Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2013, 14:47   #271

Re: things you've tossed off the boat that others think are necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFeather View Post
This makes sense to me, but do you have a watermaker? 'Cause I can see having a watermaker but no hot water heater or pressure. But having none of these may be pushing my husband and kids farther than they are willing to go. Would you do the same with kids on board?
We do not have a watermaker, but we live aboard in the US. If I was heading to remote locations with kids and little rain, I would most likely feel the need for a watermaker. In the US and Caribbean, I cannot see us ever adding one. Then again we are much more KISS than average.

To me, most of the reason to simplify and skimp on the water system is to avoid having to buy a water maker. They are extremely expensive, very power hungry, and high maintenance. I will go a long way to avoid that un-holy trinity.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 14:52   #272

Boat: Watkins Sea Wolf 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
RF,

There will be many times (if you are living aboard and cruising) that you will wish you had hot water. Especially the kids.

Yes you can heat it on the stove.................
So a vote for the water heater? Like Therapy and janice142, do you only turn on the water heater before you expect to need it? Else, doesn't it eat up a lot of energy? And unless it's running all the time, how does it keep the water hot?
Old 23-11-2013, 14:58   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
We do not have a watermaker, but we live aboard in the US. If I was heading to remote locations with kids and little rain, I would most likely feel the need for a watermaker. In the US and Caribbean, I cannot see us ever adding one. Then again we are much more KISS than average.

To me, most of the reason to simplify and skimp on the water system is to avoid having to buy a water maker. They are extremely expensive, very power hungry, and high maintenance. I will go a long way to avoid that un-holy trinity.
Got it. We would initially be in the same circumstances you're in now, but looks like we would eventually need the watermaker and the hot water heater. Guess I better scurry over to the solar panel threads; save them as PDFs for when we have no wifi bc the water maker and water heater ate up all our electricity.
Old 23-11-2013, 15:03   #274

Quote:
Got it. We would initially be in the same circumstances you're in now, but looks like we would eventually need the watermaker and the hot water heater. Guess I better scurry over to the solar panel threads; save them as PDFs for when we have no wifi bc the water maker and water heater ate up all our electricity.
In the spirit if this thread, I more than anything recommend starting simple and then only adding things as you find you really need them. That will save much time, money, and pain compared to adding everything and then tossing it as it breaks or you find you do not need it.

If you are initially living in areas with marinas, for sure do not add at watermaker. If you later get ready to cross the pacific, you can add it then. By then they will most likely be cheaper, more reliable, and use less electricity. Hot water heaters I imagine are pretty darn reliable, so if you want hot water no reason not to have one.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 15:10   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
In the spirit if this thread, I more than anything recommend starting simple and then only adding things as you find you really need them. That will save much time, money, and pain compared to adding everything and then tossing it as it breaks or you find you do not need it.

If you are initially living in areas with marinas, for sure do not add at water maker. If you later get ready to cross the pacific, you can add it then. By then they will most likely be cheaper, more reliable, and use less electricity. Hot water heaters I imagine are pretty darn reliable, so if you want hot water no reason not to have one.
Makes sense, technology marching on and what not. But how big a hot water heater would we need? Because we live in an apartment building, we turn on the hot water and out it comes; no extra money for it every month and since we never see a hot water bill, or any water bill for that matter, I have no clue how much water we use, hot or otherwise.

I'm very appreciative of people taking the time to answer my questions, BTW.
Old 23-11-2013, 15:28   #276

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
So a vote for the water heater? Like Therapy and janice142, do you only turn on the water heater before you expect to need it? Else, doesn't it eat up a lot of energy? And unless it's running all the time, how does it keep the water hot?
The water heater I had was heated by the engine. It warmed almost as fast as the engine. It would stay "too hot" for 12hrs. hot for another 24 or so. Then warm for another day. That translates to 3 showers the first night or two the first and one the next day, or one the second day.

We found that while day hopping we used the engine to get in and out of wherever we were anchoring so always had hot water. A bunch of days out, like the Tortugas - oh well. At a marina or mooring ball there are Hollywood showers ashore.

But then I found the shower too much waste of water. Running till hot, adjusting, using funky shut-off. I used the sink and a rag. Or the swim with Joy and a rinse - Florida.

Oh yea. Ours, and most all I think, also runs on 110 when at the dock and plugged in.
Old 23-11-2013, 15:43   #277

Boat: Beneteau 323
We ditched the hot water heater before went cruising and have not looked back. We have two solar showers but usually just take bucket baths, heating water in a big pot on the stove.

We have not used the AC battery charger for several months so we plan in ditching that too.

We have a four year old child on board full time and two teenage girls on board six weeks per year.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote