Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2010, 11:51   #1

Boat: 1985 Seidelmann 37 - s/v Bright Eyes
Too Many Crab Pots !

I've noticed that everytime I go to motor into an anchorage there are crab pots everywhere. It's bad enough during the day but at night its down right scary. My wife stands at the front and spots them and directs me with a flashlight. Its a pretty stressful situation like walking through a minefield.

We got one stuck on our prop once and couldn't change gears. It was a real pain and we had to go under to cut it off our prop.

Then once after we successfully navigated through some and anchored down for the night we were awoken by a crabber blarely his engine around our boat untill we came out. Then he yelled at us about our anchorage, I told him he doesn't own the water and I can anchor wherever I want.

So whats up with all these crabpots littering the channels of the Bay. I sail the Chesapeake and they are everywhere. Are there any laws limiting there use or placement? The crabbers act like they have claimed a stake of water as their own.

It's like if I decided I wanted to catch some rabbits and put rabbit traps all over the highway. Not only does it endanger others but then its a crime to move the trap out of my way.

What are your thoughts on this? Am I the only one tired of dodging these things? I know some readers are crabbers so feel free to give your input as well.
Old 19-08-2010, 12:20   #2

Boat: private yacht always moving
start looking at line cutters that go right before your props,,,,, in parts of Maine you can walk across the channels on all the lobster pot bouys
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 12:41   #3

Boat: 1985 Seidelmann 37 - s/v Bright Eyes
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
start looking at line cutters that go right before your props,,,,,
o yeah, the sad thing is that we spent $400 on a "prop guard" and it still wrapped up the crab pot line, buoy and all!
Old 19-08-2010, 12:50   #4
CLOD

Boat: none
In my area that makes me wonder is that they drop the lobster pots right in the middle of the channels! I used to wonder why a lobsterman would put them in the mooring field, but finally decided those the ones that took the ride on someone's boat.

I don't have a problem with them putting out the pots, they have to earn a living. But if they line the channels and anchoring motoring fields they can not complain that so get picked up etc. But it does get a little old sailing though the mine fields of them.
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 12:54   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Crab pot floats are a fact of life in the Chesapeake. The crabbers put the pots where the crabs are, and that changes with the season. Sometimes the amateur crabbers will drop a few pots right in the middle of a narrow channel. Some of my own neighbors did that where we lived on the Bay. Never could figure that one out.

The waterman who yelled at you might have been a trotline crabber. They have their favorite areas and need a long stretch of water to place the trotline, and you just might have anchored right across it. Inadvertently, of course.

I always subscribed to the "live and let live" philosophy. Those guys have a tough life, scratching out a meager living from the Bay. I knew some of them personally when I was younger. They deserve our respect, and it would be kind to give 'em a break.
Old 19-08-2010, 13:03   #6

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues
I second Hud's sentiment. Last few years have been tough on watermen, and there's actually fewer pots out because there's a moratorium on licenses, at least in Maryland.

Crab pots are not allowed in designated channels, so it's good to stay within them whenever possible.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 13:21   #7

Boat: PETERSON 44
Its the stray ones that worry me. When they are all together I know to watch out. Its that lonely one that Im afraid Ill catch.
Last week we went into the sassafrass in darkness. I was pretty sure there were less pots on the Northern mouth of the river so we went in that side.It was dark and moonless Didn't see but a few. I congratulated myself for figuring this out . When we left in daylight I wondered how they got so many pots down in such a short amount of time.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 13:26   #8
td1

I grew up around lobstermen, went to school with their kids, played on sports teams they coached, etc. These guys are trying to make a living and a lot of their families were doing it long before very many people took up boating for pleasure. I don't always agree with their tactics (like the guy who harassed you), but you need to remember that you're out there for fun and they're out there trying to feed their family and pay the mortgage.
td1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 14:31   #9

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisjay View Post
Crab pots are not allowed in designated channels, so it's good to stay within them whenever possible.

We have a similar law in NC, but fat chance getting it enforced. It seems that the local watercops are all related to the local crabbers!

A couple of years ago some crabbers started putting traps behind our boats in our marina. Some within 10 feet. It doesn't seem to be a problem anymore as they got tired of buying new crab traps. Funny how they seemed to get smashed to bits and end up on the shoreline somewhere. We never did figure out how that happened.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 14:42   #10

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
We have a similar law in NC, but fat chance getting it enforced. It seems that the local watercops are all related to the local crabbers!

A couple of years ago some crabbers started putting traps behind our boats in our marina. Some within 10 feet. It doesn't seem to be a problem anymore as they got tired of buying new crab traps. Funny how they seemed to get smashed to bits and end up on the shoreline somewhere. We never did figure out how that happened.
Mean while over on the crabbing forum.
These dam boaters keep anchoring in my fishing grounds. The marinas are adding more moorings. When I put my pots out in open water they call it a channel and then run them over. If them yachties aint wrapping line around their props their busy trying to make laws so we can't make a living. No wonder a few of them broke their mooring lines and wound up bashed up an a beach funny how that happened.
Old 19-08-2010, 15:30   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
'not to dimenish the concerns of those with other bottom configurations, but it is of interest that a boat with a full or three/quarter keel contiguous with the rudder and a full beam or "wine glass" hull can side over these trap floats and lines without concern. We don't pay attention to them day or night except when we happen to be in reverse. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 16:06   #12

Boat: C&C 35 Mk.II
It is certainly true that "modern" fin keel, spade rudder, exposed prop designs are more likely to catch on floats and lines than some of the more traditional boats. Personally, I'd feel a lot more comfortable with a line cutter on the shaft if I were in an area with a lot of these- not that I want to cut up anyone's traps, but a jammed prop is quite a serious safety hazard.

The guys trying to make a living this way have to go where the shellfish are, and they don't exactly have an easy time of it. Let's face it, it's only getting busier out there as it becomes harder to catch stuff, and as more people take up pleasure boating. We must all find ways to get along- and learning to appreciate what our fellow mariners need to do is a good place to start.
Old 19-08-2010, 16:16   #13

Thats what I thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
'not to dimenish the concerns of those with other bottom configurations, but it is of interest that a boat with a full or three/quarter keel contiguous with the rudder and a full beam or "wine glass" hull can side over these trap floats and lines without concern. We don't pay attention to them day or night except when we happen to be in reverse. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
My old full keel ketch would go right through a patch of pots. My modified full keel Peterson seems to draw them in. I agree the underbody hydrodynamic has a lot of effect. My peterson while spinning a 3 blade seems to favor sucking all the water and lines near by down along the hull and through the path/suction of the prop. Now when I know Im in areas that are trapped heavily I slow down to idel reduce the vacuum effect or try to sail through them. The ketch would throw them aside the peterson draws them in.
Old 19-08-2010, 16:55   #14

Boat: 36ft one off trimiran
This problem is world wide here in my local harbour, Port Adelaide in South Australia the local crabbers will put there pots all over the place 2 years ago one local crabber thought it would be good to drop pots across the mouth of the river and a pilot boat on his way out to meet a container ship fouled his props and was dead in the water from memory that particular crabber received a hefty fine for his stupidy as well as the bill for fixing the pilot boat and from a personel experience they think they are above the law why do the 7 knot limit when you can do 25 or more ?
cheers andy
trinescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 17:39   #15

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
In North Carolina we not only have a law that prohibits traps in marked channels, but we also have a law that prohibits traps in more than 6 feet of water. The later is mostly to prevent a clash between the crabbers and the trawl fishermen and doesn't have anything to do with recreational boaters. The state publishes charts delineating the areas where crab traps may be placed. The problem is these maps are totally ignored by the local crabbers. Even worse some of these crabbers like to paint their bouys black. They are virtually impossible to see in the dark or at low sun angles. If I take my boat into a designated crabbing area either to anchor, moor, or navigate then it's my fault if I hit a trap, but if I'm in an area where it is clearly illegal to trap crabs, then I should not be responsible for any damages. I did hit one trap when coming in at a low sun angle. Before the engine stalled it managed to completely wrap the line around the prop and to beat the remainder of the trap to pieces on my bottom, taking out a chunk of fiberglass. This trap was in the middle of the marked channel and clearly in the no crabbing area marked on the state charts and in 9 feet of water. Unfortunately the bouy was so damaged that I was unable to identify the owner. If I would have been able to, we would have met in court and he could have paid for the damages. About a month ago the traps were so close in the narrowest part of the channel I had to take one between the hulls of my cat just to miss two others.

After that I wrote a very courteous e-mail to the local marine patrol district manager and asked him to have his local officers enforce the specific laws about placement of crab traps. He said he would have his patrol officers look into the situation. One month and 11 days later the traps are still there. One of the local fellows pointed out to me that the local patrol officer was from a family of crabbers and it would make for some awkward family get togethers if he busted his cousins.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote