Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2018, 03:37   #316

Boat: no boat any more
Re: Singlehanding - Sleeping - Good Idea ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Not just a 3rd world problem.. it happens all over.. Yes.. even in the so called 1st world...
The problem with radar and AIS is its yet another thing that folks put faith in and yet.. just another screen/gadget to obsess over rather than see the reality of what is around them..
I've seen posts claiming they would have sunk without radar and video as proof that without radar they would have hit a light on a rock.. yet in that same video one could see land on the horizon 2 miles away.. despite the claimed poor visibility.
To me that was down to poor/lazy navigation and failure to maintain a proper lookout plain and simple.
Increasing gadgets to my mind is not upskilling.. its down skilling.. kinda like saying mental arithmetic is not needed anymore because everyone's got a smartphone with a calculator.. and learning to spell is not needed because you have spell check.
But hey.. what do I know..
bm61, bm61! as nearly always:
SPOT ON! S p o t o n!!!!!
(but the downskilling is worse ashore: some weeks ago a young female moron walked in front of a car while she was busy texting or something on her smartphone. got killed too.)
Old 23-02-2018, 04:50   #317

Boat: 1969 Rhodes 28'

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
Kanani what is the current draw on a radar set like this ? Makes me wonder if I ought to invest in it while I'm outfitting.

My older Furuno 16xx radar averages 3.5 amps when sweeping, and 1.4 amps when doing a sweep every 5 minutes.
TreblePlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 04:56   #318

Boat: Bristol 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
Now that we are talking seriously of self driving cars, I can't believe a modified form of sensors/software can be very difficult to develop for a large slow moving sailboat in an all but empty vast expanse of ocean where almost all commercial vessels broadcast AIS signals, GPS chart plotters can warn of most stationary hazards etc, etc. Probably the high end boats already have something close. At the moment its likely a matter of $$.
I don't quite know what to say to this. Really? Am I being 'had?'

I see threads on here that imply that some of us no longer have paper charts onboard, and that people are relying on electrons to tell them all about their watery world. One of many problems with this is that paper charts can provide a better sense of what we in the aviation world call 'SA,' or situational awareness.
I can't think of a better way to degrade your awareness of the changing environment around you than to isolate ones' self completely from the decision making process of how to get from A to B, and just let the boat drive you to your fate, whatever that might be.

To paraphrase someone smarter than me, their is no greater safety device on a boat or ship than a well trained and experienced mariner.

I like my radar and my chartplotter, and my autopilot is a great helper. But they serve me. They are not allowed to make decisions. Not on my boat.
Mainebristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 05:21   #319

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Not just a 3rd world problem.. it happens all over.. Yes.. even in the so called 1st world...
The problem with radar and AIS is its yet another thing that folks put faith in and yet.. just another screen/gadget to obsess over rather than see the reality of what is around them..
I've seen posts claiming they would have sunk without radar and video as proof that without radar they would have hit a light on a rock.. yet in that same video one could see land on the horizon 2 miles away.. despite the claimed poor visibility.
To me that was down to poor/lazy navigation and failure to maintain a proper lookout plain and simple.
Increasing gadgets to my mind is not upskilling.. its down skilling.. kinda like saying mental arithmetic is not needed anymore because everyone's got a smartphone with a calculator.. and learning to spell is not needed because you have spell check.
But hey.. what do I know..
I noticed you quoted Markj. I thought he'd left this site, that quote was from 2011. Damn this is an old thread!

I came across the SOC on Tuesday. 52 hours, didn't sleep a wink. Here's the wink ;^)

Side question; what's a second world country?

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 05:30   #320
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Singlehanding - Sleeping - Good Idea ?

Goat.. yes it is an old one.. remember posting there while it had life.. as for 2nd world.
Somewhere folks emigrated to from the 'Old World' aka Europe..???
So the USA, Oz, NZ.. have not a clue.. but could just be the media who started the expression just cant count..
Kinda like the 'Bluewater' term.. no one really knows what it is..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 05:31   #321

Boat: Presto 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
I noticed you quoted Markj. I thought he'd left this site, that quote was from 2011. Damn this is an old thread!

I came across the SOC on Tuesday. 52 hours, didn't sleep a wink. Here's the wink ;^)

Side question; what's a second world country?

goat
Italy, Spain, Portugal, etc..
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 05:36   #322
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabeau View Post
Italy, Spain, Portugal, etc..
Definitely not Spain.. they found a continent for you to live on..
And Portugal discovered Australia on the first ever circumnavigation.. just did not think it was worth a stop..

Old 23-02-2018, 05:41   #323

Boat: Presto 36

Quote:
Definitely not Spain.. they found a continent for you to live on..
I believe that the term second world, now refers to economic and political power.
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 09:03   #324

Again in the interests of accuracy:

The phrase "Second World" originated in the depth of the "Cold War" shortly after the US had been promoted to a "World Power" courtesy of a now exhausted and prostrate British Empire. En cameo the "back story" is this:

You will recall that the U.S., busy solidifying her new geopolitical position by "making the world safe for Democracy" and standing fast against cultural diffusion from the USSR, was then proclaimed, by US sociologists and "political scientists", and to no-one's surprise, to be the "First World".

Those same US sociologists and "political scientists" therefore quite logically and tidily, proclaimed the USSR with her dependencies to be the "Second World", though we rarely used the term because it was "value neutral". And lip service to that concept notwithstanding, we mustn't have that! In the "First World" the legends of the victors in Hitler's War, and the need for political "Gleichgeschaltung", demanded that more opprobrious terms should be used when speaking about the US's principal antagonist and contender for empire. There were innumerable opprobrious terms of which the late-comer "the Evil Empire" seems to me to be too succinct and elegant to have been coined by the man to whom it is ascribed.

The parts of the world that were the focus of this contention for Empire were, with equal logic and tidiness, labelled, by those same sociologists and "political scientists" the "Third World", and that nicely avoided any necessity for overtly admitting that chunk by chunk these parts of the world were targeted for absorption into one empire or the other. A major benefit of these arrangements, for the contenders, was that we, "First World" and "Second World" alike, could then conceal the quest for dominion behind a veil of benevolent support for "nation building".

And jolly good luck to us all :-)!

TP
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 18:18   #325

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

If you're being 'had', it's by your own lack of comprehension - you're mistaking a simple statement of opinion about technological development for some kind of argument in favour of driverless boats. When it comes to sailing I am in fact something of a Luddite - my navigation involves a ships compass that ran out of fluid before I got the boat, a first gen handheld GPS and some charts from the previous century, also acquired with the boat, my (very) late fathers binoculars, and the reliable sense of usually knowing where I am and where I'm going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainebristol View Post
I don't quite know what to say to this. Really? Am I being 'had?'

I see threads on here that imply that some of us no longer have paper charts onboard, and that people are relying on electrons to tell them all about their watery world. One of many problems with this is that paper charts can provide a better sense of what we in the aviation world call 'SA,' or situational awareness.
I can't think of a better way to degrade your awareness of the changing environment around you than to isolate ones' self completely from the decision making process of how to get from A to B, and just let the boat drive you to your fate, whatever that might be.

To paraphrase someone smarter than me, their is no greater safety device on a boat or ship than a well trained and experienced mariner.

I like my radar and my chartplotter, and my autopilot is a great helper. But they serve me. They are not allowed to make decisions. Not on my boat.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 22:44   #326
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Love this kind of video. It will be much busier now in main shipping lanes.

Good for showing where to place boat to be out of major traffic for a sleep.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 23:04   #327
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Love this kind of video. It will be much busier now in main shipping lanes.

Good for showing where to place boat to be out of major traffic for a sleep.

Not that hard to copy grab screenshots of marine traffic density images and display in opencpn
Every little helps

conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 02:53   #328
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Only trouble with these shots is.. they make things look more crowded than they really are.. boats appear on top of each other but in reality you can be between them on your sailboat with one on either side of you and over the horizon in both case's.
Remember going down to Tunisia from Sardinia.. the owner was sweating buckets due to the AIS screen shot showing traffic going over the NE corner of Tunisia.. the reality was there were holes between 5-10nm between ships..
Yes it was showing traffic and ID's.. but it was also piling on the stress for an inexperienced owner.. its not how close they are that should stop you going down for a pee.. its the course they are on.
Also earlier I may have seemed anti radar.. I am not.. for those who have it its a useful tool and it gives comfort as an extra safety feature..
Its the way it is often used and held up as a Holy Grail for safe sailing.. yet so many ships with much more sophisticated systems keep ramming each other all round the world..
Its not what you have.. its how you use it to maintain safe situational awareness.. with your MK1 eyeballs as the supreme tool.

Old 24-02-2018, 03:04   #329
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oh.. and if you think the English Channel is busy now.. you should have seen it back in the 60's, 70's and early 80's before the shipping fleets got slashed..

Old 24-02-2018, 03:33   #330
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:

Remember going down to Tunisia from Sardinia.. the owner was sweating buckets due to the AIS screen shot showing traffic going over the NE corner of Tunisia.. the reality was there were holes between 5-10nm between ships..
Yes it was showing traffic and ID's.. but it was also piling on the stress for an inexperienced owner.. its not how close they are that should stop you going down for a pee.. its the course they are on.
Also earlier I may have seemed anti radar.. I am not.. for those who have it its a useful tool and it gives comfort as an extra safety feature..
Its the way it is often used and held up as a Holy Grail for safe sailing.. yet so many ships with much more sophisticated systems keep ramming each other all round the world..
Its not what you have.. its how you use it to maintain safe situational awareness.. with your MK1 eyeballs as the supreme tool.
I dont do much except coastal. 5-30 miles offshore. I cannot comment on the major waterways much because my experience is limited.

I do know that the times I have gone down, alarms go off. Coastal boaters seem to change course as suits... maybe because of the amount of recreational boaters and the excess of speedboats just marina hopping for drinks or lunch.

I would say in all seriousness, that I did not have a minute gap the other day between large vessels and speedboats heading in my general direction... I just headed offshore and left them all behind... it was crazy...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
singlehanding