Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2016, 18:53   #1

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
The right boat

A young man that I know was out sailing today in his 3rd boat. He is a live aboard and recently upgraded from a 28' sloop to a 35' ketch. His 3rd boat is a sweet little sailing dink. A 10' sloop that points very well.

Watching him battle upwind in a narrow channel back to his slip was entertaining. He is small, quick and nimble and handled the tacking well. The winds were gusting above 20 mph and I would have likely have faired less well ducking the boom and changing sides in the many tacks. I am neither small nor nimble and would likely have capsized.

When new sailors look for recommendations for a first boat, a boat similar to his #3 is the type I think best suits someone learning to handle the wind. They are a lot easier to drag out of the mud, off of an oyster reef or a beach when the wind teaches them about a lee shore.
Old 13-09-2016, 18:59   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: The right boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
A young man that I know was out sailing today in his 3rd boat. He is a live aboard and recently upgraded from a 28' sloop to a 35' ketch. His 3rd boat is a sweet little sailing dink. A 10' sloop that points very well.

Watching him battle upwind in a narrow channel back to his slip was entertaining. He is small, quick and nimble and handled the tacking well. The winds were gusting above 20 mph and I would have likely have faired less well ducking the boom and changing sides in the many tacks. I am neither small nor nimble and would likely have capsized.

When new sailors look for recommendations for a first boat, a boat similar to his #3 is the type I think best suits someone learning to handle the wind. They are a lot easier to drag out of the mud, off of an oyster reef or a beach when the wind teaches them about a lee shore.
I couldn't agree more. Plus, small, responsive sailboats like that, they teach you fast, and there is less overall financial hit!

Ann
Old 13-09-2016, 19:31   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: The right boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post

I too agree. The response of the boat is immediate and so are the consequences for errors! But the thrill is immediate too. And anything that much fun is sure to get you hooked!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote