Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2007, 05:31   #1

Boat: Bayfield 40' Silent Running
Story of a retired sailor

When I sailed out of Canada to begin my retirement. Being only 53 years old I figured that I had many good years to enjoy life. My plan was to sail for ??? years and return to Canada. I got a lot more than I could have expected. Meeting the people in the little out of the way places and finding that most people, some of the nicest people I have ever met [real people]. Which is much different than the people in the tourist traps. When I reach the Caribbean area, I was amazed at the different beliefs and values that the people have and the need to except their values and beliefs to understand them. The prices of sailing started going up very rapidly example the first time into the Bahamas it was $28 and the last time it was $300 in a few years it was getting more costly for people on a set income. There is always the fear of something braking that you cannot afford to repair for example in the Bahamas the oil pressure went down and I though I hear noises in the engine the mechanic in George town said that the motor needed to be rebuilt which is many dollars. After nursing the boat back to the US and asking a mechanic there found it was the sending unit which was quite a relief but that worry for many miles took a told on my enjoyment. When I reach the Dominican Republic I was thinking about maybe quitting and returning to Canada. I was in contact with a few of my buddies in Canada all telling me about there part time job that they have to survive on there pension. Being a snowplow driver was in my future, which is not that, pleasant. The decisions were return to Canada and get a part time job or live here like a king it was not a hard decision. I live here on my pension being able to build my house and live on the money. If any cruisers that come to Luperon come on by and see me. I live in Martin Alonzo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	house.JPG
Views:	411
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	930  
d0ug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 05:47   #2

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
Nice story Doug - something that alot of us would like to do. I will definitely be in the DR in the next year or two and will come visit for sure.

BTW is there any problem for Canadians to own property there or did you have to immigrate? We are looking for a vacation/retirement property either south or the Azores where my wife comes from but property values have gone nuts there since the Euro. How's prices in the DR - Your house looks great.
Best Regards, Randy
Old 27-02-2007, 05:49   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

Cool! It sounds like you have got life sorted.

(I guess you coming from Canada then Snow is not quite the attraction it would be for others )
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 06:11   #4
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
dominican republic .. heard good things about this island. not many hurricanes come through there. aside from missing your friends in canada I think you did the right thing. good morning and good luck to you.
Old 28-05-2007, 13:34   #5

Boat: 36' Gulfstar Trawler
Luperon

Doug: I'd love to hear much more about life in Luperon. We are about the same age and I am also looking for my next 'spot'. I have been in Florida almost forever and truly love it but I am thinking that a change of scenery might be good for me. Thanks. Michael.
Eventide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2007, 19:10   #6

Michael you will get a pleasant surprise when you come this way. The prices to build houses are cheap and living expensive is quite reasonable. Medical insurance for my wife and I is US$ 500 per year and car insurance starts at US $65 per year. The people are real friendly and they like gringos. Being able to speak Spanish will be of great help.
Old 27-02-2008, 15:38   #7

Old age pension and baby bonus

Since I wrote this there has been changes. I now have a four month old daughter. It just keeps getting better all the time.
Old 27-02-2008, 18:56   #8

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
Doug, congratulations on the new addition!
We can always use more crew...Keep us up to date on life in Luperon, sounds great.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 06:19   #9

Boat: 36' Gulfstar Trawler
New daughter

Doug:

Congratulations on your baby daughter. She will keep you young for at least the next 25 years. Sounds like you are happy in your relatively new life in the Dominican Republic, and that you are happy with your decision to settle down there.

Keep us posted, and maybe some pictures of the new arrival. All the best.

Michael
Eventide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 10:29   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
She will keep you young for at least the next 25 years.
Not so sure about that. Usually they make you turn grey when they are about 13-14 and make you feel old by 16.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 10:58   #11
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
How is the crime in Luperon? Do ya have metal bars over the windows?

I sure would love to settle down with inexpensive living, sunshine and brand new wife...
Old 29-02-2008, 03:30   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
Not so sure about that. Usually they make you turn grey when they are about 13-14 and make you feel old by 16.
I started with gray hair any it's getting darker. I feel younger and better than I have in years. It might be all in my head but who cares.

CSYman yes I have bars on my windows. There is very little crime in the countryside and the crime is {crimes of convenience} don't leave your keys in your car for exsample. Tourist areas have more organized criminals probably much less than any large city in the US or Canada. I feel much safer here than I have anywhere.
Old 29-02-2008, 06:43   #13

Congratulations

The daughter will keep you young indeed.

I am your age and thinking of the Caribbean upon retirement. My wife is from Vietnam so the thought of living in another country is not a big deal for her. We have only been to the Dominican Republic once (Punta Cana) but liked the people and the land. We have a lot of experience with Jamaica and Mexico and some with Puerto Rico and Cuba. The Jamaicans are wonderful people and I have been going there since 1977 but real estate prices have gone through the roof. The Dominican Republic is looking more attractive.

We appreciate your sharing your life with us on the board and look forward to hearing more of the day to day aspects of the Dominican Republic.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 09:57   #14

I think the DR is the perfect place to retire too that’s why I’m here but other people have found other paradises. I have had people come down to visit and went back home sold everything and move down here. It takes a change in values and beliefs to be completely comfortable here. The average Dominican has no concept of time so if you plan on anyone meeting you at a given time forget about it. This is why they are so happy they don’t worry about tomorrow they live right now. The truth is a last resort if all fails they tell the truth it seem to be a game. All projects [private or government] people will ask what’s in it for me. If you can adjust and except that as the way it is you will find it paradise. The prices of land here are going up very rapidly and if you are not in a hurry you can still find deals. The foreigners are partly to blame by paying what ever they are asked for land. There are no land taxes so people are sitting on unused land with no need to sell.
Old 29-02-2008, 10:29   #15

Soon Come

The Manana Syndrome (Soon Come in Jamaica) - I know it well. Another potential paradise is Vietnam and Thailand. They are very similar in some respects to the Carib - one big difference is punctuality. If you order your cable tv, the guy will go home with you and hook it up right now. The people are generally very friendly. The downside is that it is a long way from home and the air is quite polluted.

Doug, you are man after my own heart, having the balls to actually make the move. Keep up posted on your experiences.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote