that when at sea at night he goes to bed but has an oscilating light (like the police use ) at the top of the mast going all night and has never had a problem. I must say though that an orange revolving light si the signal for an neuclear submarine so mabe they think he is a sub as you wouldnt want to hit one of those. Sounds like a good idea

Tags
singlehanding