Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2021, 15:56   #61

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Up above the sunny skies in south California

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
Wow. Serendipitous shopping by you.

Of course, those were different times. That Herreshoff Bristol Caravel 22 we bought in 1971 was $3,500 new in sail-away condition, minus radio and depth-sounder. Great little boat. With a 3'6" draft, I would've run aground 30 or so minutes after you did.
Do you know about this guy that sailed his Bristol 22 from Port Townsend, Washington to Australia.........and back!

I once saw a picture of the interior of Bill's boat before he left Australia, and the whole thing was completely filled with supplies with a tiny place to rest/sleep in the center low

https://sites.google.com/site/bristo...els/bristol-22

And another Bristol story.

http://archive.naplesnews.com/news/l...337642361.html
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 18:07   #62

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Do you know about this guy that sailed his Bristol 22 from Port Townsend, Washington to Australia.........and back!

I once saw a picture of the interior of Bill's boat before he left Australia, and the whole thing was completely filled with supplies with a tiny place to rest/sleep in the center low

https://sites.google.com/site/bristo...els/bristol-22

And another Bristol story.

Sailor's journey of a lifetime ends in Naples
Way cool.
I like this line

Despite Wolfram’s achievement, the Caravel should really be considered a safe and capable daysailer and coastal cruiser for short overnight trips for two people.

So my dad with his 3 young sons and young wife saw fit to do a little more than that.

We traveled from Plymouth, Mass., to Deer Island, Maine and back. It's no ocean crossing, but it ain't a weekend trip for two, either.

It's all in the diary he left, which I inherited when he departed this world. I also have all the charts, marked up with his navigation and readings from the sextant (for there was no GPS).

Sometimes I'll be on a 41', 10-ton cruiser in "ground swells" that are "quite large," as he puts it, and wonder how the hell he did that in a boat half the size...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1721.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	460.4 KB
ID:	234467   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1723.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	459.9 KB
ID:	234468  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1724.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	234469  
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 05:21   #63

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Way cool.
I like this line

Despite Wolfram’s achievement, the Caravel should really be considered a safe and capable daysailer and coastal cruiser for short overnight trips for two people.

So my dad with his 3 young sons and young wife saw fit to do a little more than that.

We traveled from Plymouth, Mass., to Deer Island, Maine and back. It's no ocean crossing, but it ain't a weekend trip for two, either.

It's all in the diary he left, which I inherited when he departed this world. I also have all the charts, marked up with his navigation and readings from the sextant (for there was no GPS).

Sometimes I'll be on a 41', 10-ton cruiser in "ground swells" that are "quite large," as he puts it, and wonder how the hell he did that in a boat half the size...
What a nice memory he left for you......... and it appears to have made a lasting impression since you are still sailing
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 09:15   #64

I learned to sail in Southern California and it is a joy to day sail there during transition season and the winter months. Check out marina sailing, if you haven't already, they are the largest sailing club in California. As a member you can charter out of all the major harbors in Southern California. Give them a try during winter when the charter fee is reduced by 25%. They also have a few Catalina's in their fleet.
JustKumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 11:22   #65

SailingAbe is right about California. Better elsewhere if you prefer freedom.. Age impairments stops me from leaving.
dick sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 12:07   #66

Only reason to live in CA is if you want to make money, you have lots of money.
If you want to have quality of life go somewhere else. Here the Gov control every aspect of your life. In many places you cant even go on a hike unless you pay for a permit.
You would pay for everything here, or be cited up your nose. The weather is great nature is amazing if you go far far away from all the people. There are people everywhere. Everything cost 3-4 times as much. Rules for everything you might want to do.
If you didn't notice I'm tired of CA and cant wait to go somewhere anywhere asap.
Niece joined the Airforce and lives in Texas. She said she rather not even come to visit here anymore
hope to leave this place in a year time.
My half a cent rant...
fireant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 17:15   #67

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I get tired of all the California bashing! I’ve lived in New York City, Maryland, Minnesota, Arizona, North Florida and finally Southern California. Every place has pluses and minuses. For me and millions of others the pluses here outweigh the minuses. If you are so unhappy with California you have choices.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 18:02   #68
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
I get tired of all the California bashing! I’ve lived in New York City, Maryland, Minnesota, Arizona, North Florida and finally Southern California. Every place has pluses and minuses. For me and millions of others the pluses here outweigh the minuses. If you are so unhappy with California you have choices.
Second that... California must be a beautiful place to live. Many openminded, kind people I know are from there. I wish I were also a resident of that pleasant state; I envy you.
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 18:21   #69

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full View Post
Second that... California must be a beautiful place to live. Many openminded, kind people I know are from there. I wish I were also a resident of that pleasant state; I envy you.
I envy Tayana's boat.

Full, I've already decided I'm moving to the Chesapeake, hopefully with a shallow enough draft that I can keep her in Deep Creek.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 18:23   #70

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
So true, Tayana...my wife & I were born & raised in So Cal...went to college (CSULB then UCSF and she at UCSB). Learn to sail on SF bay then Newport thru Goldenwest JC. then Santa Barbara...but just couldnt afford it so moved to CT....had to be near saltwater...if ever on the east coast give Guilford, CT a look...its no Santa Barbara, but its nice....
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 09:55   #71
lyl

Quote:
I envy Tayana's boat.

Full, I've already decided I'm moving to the Chesapeake, hopefully with a shallow enough draft that I can keep her in Deep Creek.
Chesapeake is beautiful too. Enjoy!
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 14:19   #72

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Up above the sunny skies in south California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodsail View Post
So true, Tayana...my wife & I were born & raised in So Cal...went to college (CSULB then UCSF and she at UCSB). Learn to sail on SF bay then Newport thru Goldenwest JC. then Santa Barbara...but just couldnt afford it so moved to CT....had to be near saltwater...if ever on the east coast give Guilford, CT a look...its no Santa Barbara, but its nice....

Oh yeah, I forgot to include that I lived in New Haven CT. Kept boat in Branford and in New Haven harbor. Guilford is indeed beautiful.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, california