Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2017, 02:28   #121

Re: Spectacular Med Mooring Screwup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
And with respect to the ketch you saw -- are you quite sure he was using a stern thruster?? What you describe is a classic sailing ship maneuver -- forgot what it's called -- I've seen it done without any thrusters and even no engine power -- hugely impressive ship handling -- one of the most impressive things I've ever seen.
They had stopped dead when they dropped anchor and then spun around.

I saw a ferry do that maneuver in Panormitis on Simi. Aiming straight at the doc, drop the anchor and then start spinning when they locked off the windlass.
Old 23-07-2017, 02:32   #122

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Like DH ...I normally just do touches with the bow thruster for small corrections when backing up slowly into a slip.

The most when spinning stationary when no room, but I do test continuous operation to confirm reliability
Steering in reverse is another absolutely fantastic use of a bow thruster. It's like having a rudder in the bow.

The "bow rudder" effect is also extremely useful in close quarters when you need to move the stern in one direction but without moving the bow in the opposite direction. Especially helpful on big boats where you may not have much room.

For spinning in place, no thruster is needed, or desirable. Rudder hard over, forward power until the boat starts to turn, then a burst in astern to kill forward motion. The trick is that killing forward motion does not kill the rotation! Repeat as necessary. Pretty basic trick which I guess everyone on here knows. It works better in that direction, where prop walk intensifies the desired rotation, rather than cancelling it out. So for me that's around to starboard.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 02:32   #123

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post

I saw a ferry do that maneuver in Panormitis on Simi. Aiming straight at the doc, drop the anchor and then start spinning when they locked off the windlass.
What's it called? I forgot the name of this maneuver.
Old 23-07-2017, 02:34   #124

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Dockhead kinda beat me to this post. Here's where a bow thruster comes in very handy. When trying to get off a dock, simply turn the wheel all the way as if you're steering full lock towards the dock. Then 2-4 quick bursts of full forward throttle (totally counter intuitive) and 2-4 short bursts with the bow thruster, and you'll find yourself 10-15ft off the dock and parallel to it. Engage forward or reverse, then be on your way.

This method can also be used to parallel park in tight quarters.
I never use the thruster coming into an alongsides berth bow-first, but I always use the thruster, even if only for the briefest second, when coming off an alongsides berth -- using this principle to avoid any scraping along the dock. Only exception is if the wind is blowing me off -- then I let the wind handle it for me
Old 23-07-2017, 02:50   #125
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post

I did this yesterday in Kotor after I dropped my anchor, then realized I wanted to set it in the opposite direction. I used the method outlined above using quick bursts with bowthruster in combination with quick bursts forward thrust with wheel full lock opposite direction.

Didn't know this maneuver had a special name. Spins the boat in place nicely.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 02:58   #126
cruiser

Quote:
I never use the thruster coming into an alongsides berth bow-first, but I always use the thruster, even if only for the briefest second, when coming off an alongsides berth -- using this principle to avoid any scraping along the dock. Only exception is if the wind is blowing me off -- then I let the wind handle it for me
You need to stop the boat first before moving sideways.

Another way to parallel park on a windy day with the wind pushing you away from the dock, is the "Captain Ron" method which actually works quite well and we use it all the time. Had been using it for several years prior to seeing the movie. Even Mrs. Mac has perfected her "Captain Ron" technique. No scrapes but plenty of drama for those ringside.

Old 23-07-2017, 03:44   #127

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You need to stop the boat first before moving sideways.

Another way to parallel park on a windy day with the wind pushing you away from the dock, is the "Captain Ron" method which actually works quite well and we use it all the time. Had been using it for several years prior to seeing the movie. Even Mrs. Mac has perfected her "Captain Ron" technique. No scrapes but plenty of drama for those ringside.

The "Captain Ron" method is exactly what I do when coming bows-first into an alongside berth. It works excellently even in quite a lot of wind, and it's possible to place the boat exactly into a narrow space. No thruster needed.

You do NOT need to stop the boat before moving sideways! It works better if you do not. You just need to kill the forward momentum at the right moment. That's how the Captain Ron maneuver works. Point the boat at the dock, then turn and kill forward momentum with a burst of reverse -- at the same time. You stop moving ahead and continue sideways into the berth. It works so well that your sideways motion is powerful enough to overcome even quite a strong wind blowing you off. It's much more powerful then moving sideways from stopped.
Old 23-07-2017, 03:51   #128

Quote:
The "Captain Ron" method is exactly what I do when coming bows-first into an alongside berth. It works excellently even in quite a lot of wind, and it's possible to place the boat exactly into a narrow space. No thruster needed.

You do NOT need to stop the boat before moving sideways! It works better if you do not. You just need to kill the forward momentum at the right moment. That's how the Captain Ron maneuver works. Point the boat at the dock, then turn and kill forward momentum with a burst of reverse -- at the same time. You stop moving ahead and continue sideways into the berth. It works so well that your sideways motion is powerful enough to overcome even quite a strong wind blowing you off. It's much more powerful then moving sideways from stopped.
Been coming along side like this for ages.... some people are freaked out thinking I am going to crash the bow into the dock... but the reverse kicks the stern in... and stops forward motion. I can only do this on a starboard side tie because of the prop rotation direction.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 04:01   #129
cruiser

Quote:

I think you misunderstood my post. I was responding to your parallel parking post and referring to tight quarters in a marina when you come up along side another boat and need to park on front. Where there's no room for a Capt. Ron maneuver. This is when you'll need to stop the boat, then move sideways. Obviously using Capt. Ron's method, you need forward momentum.
Old 23-07-2017, 08:41   #130

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Been coming along side like this for ages.... some people are freaked out thinking I am going to crash the bow into the dock... but the reverse kicks the stern in... and stops forward motion. I can only do this on a starboard side tie because of the prop rotation direction.
My prop requires me to be a port side to Captain Ron maneuverer. Never quite as fast as Ron did it but sometimes if the wind is blowing pretty hard off the dock it helps to do it pretty fast or else I won't be able to use enough reverse to completely kick the stern in without finding myself backing up. In calm conditions you can do it in slow motion.

I've never done Ken's "levitating" off the dock maneuver by turning into the dock and using bursts of forward and thruster, but can't wait to give it a try. Thanks for that Ken!
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 12:58   #131

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by De.windhoos View Post
I do the same, except also pray that the bowline doesn't snag and quickly tie off both stern lines, put the engine in fwd gear, point the helm windward and lock it.
That way the stern can't move too much.

I have to say that picking up a mooring buoy and med mooring must be one of the most complex docking maneuvers there is. Thank god in the med you either use your anchor or pickup a lazy line

Oh I would also have several stiff drinks regardless of the number of screw-ups.
Now try to read and follow the directions while at the helm making minor corrections and handling lines allowing for throttle nuances. Go ahead. Try it.
Old 29-08-2017, 15:35   #132

Boat: Lagoon 410

The dink is a great idea but should be used thus;

- Secure at mooring ball.

- Launch dink.

-Go to the dock.

-Grab a few of the "experts".

-Take them to the boat and put them to work!

Optional- Have them "split the expenses" by standing you to some food and beverages.
InTheDish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, mooring