Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2020, 12:36   #61

Boat: Dufour 385
Re: The stupidest/funniest mistakes you've made?

OP, great idea.
We're anchored in a small harbor, dinner done, crew to bed. I'm having that last glass of wine, listening to a podcast on bluetooth earbuds via my cellphone. I had been swimming and my cell was in the pocket of my swimsuit. Nature called, and I stood on the starboard quarter. Lifting a leg of the swimsuit (easier than untying it), I prepared to answer. Clunk, splash, and the noise my earbuds make when disconnecting. In a descending tone: BLOOP Bloop bloop.
Bunnellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:59   #62

I had been sailing my 26ft Macwester a few years and I thought I was ok with day shapes and lights and was single handed doing an end of season trip from the Isle of Anglesey to Liverpool in the UK, a journey of about 50 miles including the long buoyed channels at Liverpool. It was dark and murky the end of October and as I entered the Queens Channel there were a number of lights ahead. I could not recognise any sense in the lights or indication what sort of craft was in the channel or even if there were several craft. At times I seemed to be catching them up, at other times they seemed to be powering quickly towards me. I stopped at times and the lights disappeared into the next channel around a dogleg,the Crosby Channel then as I recommenced some way on only about 2/3knots the whole array of lights swung around and seemed to be heading rapidly straight at me. Totally spooked I checked the depth of water outside the starboard edge of the channel and shot out of the channel. I then skirted along outside the channel and I still could not understand what was going on with the number of lights moving around in the channel. I eventually arrived in Liverpool and anchored by New Brighton for the rest of the night.
The next day waiting for the tide I was checked out by SAS types on black jetskis and the the lifeboat who seemed to want to chat to me about Anglesey in fine detail even down to where my mooring there was(ID check I suppose) . It seems that the Royal Yacht Brittania was due in port that day; I never really found out but it was probable that the vessels on the channel were minesweepers checking out the area for mines etc as the IRA were still active at that time.
catalac08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 13:29   #63

I'm just going to say that solar panels make EXCELLENT "crumple zones" for your solar arch! Arch made it - the panel not so much.

But fairly inexpensive mistake, no one was hurt, and no yelling to or from the crew was done!
nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 15:13   #64

I started out my sailing carreer with a Prindle 16 cat. My boss told me the best way to learn how to sail is to enter a race. Two weeks later there was a regatta off Dana Point, CA and I entered it. It was a beautiful site going out of the harbor with all the multi colored sails. I got a decent start and after passing the first marker the fog rolled in and the wind died. I didn't even know which way was land. I came in 2 hours after the race was over!
thericksster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 16:19   #65

Boat: TBA

We were out for a week and went a lot further than I had planed on so in a motor boat the fuel was tight to make our overnight stop before refueling,and then the wind blew up a bit so instead of risking going into a creek with little fuel and doubt on the exact quantity I decided to get the mate (a neighbour of mine) to take a couple of cans in the dinghy “I asked him to go into the dock as see if you can get fuel” so I anchored up set him on his task . About an hour latter he returned, I helped him dock and said to him “how did you go did you find fuel”his answer “ yes they have all types” I got everything together ready to tip the fuel into the tank when my wife tapped me on the shoulder. She said I need to tell you something ,promise you’ll stay calm,I agreed. So she said the dinghy is now out of fuel,I said no worries we can top it up when we get up the creek,wife then said that “my mate” had done exactly what I had asked he found fuel,he didn’t think that the mission was to actually get some.

Of course I now go overboard when giving instructions for these “mates” of mine
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 16:22   #66

Sailing into Boqeron Puerto Rico late at night, wife yells down to me, off watch fast asleep, "THERES A VESSEL ON COLLISION COURSE WITH US NOW!" I stuggle to cockpit and see red and green lights coming straight at us . I grab the helm and try to turn away as a DEA stealth helicopter at 10 ft off the water passes us by!
thecapt2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 19:29   #67

Send a message via Skype™ to CaptWho

Many years ago I had a Hunter 28.5 on the Gulf Coast of Florida. I decided to sail to Cabbage Key for an overnight. I found a nice place to anchor, pulled the Danforth out of the anchor locker and threw it in.

As you know, the blade of the anchor pivots and is supposed to dig into the bottom and hold you. It was a boat that I had purchased recently and hadn't used the anchor yet. I noticed when I tossed it overboard that the pivot had rusted and locked, but for some unknown and stupid reason I threw it in anyways.

My GF and I went into the bar and had a couple of beers. On the way back to the dingy dock, someone came up to me and said "Is that your boat that's dragging out there?".

We hopped into the dink and raced over to the boat which by that time was about 25' from the rocks. We jumped on board, started the engine and I went forward with a hammer and pounded the blade until the rust broke loose. If we had been another minute or two later, the boat would have been on those rocks.

We repositioned the boat, reanchored and spent the night peacefully. I don't think I've ever told anyone this story... LOL
CaptWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 20:51   #68

Good experience comes from bad judgement.
fireant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 21:49   #69

Boat: Clipper 60 SII

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireant View Post
Good experience comes from bad judgement.
“Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others.” Otto von Bismarck.

I'm learning heaps from this thread!
Kiwi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 23:57   #70

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

And remember, experience is that quality that you gain just after you really needed it!

Jim
Old 06-06-2020, 02:38   #71

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Too many to list, though the one Lesley most often repeats is the great gin debacle:
As we prepared to leave Panama one of the supermarkets was doing a 'special' on off-brand but very quaffable gin and rum, it was running at about $US6/litre and knowing that in French Polynesia it would be more like $50/litre, we bought lots; the storage problem being overcome by decanting almost all of it from the heavy glass bottles into 5 & 10 litre plastic jerry jugs, which stowed nicely with the spare water jugs under the chart table. No problems with the rum, but sadly I poured 20 litres of the gin into the freshwater tank.
Old 06-06-2020, 03:27   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
Too many to list, though the one Lesley most often repeats is the great gin debacle:
As we prepared to leave Panama one of the supermarkets was doing a 'special' on off-brand but very quaffable gin and rum, it was running at about $US6/litre and knowing that in French Polynesia it would be more like $50/litre, we bought lots; the storage problem being overcome by decanting almost all of it from the heavy glass bottles into 5 & 10 litre plastic jerry jugs, which stowed nicely with the spare water jugs under the chart table. No problems with the rum, but sadly I poured 20 litres of the gin into the freshwater tank.
You neglected to add, "and lo, there was harmony on board for many days thereafter..."

Did the two of you fall about the salon laughing when it was discovered?
LittleWing77

(This is a great thread Cptn_Black)
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:20   #73

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

New boat, first cruise, I cracked up on the rocks of Alcatraz island in SF Bay.

It was a cold, clear midnight of Christmas Eve and I was bundled in my sleeping bag in the cockpit of my new-to-me Erickson 25. This was my first cruise after buying my boat and graduating from the USCG Auxiliary sailing course. I took a week off work and was headed for Monterey. Starting out from Redwood City in the south bay, I timed my departure to catch a 4 knot ebb tide out the Golden Gate and rocketed north in record time.

The sailing was fantastic, San Francisco was all lit up with holiday lights and as I passed by the water front I was mesmerized. As I cleared the point I turned the bow towards the Golden Gate Bridge as I continued to be fascinated with the beauty of San Francisco. I kept the bow pointed towards the Gate but eventually noticed that I wasn't getting any closer, I seemed to be going sideways.

Before I knew it, I was caught in the 4 knot ebb current pushing me directly into Alcatraz island. I couldn't sail away. I frantically put the ancient outboard in the water and tried to start it. Seconds later I was on the rocks.

I called the Coast Guard on the VHF and they sent a RIB that towed me off the rocks, but damaged my rudder in the process, so my week long cruise to Monterey ended up being a tow to the nearest boatyard for rudder repair, with just enough time to sail back home to return to work.

Thankfully the conditions on the bay that night were benign and my boat and myself were not in any real danger, but it could have been very bad in different conditions. I was lucky.

Needless to say I learned some BIG lessons that night!
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 14:23   #74

Boat: Freedom 38

You were really lucky, SV_Grace. I was sailing by Alcatraz one evening when a power boat hit the Little Alcatraz rock and sank within about 20 minutes, IIRC. Different circumstances, I know, but good that you can look back on it knowing you didn't lose the boat or got hurt.

I'm not sure which of my doozies I'd like to share. I've had a few. Not ashamed of them, but happy they were good learning experience and nothing bad happened. Some I laugh over now. I've also learned a lot about what not to do from this forum as well as some good tips (like keeping the AIS or tracker on when anchored out), that I will definitely use in the future.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 17:26   #75
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I have been reliably informed that the good Lord looks after fools, drunks, and sailors...not necessarily in that order.

In this regards I have been triply blessed as I have fallen into any of the above categories in any number of circumstances....sometimes ( maybe a lot) in all three categories in one all encompassing foul sweep.

There is no question I would not be alive today were it not for this blessing.

I could write a book on the many dubious things I've said, done or experienced in my lifetime.

To list one or two things, would not do this thread justice.

I am living proof of the above statement and to further expound on this, would be futile to explain here in a few statements or notes.

I am sure I am not alone here, but perhaps I am... ???
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fun, mistakes