Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2013, 10:14   #421
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Sudden Attraction to Hunters

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Depends on how it was delivered. On-road deliveries are the most common in the U.S. which has bridges under which boats must travel. Hence the lack of keel when delivered. We're discussing delivery in the U.S. of production boats, right?

I infer from your implication that you don't consider your sailBOAT a "boat"...
Like I said, you have no clue about my Sundeer; you should have heard of it and of the designer Steve Dashew. Everybody in the industry knows. Sundeers are 100% USA built in Newport, RI by TPI. They are never delivered over the road but on their own keel, through the water, by so called delivery crews. It is the standard anywhere in the world incl. USA.
You make it sound like shrink wrapped hot dogs being delivered to supermarkets.

Boating is not sailing. Jedi is a yacht, her dinghy is a boat I would know as the Dutch invented the very word
Old 24-03-2013, 16:27   #422
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

s/v Jedi suffers from boat snobbery. All hunter owners should go out and buy a Dashew. Sure, they are far better than Hunter so I will take you up on that recommendation. I will pass on my bank account details so you can pay me the balance after I sell my $80K hunter so that I can afford a $800K Sundeer 64 such as yourself. Clearly this is what you have been alluding to in this thread isn't it, as you wouldn't be carrying on about how bad Hunters are without providing a friendly solution to save the lives of their forsaken owners.
Old 24-03-2013, 17:36   #423

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Like I said, you have no clue about my Sundeer; you should have heard of it and of the designer Steve Dashew. Everybody in the industry knows. Sundeers are 100% USA built in Newport, RI by TPI. They are never delivered over the road but on their own keel, through the water, by so called delivery crews. It is the standard anywhere in the world incl. USA.
You make it sound like shrink wrapped hot dogs being delivered to supermarkets.

Boating is not sailing. Jedi is a yacht, her dinghy is a boat I would know as the Dutch invented the very word
I assure you it is inconceivable for you to know how little I care about your specific boat. Thus far, you have not contradicted one thing I've said. All you appear to do is be contentious for its own sake so go play with people who find that acceptable.

And your sailboat is a boat no matter how much you want to self-glorify it.
Old 24-03-2013, 18:05   #424

As far as entry level production boats Hunters are probably equal to the Beneteau, Jeaneau, Baveria etc. They are all pretty much built the same and all of them cater to the charter business. Charter companies try to get the most boat for the least dollar and these companies do a great job on providing a product perfectly suited to that market. On average they appear to stand up to the riggers of the charter market. Most of them are beds and heads but I've seen cruisers who have added storage here and there and the boats do a reasonable job in that mode as well. I'm also sure out of the bunch there will be some that are better and some not so good. It might be hard to pass up some of the deals that are out there right now, you can buy a used 5 year old 42 foot Bavaria for less money than many of you payed for boats that are 20-30 years old.
Old 24-03-2013, 18:18   #425

Boat: Alberg 30
Quote:

So Don, this means that you know exactly if Hunter puts keels on their boats or not. Please, tell us, because I don't know but read here that they don't...
Not usually, there's one in the yard here having it's keel put on right now.
Same with most other brands, pdi takes weeks
Old 24-03-2013, 18:41   #426

Why not trust a yard to commission a boat? We trust them for major repairs, stepping a mast, fiberglass repair, keel repair, etc. so why not putting on a keel?

I happened to know the people who commissioned our boat and trusted them for that -and other big things such as pulling the generator out by crane-you better trust them when they take it out through the narrow companionway & above the boat (PO froze it with only 9 hours). So bolting on a keel isn't exactly brain surgery.

Just saying...
Old 24-03-2013, 19:03   #427

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
s/v Jedi suffers from boat snobbery. All hunter owners should go out and buy a Dashew. Sure, they are far better than Hunter so I will take you up on that recommendation. I will pass on my bank account details so you can pay me the balance after I sell my $80K hunter so that I can afford a $800K Sundeer 64 such as yourself. Clearly this is what you have been alluding to in this thread isn't it, as you wouldn't be carrying on about how bad Hunters are without providing a friendly solution to save the lives of their forsaken owners.
You demand friendly solutions from me because you have a Hunter and I have a Sundeer? You are rude; what do you think to accomplish with such a post?

This snob here just finished posting a thread on how to fix my deck rot. When did you fix that on your boat? You really think I would not talk about what is wrong with Sundeers? There is plenty wrong with every boat and forums like this is the place to discuss that. If you don't like that then go away instead of insulting people.
Old 24-03-2013, 19:14   #428

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
I assure you it is inconceivable for you to know how little I care about your specific boat. Thus far, you have not contradicted one thing I've said. All you appear to do is be contentious for its own sake so go play with people who find that acceptable.

And your sailboat is a boat no matter how much you want to self-glorify it.
You should only talk about things you know a bit about. Why are you so upset?

I have only asked questions on the Hunter keels and all I initially got was BS until somebody pointed out the truth. I never said anything about how or who attaches the keel.

Also, you are rude. It is a sign that normal discussion doesn't work for you.
Old 24-03-2013, 19:19   #429

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
Why not trust a yard to commission a boat? We trust them for major repairs, stepping a mast, fiberglass repair, keel repair, etc. so why not putting on a keel?

I happened to know the people who commissioned our boat and trusted them for that -and other big things such as pulling the generator out by crane-you better trust them when they take it out through the narrow companionway & above the boat (PO froze it with only 9 hours). So bolting on a keel isn't exactly brain surgery.

Just saying...
How can you have trusted these yard people when they commissioned your boat but also have a previous owner involved? When you are not the first owner, you never had your Hunter delivered from the factory with separate keel and have it assembled and launched by those people.
Old 25-03-2013, 03:35   #430
CLOD

Boat: none

is there a point to this except for someone to "win"
Old 25-03-2013, 06:22   #431

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
is there a point to this except for someone to "win"
Of-course! Have it checked next haul-out if you haven't done that before! With so many Hunters it must be easy to get somebody with the right torque wrench to check the bolts, and be done with it. Knowing the weakness is half the solution. I thought everybody would think this way but obviously this stupid, naive engineer got stuck in a boat politics discussion instead of a tech one, with a yes-no game the likes of it I've never seen before!

Old 25-03-2013, 06:44   #432

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
You should only talk about things you know a bit about. Why are you so upset?

I have only asked questions on the Hunter keels and all I initially got was BS until somebody pointed out the truth. I never said anything about how or who attaches the keel.

Also, you are rude. It is a sign that normal discussion doesn't work for you.
A review of the discussion here clearly shows we gave you polite responses to your blatantly argumentative questions. Case in point in the above quote.

Arrogance is not a virtue and usually depicts a self-esteem issue.
Old 25-03-2013, 06:45   #433
CLOD

Boat: none

Come on now you don't think that everyone checks their keels on haul out? This isn't a Hunter issue, it is something everyone with a bolt on keel should be doing.

Of course it doesn't matter to you what all the owners say. As you say "with so many Hunter owners" you would think that the 10,000s with no problems would out weigh the few.

On the Hunter owners site there only 1 post of a keel problem, and it is the same person who has posted here. And the keel don't fall off and apparently wasn't even loose. It was an isolated case just like for pretty much any boat brand.
Old 25-03-2013, 13:13   #434

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Nah, you apparently had a good guy in some yard put a keel under your boat. But you would not accept the same "to be assembled" kit when you buy a new car?!

We did have multiple posts here from owners that had their keel fall off. I wondered how that could be and now it is clear: there is no quality control on the final attachment of the keel. Case closed... I think.
A lot of options are installed at the dealer. The last time I bought a Honda (long long time ago), the dealer was to install the "factory" sunroof and air conditioning.

Don't know if they still do that, but I do remember that it scared me to have a dealer cutting a hole in the roof of my car.
Old 25-03-2013, 16:10   #435

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
A lot of options are installed at the dealer. The last time I bought a Honda (long long time ago), the dealer was to install the "factory" sunroof and air conditioning.

Don't know if they still do that, but I do remember that it scared me to have a dealer cutting a hole in the roof of my car.
The reason they did that was to avoid taxes. It was a loophole they found and the cars were shipped with the components in the trunk. Something about luxury vs not.

Tags
hunter