Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2014, 13:17   #556
cruiser

Re: Sudden Attraction to Hunters

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
My brother bought a 46 hunter. He ran on a bar on a falling tide and ended up laying in its side. Afterwards the joinery was so messed up you could stick a finger through a few places. I suspect that a couple of the glue joints that hold the liner to the hull failed. We counted 12 leaks during a hard rain at tabernacle hatches and somewhere from cockpit. When he went to change stinky head hoses he found out it required cutting numerous holes in the liner. The boat creaks and flexes in 1-2' seas at anchor. It is roomy and comfortable and looks great inside. Sails upwind well but not so hot downwind. with the small keel area and limited angle of the boom accidental gybes are common. The boat is at its best at the dock as a floating condo as long as its not raining
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
A brand new Hunter 45DS was launched at our marina. The second it hit the water it started to sink. Seems the keel was leaking like a sieve at the hull joint. Take from this what you will....
I found these gems on the third page of this thread. Awesome build quality! Let's hope the new Marlow company has made some improvements on quality control. I did like the interior woodwork on the new Hunter 40 at the boat shows, looks like they're making an effort to improve the brand.

However, I wouldn't want to be on a few of the Hunters mentioned on this thread if heading around Cape Horn was in my plans. Some of the failures could turn out to be rather..... inconvenient.
Old 23-10-2014, 13:19   #557

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

I disagree with your 85% skipper, 14% luck, 1% boat.

The better the skipper, the less the boat or luck matters.
The luckier the skipper, the less the boat or captain matter.

They are all variables... there is no one solution.
Old 23-10-2014, 13:26   #558
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Coops - let's not be rude. That's a long list of name-calling bro. Heh-heh.

Let's just stick to the subject at hand. What do you have to offer?
Oh, absolutely nothing more than my opinion, a not unusual phenomenon it seems. What I do not have is a sudden attraction to Hunters. But, before the alert button goes off in the minds of those who have one (an alert button, not a mind that is) I have no aversion to them either.

Coops.
Old 23-10-2014, 13:51   #559
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Gentlemen and Ladies we have a winner, finally a thread that seems to have beaten any of the gun and maybe an anchor thread or two in silliness and hurt feelings.
Who cares what kind of boat others have, and why are some so darned determined to convince other that their boat of choice is a "real blue water" boat.
I thought long ago that term was determined to be meaningless?
Old 23-10-2014, 13:54   #560

I've always agreed that Hunters, Benni's, and Bavaria's and the like do OK in the lower latitudes, hell most circumnavigaters never see much over 30 knots and 10 foot seas. I also agree that there is little difference between one or the other as they are built using the same techniques and share the same equipment. As others have pointed out many small old production boats have sailed around the world so its not like you need a really well built boat to do the job as long as the sailor does his part.
Old 23-10-2014, 14:56   #561

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
I've always agreed that Hunters, Benni's, and Bavaria's and the like do OK in the lower latitudes, hell most circumnavigaters never see much over 30 knots and 10 foot seas. I also agree that there is little difference between one or the other as they are built using the same techniques and share the same equipment. As others have pointed out many small old production boats have sailed around the world so its not like you need a really well built boat to do the job as long as the sailor does his part.
I never sailed any of my Pearson's RTW. Same for my Winthrop Warner Yawl.

How about you? What did you choose to go cruising in?
Old 23-10-2014, 15:12   #562
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I found these gems on the third page of this thread. Awesome build quality! Let's hope the new Marlow company has made some improvements on quality control. I did like the interior woodwork on the new Hunter 40 at the boat shows, looks like they're making an effort to improve the brand.

However, I wouldn't want to be on a few of the Hunters mentioned on this thread if heading around Cape Horn was in my plans. Some of the failures could turn out to be rather..... inconvenient.
I wouldn't want to be on an Oyster either considering their track record around Cape Horn.
Old 23-10-2014, 16:06   #563
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Forget the Oyster, smack. If Kenomack will kick in the difference, I'll sink my Hunter and buy Ghost - Ghost | Vitters Shipyard Then, my hat will be bigger than his....

Ralph
Old 23-10-2014, 16:31   #564
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Wow, what a white elephant for a "normal" person, You could give it to me and I'd file bankruptcy within a year or two just trying to "feed" her
Old 23-10-2014, 17:27   #565
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

It would be a good one or two years though.

Coops.
Old 23-10-2014, 17:29   #566
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Forget the Oyster, smack. If Kenomack will kick in the difference, I'll sink my Hunter and buy Ghost - Ghost | Vitters Shipyard Then, my hat will be bigger than his....

Ralph
Honestly, Oysters are not my kind of boat. Definitely wouldn't choose one.

But Ghost - oh hell yeah!
Old 24-10-2014, 00:50   #567

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
I never sailed any of my Pearson's RTW. Same for my Winthrop Warner Yawl.

How about you? What did you choose to go cruising in?
First was a C&C, not a good choice, second was a CS, good choice, third was a Tartan, good choice and we are currently cruising a Moody, good choice.
Old 24-10-2014, 06:55   #568
cruiser

'Just thought I'd chime in with a couple of comments in order to add some perspective to some of my previous comments for those folks who might not know where I'm coming from (most do by this time on CF). We owned a Hunter 450 for nearly three years, lived on the boat for one complete year in Southern California and sailed the boat down from San Francisco to Long Beach and then quite extensively in So Cal. Even spent many nights at anchor, sometimes in 50 knot winds inside the Los Angeles harbor breakwater. I know the boat well.

Had the boat performed good enough during that time in order for us to feel confident in it's ability to withstand longer passages and possible foul weather at sea.... we'd still be owners of a Hunter 450. The boat had shortcomings for this task too numerous to include in this post. It's a lightly built, daysailor best suited as a dock condo or cruising vessel for areas known for light winds and fair weather. In that capacity, it does a great job... we loved the boat.

For those who suggest that a 45ft Hunter or any Hunter for that matter, is a boat constructed by the manufacturer with circumnavigation, crossing the North Atlantic or "round the Horn" adventures in mind is completely ridiculous. There's a quantum leap in build quality and structural elements between a standard Hunter and a boats like a Halberg Rassy, Swan, Discovery, etc. etc. Most buyers understand this and accept the limitations. Hunter is a brand built to minimum standards to keep most buyers safe for the use intended as I've described above. For that purpose, it's a great boat and Hunter did a good job and now seems to be improving under new ownership.

Anyone who's ineptitude is so vast as no not allow them to process this sort of information in a critical way (butt headed), God help them if and when they decide to intentionally set out across an angry sea... the boat certainly isn't up to the task.

For those folks who own a Hunter like we did, I hope you're out there enjoying your yacht as much as us... they're wonderful when used appropriately.

Ken
Over and out...
Old 24-10-2014, 07:40   #569
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Even spent many nights at anchor, sometimes in 50 knot winds inside the Los Angeles harbor breakwater. I know the boat well.
Interesting citation for authority on judging the seaworthiness of boats.

Your posts are entertaining Keno, I'll give you that.
Old 24-10-2014, 07:50   #570
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Your posts are entertaining Keno, I'll give you that.
You obviously don't know much about Southern California or Los Angeles harbor either. The Santa Ana winds blow 50-70 mph from inland. So from inside the outer breakwater, a boat anchored in the outer harbor, as I was many times... is exposed to high winds and the risk of ending up on the rocks.

I've been out many times in 40+ knot winds on our present boat in the Med and in 50 knot winds in the English channel and across the Bay of Biscay. I do know something about sailing in foul weather and what is required of a boat in these conditions.

Ken
Closed Thread

Tags
hunter