Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2015, 20:23   #31

Re: This Is Driving Me Crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailinnole View Post
I hadn't realized a boat STILL hasn't been purchased...
And based on the conversation we just had, there may never be one. But really, I learned tonight if I want a boat, I just have to buy it and hope for the best. The clock is ticking too loudly to ignore it. Blinders on, earplugs in and all ahead full.
Old 14-01-2015, 05:13   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
6 years of boat shopping... If you really wanted to go boating then yes you are right, that is insane!
I got to thinking about this and I think it illustrates a problem that a lot of the people who come to this forum have.

Before I go on, JulieMor, please don't take this personally. I am not directing it at you. It may not apply to you. Or it may. That is for you to decide. In any case...

I think the mistake a lot of people make is that they have made up their mind that the next boat they buy has to be the absolute perfect boat for the rest of their life. Nothing else will do. They spend years and years searching and agonizing, trying to decide what "the perfect boat" really is, trying to figure out how to afford it, and then trying to find it.

Just go out and buy something that you can use RIGHT NOW! It may not be perfect. It may not be the long-term, live-aboard, world cruiser that you ultimately want. It may be nothing more than a little sailing dinghy you'll use in that lake down the road. Maybe just a Sunfish. Who cares? You'll have a boat and you'll be sailing. Isn't that the important thing?

When the time comes that you can actually use that perfect, rest-of-your-life, live-aboard, world cruiser, THEN will be the time to buy it. That might be next year, or it might not be for ten years. It doesn't matter. The point is that buying a boat to fit what you imagine your life will be like in ten years is pretty much impossible. Buying a boat for what you are planning to do a few months from now is easy.

Anyway, that's my thought. Worth about what you paid for it.
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 07:34   #33

Thanks Don but I don't have enough time or the money to go through the process of buying up until I get to the "right" boat.

From what I've learned, three things are virtually guaranteed each time you move to your next boat - 1. You will sell your boat for less than you bought it; 2. It could take a year or more to sell unless you fire sale it; 3. Only of a small fraction of the money you put into upgrading it and making it yours will be recouped when you sell it. It's a hole in the water into which one throws money.

I realize there are exceptions, but counting on being the exception isn't a gamble I'm willing to take. I can do the boat of my dreams now. I could have done it years ago. I just didn't want to do it alone.
Old 14-01-2015, 13:21   #34
CLOD

Boat: none

I can pretty guarantee that no matter how much time and research you put into selecting your first boat, 12 months later it wouldn't be the one you wish you had.

Been there, done that!

So best to just get on with getting your first boat. No matter what it is going to be a compromise.
Old 14-01-2015, 14:34   #35

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
From what I've learned, three things are virtually guaranteed each time you move to your next boat - 1. You will sell your boat for less than you bought it; 2. It could take a year or more to sell unless you fire sale it; 3. Only of a small fraction of the money you put into upgrading it and making it yours will be recouped when you sell it. It's a hole in the water into which one throws money.
While all three points are valid, you have ignored the upsides of the multi-boat path to nirvana. Re your comments:

1. Yes, you will likely loose money as described, but not necessarily a lot of money. But, the process of buying, owning and sailing that boat will be rewarding, both in the fun of doing and the lessons learned. Many folks here on CF think nothing of blowing a few thousand bucks on a two week charter, but get frantic worrying about depreciation on a boat that they enjoy for several years.

2. Yes, sometimes selling isn't easy, but during that time, you still have the boat to sail and enjoy and learn upon. You are not confined to posting on CF and wishing you were sailing.

3. You do have the option of not spending big bucks on upgrades on an interim boat. Simply noting what improvements are required and keeping them in mind when looking for the next boat is a useful methodology. This practice reduces the losses that you might generate in your learning process.

I haven't done the search myself, but you might find it interesting to check on the folks who have been actually cruising long term, and see how many of them are in the first boat that they owned. I'll bet it is a very small fraction, and that of those that are, the boat in question was purchased new. These are the folks who have the most to loose in terms of depreciation if they decide that their vessel is not really what they need, and this may influence their decision to stick with the boat that doesn't really suit. This is obviously conjecture on my part, but reflects what I have observed in teh cruising fleets around this part of the world.

Jim
Old 14-01-2015, 15:37   #36

Boat: Creekmore 36

Warning---Life is what happens while you're planning your future. Don't wait for it.
tfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 15:41   #37

Boat: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
I retired over 6 years ago. I was ready to sell the house and buy a boat. Then I met someone. She's amazing. So I waited. Now, she seems ready. The house is turn key but the realtors say wait until late Feb. I'm sitting on an egg waiting for it to hatch and I'm going nuts.

I want to buy stuff to prepare for the trip.

I want to buy stuff to put on the boat.

This is insane!

Or is it?

Since this is in the Sailor's Confessional, please don't report me to the Brute Squad.
I'm a Realtor and unless you live in the outback of Montana or something equally unappealing this is a GREAT time to sell.... Providing you don't have to shovel from the sidewalk to the front door! The inventory is at all time lows and the market is working.
Good luck!!
MarcStAug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 17:55   #38
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
I retired over 6 years ago. I was ready to sell the house and buy a boat. Then I met someone. She's amazing. So I waited. Now, she seems ready. The house is turn key but the realtors say wait until late Feb. I'm sitting on an egg waiting for it to hatch and I'm going nuts.

I want to buy stuff to prepare for the trip.

I want to buy stuff to put on the boat.

This is insane!

Or is it?

Since this is in the Sailor's Confessional, please don't report me to the Brute Squad.
We already had our boat before we decided to sell the home, and everything in it.

Once we decided to put the house on the market, the city dug up the main street that accessed the subdivision. While the re-paving was underway (for 9 months), buyers were turned off to the neighborhood. After being on the market for 90 days, we took it back off the market. I decided to work one more year, and save toward the cruising kitty. It went by pretty fast considering, because every day I had an end goal. Eventually, we did sell, but a fair bit below what the market was 18 months earlier. Plus, in order to sell, we spent too many dollars adding granite countertops, and various other things that were now considered outdated. In the end, we had an estate sale, yard sales, and contributed heavily to donation things, like Salvation Army and such.

We booted our son out of the house, and off we went to the boat. That was August 2012. November 15th, we were on our way after spending a few bucks at West Marine. Things like a dinghy and outboard, anchor and chain, Lifesling, new flares, etc....

Also, I ordered a Honda EU2000i generator.

We didn't have solar or wind gen when we left, and just depended on the Honda to keep us going. Also, no AP, no windlass, no radar, no Epirb or liferaft, no ssb, no AIS.......

But we did have a boat that we owned. It floats. The engine and electrics are good. It's 32 years old and only 36 feet. For two, it's plenty. Oh, and only cost $20K. I've added 200 watts of solar, and a free wind gen (from a friend).

I think you wanted to start out with cruising the Bahamas? That's what we did twice, with a trip up to Georgia for hurricane season. Now, back in Texas where it all began 2 years ago. Time for a haulout and new bottom paint, then we're on our way again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	map.jpg
Views:	718
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	95548

Maybe you could find a nice little inexpensive boat, add some solar and a big battery bank, and go cruising for a year or two? Just clean out the house, and rent it out for a year. See if you and your SO enjoy the cruising life as much as you imagine you will. You really don't need your dream boat to make this happen. Also, many of the things you buy (like solar) you can remove when it's time to sell. Move that to the new boat.

Just some thoughts.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote