Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2006, 17:07   #31

After spending over 30 years making my living on the water I only have one thing to say about BC ferries and Active Pass (or similar waters): Common sense says to stay out of thier way when they are in a restricted channel. They are not always on the ball (witness the sinking of the 'Queen of The North" hitting an island by an "act of god") but they have a hell of a lot of boat that they are trying to control - they don't need pleasure boaters adding wildcard variables.
You can be dead right.
sundown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2006, 20:00   #32

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Sundown,

Has there been any news regarding the QotN (by the way, there's a good picture of it in rsn48's link)? You say "act of god" but I thought the investigation been hamstrung by the reluctance of the bridge crew to talk. Let me get this right - it was at night and there were two people on the bridge of opposite gender, and neither noticed the approaching island - makes you wonder what they were doing?

K
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2006, 20:13   #33

The last I heard is that some passengers had initiated what they hope will become a class action suit. The one thing that has come out of their action is that the two people who were on the bridge have been named: I don't recall the names but it was the 4th officer and a lady deckhand.
I hope that the suit will be able to force an accounting of the bridge crew's actions - as it stands now they are simply stone walling.
The designation that the sinking was 'an act of god' is part of a smoke an mirrors maneuver so the Ferry Corp can minimize thier finacial loss (and possibly liability?).
sundown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2006, 20:21   #34

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
The woman was on the wheel and the officer of the watch. The woman on the wheel was the one who had a suicide watch over her after the incident; understandably she took it hard.

All have "talked" at one of the governments hearings, its internally they haven't talked at the recommendation of the union.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2006, 10:08   #35
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
wrong joystick?